Help me build a new home theater (please!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I’ve decided to scratch buying a new plasma/lcd and go straight to the projector scene. I’d love to hear some opinions if you guys think I’m on the right track. Maybe what you'd do if you had it to do over again. My requirement is that this setup has to really have a ‘wow’ factor.

I’m open to any changes or ideas. Max cost 7k – and that's after a few drinks. I’m leaning towards bang for the buck. Before I begin I want to thank everyone who’s posted on these boards, it’s really helped me narrow this down.

Known’s:
This setup will be used mainly at night in a light colored room to watch movies. There will be very little tv viewing.
Seating distance: 12’ (1 row)
Projector distance: 13’
Projector location: 2’ above eye level, center screen
Screen: approx. 120”, 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Potential Projectors:
Epson 5020 - $2500+
3d and the various posts and shootouts have led me to this. It looks like it will handle everything – games, 2d and 3d – really well.

Benq w7000 - $1900+
This projector appears to be among the best at 3d, there is concern over the potential rainbow effect of the DLP.

Potential Screens:
This will be a pulldown or electric screen. There will be little day time viewing, excess light will be mostly taken care of by curtains.
Da-Lite HP – $1000? - 2.4 gain
There really is only seating in the center, the projector will also be located here. My impression is that this screen is the cost/performance option.

SI Black Diamond 1.4 - $3500+! – 1.4 gain
This will probably solve any issues, and cure world hunger. This could be a great purchase if the screen lasts 10 years and there are multiple projector upgrades along the way… right!?

Biggest Concerns:
Will these combinations of options play nicely together?
Unfortunately, when I think home projector I often imagine a horrible, washed out image displaying a PowerPoint slide show from work. This is not for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason7 View Post

Biggest Concerns:
Will these combinations of options play nicely together?
Unfortunately, when I think home projector I often imagine a horrible, washed out image displaying a PowerPoint slide show from work. This is not for me.

I did the same thing. Was looking at a 65" TV but kept being drawn to the 70+" Sharps. Ended up getting an Epson 3020. IMO, any of those projectors will do you just fine. My room is set up the same as yours (heavy, light-blocking curtains, etc.) and the 3020 suits me just fine - and it's at the low end of the price range.

Personally, though, I wouldn't spend 1K on a screen. Today's projectors (specially the 30/50 series epsons) throw out massive lumen; you're not going to get a washed out image. Look at this from my (out of the box settings) 3020 on a $200 screen at 10'.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Looks awesome. I didn't realize anyone had offered any advice!

I ended up with a Panasonic ae8000 projector that I got for a good price with the free glasses and warranty. It's my first projector and it really is amazing.

I also got a Da-Lite 120" HP pull down screen to go with it, spent about $500 delivered. This has been a monstrous combination. I sit about 13 feet back and it's actually a bit too close, giving me really bad mental fatigue so I'm trying different things to combat it.

Thanks for the reply, didn't mean for there to be a long delay!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason7 View Post

Looks awesome. I didn't realize anyone had offered any advice!

I ended up with a Panasonic ae8000 projector that I got for a good price with the free glasses and warranty. It's my first projector and it really is amazing.

I also got a Da-Lite 120" HP pull down screen to go with it, spent about $500 delivered. This has been a monstrous combination. I sit about 13 feet back and it's actually a bit too close, giving me really bad mental fatigue so I'm trying different things to combat it.

Thanks for the reply, didn't mean for there to be a long delay!

I'm about the same distance and don't have any fatigue. How large is your projected picture. Mine is around 92" and seems about right; maybe you are too close and your picture too big?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I was going with the full 120" projected picture, I've since gone down to 100" which seems about right. I have to admit though, the 120" was amazing. It was a 37 degree field of view, It's now down to 31 degree which is much better for me. Thanks for the follow up.