Looking To Get A Projector For Under $350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a projector for my living room to replace my old 51" BigScreen TV. The $350 i hope is to cover the projector, screen, wall mount and anything else needed to get going. We sit about 12.5 Feet away from the viewing area were we plan to mount the screen. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What i currently was Looking at:

V06B LCD Projector 1080P Home Theater $169.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V06B-LCD-Projector-1080P-Home-Theater-HDMI-WII-PS3-DVD-/280676569967?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4159a0936f


78" MOVIE PROJECTOR SCREE $49.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280913431492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Durvelle27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You are not being very realistic. $350? That projector is a toy for your kids, at best.
lousygolfer likes this.
Jim McC is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sheridan1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That projector is Chinese JUNK!!! These forums are full of reports warning people to stay away from these units. They're also known as "White Van Scams". Look closely at the specs, it isn't even HD, the NATIVE resolution 640 X 480!! Which means that any source resolution that is higher is DOWN-GRADED!! And the Contrast Ratio is a JOKE at 600:1. This is not a major player in the projector market and you will not find anyone stateside that will support it. If you have a problem with it, where does it go? I'm guessing back to to China.

I would seriously rethink your strategy. As was already posted, $350 is not a serious number for what you want to do. Of course, you're free to do what you want but you came here asking for our opinions and we had to tell it like it is. Good luck.
lousygolfer likes this.
Sheridan1952 is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
RonAlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomingdale, Il
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
this is a joke right?
RonAlam is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
RonAlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomingdale, Il
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
also...loving the giant thumbs up with "good" written on it...
RonAlam is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea i know a lot of people have been telling me that my budget was to low but i found this one for $290. Is it any good


ACER H5360 720P 1280x720 2500 ANSI Lumens NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready Home Theater DLP Projector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
RonAlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomingdale, Il
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
for 290 yes
RonAlam is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
kmannth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you look into used projectors at all?
kmannth is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Amber Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
make sure to read that white van topic dot dot dot.

Edit: Here I found you the link, read up.
Amber Ale is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

Did you look into used projectors at all?

yea a few like the one i found on HardForum.com which is the Acer i linked. It has 536hrs on the lamp
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

yea a few like the one i found on HardForum.com which is the Acer i linked. It has 536hrs on the lamp

The 5360 is a decent projector, but buying a used projector is VERY risky. You need to save more money. What will you do when the bulb goes? The average bulb cost is about $275.
Jim McC is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

The 5360 is a decent projector, but buying a used projector is VERY risky. You need to save more money. What will you do when the bulb goes? The average bulb cost is about $275.
By time that happens i really won't mind ?

Here is one:

PROJECTOR LAMP BULB FOR ACER H5360 $102
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROJECTOR-LAMP-BULB-FOR-ACER-H5360-H5360BD-P1303W-P1270-P5271i-P5271-H7530-P1206-/280999570211?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item416ce12b23
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sheridan1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Be ABSOLUTELY certain that this IS the CORRECT lamp. Do NOT depend on the seller to be honest or knowledgeable. I once saw a listing where the seller had a long list of projectors the lamp he was selling was "compatible" with. I only had to take a look at just a handful on his list to figure out he was lying.

The wrong lamp can do or more of the following....

Not work at all

Work for a few hours and fail because it was barely in the projectors operational parameters to begin with...

Work for several hundred hours

Damage your projector. I know of 2 people who bought so-called "compatible" lamps only to have to replace damaged optical parts after a few hours.

So do your homework before you try and save a few bucks, chances are, it will be waste of your money.
Sheridan1952 is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that this IS the CORRECT lamp. Do NOT depend on the seller to be honest or knowledgeable. I once saw a listing where the seller had a long list of projectors the lamp he was selling was "compatible" with. I only had to take a look at just a handful on his list to figure out he was lying.
The wrong lamp can do or more of the following....
Not work at all
Work for a few hours and fail because it was barely in the projectors operational parameters to begin with...
Work for several hundred hours
Damage your projector. I know of 2 people who bought so-called "compatible" lamps only to have to replace damaged optical parts after a few hours.
So do your homework before you try and save a few bucks, chances are, it will be waste of your money.
Wasn't gonna buy just was using that as a reference
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Member
 
fido dido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If your going to use it for tv you should look into led projectors like lg hx300 or acer k330 (any of its clones) or lg pa70, you dont have to worry about a bulb
fido dido is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido dido View Post

