Is Sony HW30ES worth it over Epson 3020 in my case? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

For a while I have been considering which projector to buy.

I started to consider the BenQ W1070 but I think I may not be happy with a DLP projector again, so I have increased my budget and I am looking at alternatives.

I have been leaning towards the Epson TW-6100 (The equivalent US model is Epson 3020 I believe) - but I have been considering the Sony VPL-HW30ES too, even though that's going to be quite a stretch of my budget.

The room where I'm going to put the projector is a basement room which I can make completely dark if I want to. However the ceiling and walls are white, except for the wall where the projector is mounted (which is black/very dark grey). The floor is covered with a light grey carpet.

With my current setup I have usually had a little bit of ambient light in the room (like a few candles and a very dimmed lamp on - not so close to the screen though) - but this is primarily because I have been getting tired in my eyes if I sit in complete darkness, this could change with a new projector though.

My screen is 92" diagonal 16:9, it's a slightly grey screen (as far as I remember the screen is called Quality Screen Greyline).

Regarding 3D I don't know how much I will be using it - I think it would be really cool to have, but I'm unsure how much I'd be using it as I haven't had 3D in my home before. It may turn out that I think it's awesome and use it a lot, but it may also turn out that I don't use it so often - it's a bit hard to tell for me.

Which projector would you think I should choose between these two? Is the increased cost of the Sony worth it over the Epson? I live in Denmark and the price of the Sony is approximately (after a currency change to USD) 2800$ and the Epson is 1900$

Let me know if there are some details I have missed, I hope someone can help me a bit. Thanks in advance smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You may want to address your question about the Sony over in the Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owner's Thread.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 5 Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I can try that smile.gif Thanks smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
What kind of media do you watch and percentage, tv, sports, games and movies?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

It's almost only movies (primarily blu-ray, but I'm planning to get another tv-box so I can rent movies online, or perhaps netflix at some point). In the past I have only been using my projector a little bit for games (Xbox 360) - it may become a bit more with a new projector though (I got too tired in my eyes when gaming on my old projector), but I will definitely still primarily be using the projector for movies. I never use it for regular tv watching like news and sports.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page