Espson 5020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at getting the 5020UBe for my basement theater room.
Basement 13'10" x 24' and is light controlled and can totally dark if need be, but
I would like to have some ambient light in the room for watching sports if possible
Because of my room setup I need to put the projector on a shelf mount in the back of the room.
So I will be projecting from approximately 23'
Will the 5020 produce a bright enough image on a 140" diy screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

45 views and no responses. Doesn't anybody have any thoughts on my question. Really need to know if the 5020 will be able to project a bright enough image from 23' to a 140" screen.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have a 120" HP screen and I am presently using a Epson 6010 (which has been great!) and it is very bright in normal lamp mode from 18 feet. You can always use high lamp mode if necessary. I think you're O.K. for 2D. 3D is another matter and you'll probably have to use dynamic mode to get the brightness you'll require -- just knock saturation down by six or seven clicks.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Would it work if I had a high gain screen?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The only high gain screen I would recommend (and reasonably priced) is the Da-lite High Power. It does not hot spot and has a gain of 2.4. Since it is retroreflective you must put the projector close to eye level to get the most gain out of the screen. A few feet above or below works fine. It still looks great four feet or so above or below head level. This is simply a great screen for 2D and 3D. Blacks still look extremely good on this HP screen and for 3D it s amazing. I presently have four different screens and the HP rules -- "One screen to rule them all!" Like everything there are detractors who disagree with me so you should order a sample and try it. I learned my lesson -- not spending any more money on other screens.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Deja Vu.
Another question. With the lens shift on the 5020, can I ceiling mount the projector on the side wall at say 15' without losing out on picture quality?
If I did this the projector would be approximately 6 1/2 feet from the center of screen.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffers244 View Post

Thanks for the response Deja Vu.
Another question. With the lens shift on the 5020, can I ceiling mount the projector on the side wall at say 15' without losing out on picture quality?
If I did this the projector would be approximately 6 1/2 feet from the center of screen.

6 1/2 feet is quite a bit off, you would not gain anything by going with a HP screen as the projector really needs to be as centered as possible. I have the Da-Lite 106" 2.4 HP screen and I have a JVC centered at eye level, the image is amazing and looks like a giant plasma. Out of the 4 different screens I have owned this is the best.

I have a friend who has a Epson 5010 with a 108" Black Diamond screen and he thinks my screen looks better (image wise) than his $3600 screen. If you can shelf mount it close to eye level you will be amazed how well these screens perform.

This is how I ended up setting it up. There are now 3 projectors on this rack as I added a Epson 8350 for gaming.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

But would I need a high gain screen if I was able to mount the projector closer to the screen itself?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffers244 View Post

But would I need a high gain screen if I was able to mount the projector closer to the screen itself?

The high gain screen will really help with 3D, what I noticed with my JVC which isn't that bright it really helped with both 2D and 3D without loosing contrast or black levels. In your case you could lower the brightness in 2D which would help with bulb life and in 3D it would just help period. The rule in 3D is the brighter the better. I have a an Epson 8350 for TV and games and I can keep it on econo mode and lower the brightness down a little more which helps with black levels and is still very bright even with some light on.

Zombie who is one of the top guru's here turned me onto the HP screen idea. It has been one of the best purchases for my home theater.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page