Official BenQ MW519 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my BenQ MW519 projector and would like to find some peers for discussing configuration settings, and implementation options.

The official release announcement is tracked in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437075/benqs-next-generation-smarteco-projectors-now-shipping

The Vendor page is here
http://www.benq.com/product/projector/mw519

Throw Calculator (pick MW519 in the pulldown)
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

Key Specifications
  • Street prices around $550 (about half of my target BenQ W1070 projector)
  • DLP, Native WXGA(1280 x 800)
  • Brightness 2800AL (800 more than the W1070
  • Contrast Ratio: 13000:1
  • Lamp(Normal/Economic Mode/SmartEco Mode) : 4500/6000/6500 hours
  • No Optical Keystone, but digital provided
  • Vetical Scan Rate: 23~120Hz
  • Dimensions(W x H x D): 302.8 x 111.8x 221.8 mm
  • Native HDMI 1.4 3D support, no converter required (Key difference over the previous generation MW516)

My story:
I would consider myself an advanced amature audio/videophile having run sound boards for public radio, and local churches, and paying for college by taking senior and wedding pictures (giving me a bit of an eye for color/contrast). I'm handy and frugal looking for a good bang for the buck. So I'm not going to be a severe critic, and recognize that my budget will require compromise. I've had a BenQ6200, and a Optoma HD70. My story with the Benq MW516 started when I received an offer to buy my Optoma HD70 which I viewed it as a decent 1000 lumen (required full dark room) 720p projector, vintage 2006, that was a step up in resolution from my prior BenQ6200, but a step down in lumens. So I started searching for inexpensive upgrade options with my key wish list upgrades of
1) a brighter image that could support a bit of ambient light when projecting 140" diagonal on a flat white primered wall.
2) 3D capability for a new PS3 that my teenagers are getting for Christmas, currently its used 70% XBOX, 30% movies/tv.
3) Movie viewing: 1080p was a desire but 1280x720 works for our seating distance
4) Nothing over $1000; ideally around 500-700USD
5) Desired prior to Christmas 2012

With this criteria, I searched around and considered the following options:
  • W1070 - my ideal option (and still an upgrade option that I'll watch over the next year), but I missed the NCIX Canada price of $850 over black friday and could not get it shipped to the US without warranty and customs risks. Locally it was not yet available in the US. Furthermore, its price was 40% higher than the MW519. Remember, this was an unexpected opportunity for upgrade; not something that we had budgeted for.
  • HD66 - 3D support required external $200 box; I could not plug the PS3 in directly for 3D. Also lots of questionable endurance issues reported in various forums.
  • Optoma GT750E - short throw distance would help with Kinect, but price was higher and no optical zoom would make setup difficult
  • Epson 8350 - good resolution, but missing native 3D, and price migher than MW519.
  • Benq MW516 - same price as MW519, but missing native 3D support

Having missed out on the cheap BenQ W1070, and realizing that I would like to have a few pairs of 3D glasses in my budget, I ordered the MW519. Yea it is not a "Home Theater" projector with a native 16x9 format, but it has the proper pixel width so scaling is not required, and the black bars on the top and bottom are not a big issue when projecting on my borderless screen (wall). What I actually noticed was that these newer projectors are much better at making sure the black bars are black and not too noticeable. I really liked the idea of not having to purchase an external 3D converter, but was initially a bit scared off by some threads on the web indicating that the BenQ used a proprietary 3D sync for their glasses/projectors. Further research and a call to the BenQ support line makes me believe that standard 120Hz DLP Link glasses will work with this projector. I've ordered a couple pair of SainSonic 144Hz 3D DLP-Link Ready Universal Rechargeable Active Shutter Glasses that should work with the W1070 should I find the opportunity to uprade in the future.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSonic-144Hz-3D-DLP-Link-Ready-Universal-Rechargeable-Active-Shutter-Glasses-/180897556929?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
I've only tested them with some Youtube SBS videos but they seem to be working fine from distances of 5' to 25'. The PS3 is still under the tree so I cannot report how well they work with Blu-ray.

As of writing this page, I've only had it for two days, but I can report that it's 2800 lumen brighness is awesome! I've set it on full Economy mode, in cinema, with all auto brightness settings off and it works great with ambient light that completely washed out my 1000 lumen HD70.

As for noise, it's comparable to my HD70. The one concern that I do have and will be watching closely is a slight ticking coming from the fan when I inverted it for ceiling mounting. I did not hear it on day 2, so it may just have been a dust fleck that needed to work its way out.
It's not whisper quiet, but silent enough to not be a distraction from my budget movie experience.

On the internal speaker, all I'll say is that it works, but no projector speaker is intended for theater use, so I'll have it turned off.

For the image, it's nice and bright. I've not had a chance to mess with any of the color/calibration settings, but out of the box it was watchable, and the colors popped much better than my HD70. I do notice the screen door effect a bit more than on the HD70, but I think that's because the greater brightness makes the between pixel darkness more obvious. So I scooted my recliner back another foot to about 14' and all is good. But this does highlight one argument for going after 1080p if you're upgrading from an older more dim projector like the x1.