If your going to use it for tv you should look into led projectors like lg hx300 or acer k330 (any of its clones) or lg pa70, you dont have to worry about a bulb
Out of the budget
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Amber Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

Out of the budget

Your all backwards on this. Using a projector for a tv, that's alot of hours on the bulb and strikes on the lamp. Your going to be spending way more $$$ on projector lamps than you think. All those "this lamp will last 6000 hours on the side of the projector box" it's mostly bs.

I suggest reading up on bulbs, lamp strikes etc. so you have a better idea of what your getting yourself into.
Amber Ale is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmannth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have bought a used projector before. Just be sure about the return policy and know about the bulb situation. If you get a projector that is messed up you just send it back. There are plenty of cream puffs out there. You are on a tight budget. Do a ton of research.
kmannth is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Just a head's up...

The LG PA70G (as suggested above) is on sale at Fry's right now for $399 and you could always shoot it on a wall until you can get a screen.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

Your all backwards on this. Using a projector for a tv, that's alot of hours on the bulb and strikes on the lamp. Your going to be spending way more $$$ on projector lamps than you think. All those "this lamp will last 6000 hours on the side of the projector box" it's mostly bs.
I suggest reading up on bulbs, lamp strikes etc. so you have a better idea of what your getting yourself into.
Like mentioned above yes it will be used for tv and movies but we don't watch much tv in the living room so that's why i said it wasn't a problem but when we do watch tv its not very long maybe an 1hr at max
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

I have bought a used projector before. Just be sure about the return policy and know about the bulb situation. If you get a projector that is messed up you just send it back. There are plenty of cream puffs out there. You are on a tight budget. Do a ton of research.
Yea i've been doing some heavy research and the return policy i'll check up on that. Also we talked about the bulb has about 500hrs on it as he said he no longer uses it.
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just want to clarify the projector will be 12.5FT away mounted on the wall will a 78" screen be adequate
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crussader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

Like mentioned above yes it will be used for tv and movies but we don't watch much tv in the living room so that's why i said it wasn't a problem but when we do watch tv its not very long maybe an 1hr at max

This not a very efficient way to use a projector. Just the act of turning the projector on uses up about an hour of a bulb's life due to the "strike". So, if you just watch an hour at a time, you effectively cut the bulb life in half. Also, you can't watch for a half hour, turn it off, come back half an hour later and turn it on again. Once a projector is turned off, the bulb needs time to cool completely before starting the projector again. "Striking" a hot lamp can cause it to burst.
lousygolfer likes this.

David
crussader is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post

Like mentioned above yes it will be used for tv and movies but we don't watch much tv in the living room so that's why i said it wasn't a problem but when we do watch tv its not very long maybe an 1hr at max

Funny how I never wanted to watch TV and when I did it was only for a short time.. Once you get a nice projection setup, you will find you want to watch TV.. You are no longer watching the little box..
airscapes is online now  
post #26 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Durvelle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post

This not a very efficient way to use a projector. Just the act of turning the projector on uses up about an hour of a bulb's life due to the "strike". So, if you just watch an hour at a time, you effectively cut the bulb life in half. Also, you can't watch for a half hour, turn it off, come back half an hour later and turn it on again. Once a projector is turned off, the bulb needs time to cool completely before starting the projector again. "Striking" a hot lamp can cause it to burst.
Like i mentioned its not a problem as we don't watch tv very long especially since were gone most of the time as i have school and work and she works so not much time spent watching tvs unless its family time which isn't but probably once a week or a big game
Durvelle27 is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Newbie
 
seiavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As everyone is suggesting here, if you are going to be using it for watching TV, save for some time and go in for an LED projector. Once you start watching TV on the projector, I can assure it you it won't be for only an hour. Also, you will need to get frequent lamp replacements, which will result in 2 things -
1. You will spend way more than you had planned- even if you manage to snag those lamps at $100 (though I don't trust that at all; lamps should be bought from the manufacturer)
2. You will stop using the projector altogether because you have to spend too much on lamps.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.
seiavs is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off