My kids report that XBOX gaming is working well in 1st person shooters, with no appreciable lag. They really like the additional brightness, and report that their scores are improving now that they can see zombies that once hid in corners that were too dark to see into.

Light leakage - there was a bit of indirect light coming out of the fan exaust port, and a bit of reflection shining about a foot in front of the projector on the ceiling (when ceiling mounted). Neither are noticeable enough to interfere with my viewing experience.

So overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and am looking forward to getting the 3D features hooked up. For the money, I think it's the best all-rounder on the market.

If you have a MW519, or even a MW516, and have some calibration settings that are working for you, please share so that I can try them out.

UPDATE - After hanging on to the MW519 for a little over a month, I ended up returning the unit due to the remote locking up when I would be using the 3D settings menus. I ended up replacing it with the W1070 since it was now available, and some additional post Christmas budget had come available. So what did I get for my extra $400, you may ask. The answer is not much for the under $1000 crowd. The MW519 is comparably bright and able to project the same size image with a decent amount of ambient light. The W1070 is native 1080p, which lets me sit about 5 feet closer without seeing any screen door effect. This was my main reason for upgrading. My recliner is pirched right on the verge of the 1.5x screen width distance. The W1070 does not have the light black bars of unused pixels across the top and bottom of the 16x9 content. Using the Sainsonics, the 3D image on dark scenes is more viewable (less dark) on the W1070. As for the overall picture quality difference, my wife and kids did not notice much of a difference. So, what's my net recommendation? If you're needing a shorter throw, plan to use a screen or framed area rather than a wall, or plan to sit close (< 1.5x screen width) then consider saving your $ for the W1070. Otherwise, consider the MW519, it is a very nice 3D ready unit for anyone looking to stay under $900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Hello krusemarks,

can you say something about the RBE ?
Uses the MW519 a DC2 or DC3? I can´t find any detailed information.

At the moment i have a Benq W700, it has a stronger RBE than my old HD70/HD700x/HD600x. I like the picture Quality of the W700, but i miss the native 3D support.

The MW519 sounds nice: bright, HDMI 1.4a, 1280x800(not perfect, but more pixel are better than less), small and cheap(100€ cheaper than the Acer 5360BD).
post #3 of 76 Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I am noticing more rainbow on the MW519 than I did on my HD70, but it's generally not during the movie. I notice it most as the kids are flipping through menus on the game systems. I suspect that it's due to the brighter image. We watched Bourne Ultimatum where there's lots of bright bouncing around and it was not a problem during the show. I don't think I'm particularly susceptible to RBE, so I'm not sure if I'm a good measuring stick. The brighter image also makes the screendoor more apparent, so 1.5x screen size seating distance is mandatory.

We just got the PS3 hooked up, and I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the playback in 3D. We watched the Disney Brave 3D blu-ray and it was a bit jerky through some of the action sequences where the girl was riding her horse and shooting at targets. It's also still noticeably dark on much of the show (140" screen). I also watched a side-by-side of how to train your dragon, but for 75% of the show it was too dark, and I noticed the kids taking off the glasses until it brightened up. Now some of this may be the SainSonic glasses, so take my comments accordingly. We did enjoy a SBS of Madagascar 3 due to it's brighter overall tone.

Sadly, I'm going to have to send this unit back because I've had repeated instances where the remote stops responding after an hour or two of projector time. The ceiling mount does not let the family have an alternative way of shutting it down. So now I have to figure out whether I should save up the cash for the W1070. Knowing how dark 3D is, and that the 1070 is fewer lumens has me concerned that the 3D may be harder to watch; even if it is smoother due to the 144Hz refresh rate.

One other update, I tried comparing the component vs HDMI feed and noticed that the component was softer than the HDMI. On my HD70 I could never tell a difference.

Even with all the above, I think it's still a decent option for the < $1000 crowd.
post #4 of 76 Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Thank´s for the response.

my MW519 is on the way, i will compare it to my W700 and the better one will stay. I´m afraid the benq will be a little to bright, for my 95-105" screen(i thoght the same about the W700 and now i love it).
I hope the RBE will be comparable to the W700(i can´t really enjoy dark movies like lotr, but the overall picture quality is great enough to live with this problem). I´ve tested an old Acer XD.... 1024x768 DLP at home few weeks ago, the RBE was so bad, i could not watch 30 min. without a break, this would be a no go. Tommorw i will know more.
post #5 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Great write-up. I too was eying the W1070 but wanted something cheaper and sooner. I ended up going with the Vivitek D803W-3D which, based on your description, sounds like it's quite similar to the MW519 except with a notable brightness boost. Based on your complaint about 3D brightness with the MW519, I'd give the Vivitek D803W-3D a look... at 3600 lumens it is a torch and the brightness/contrast compensation applied with 3D engaged seems to do the job quite well with my XPand X102 glasses.

Could you describe the process (remote presses, menus, etc) for engaging 3D and selecting the 3D mode on the MW519? This is my biggest complaint about the Vivitek... it takes way too many button presses to engage 3D and select the 3D mode. There are a few other minor quibles you would expect with a $600 projector (mediocre build quality, occasionally a little loud if fan speed picks up), but otherwise it's a great little projector with excellent 2D PQ, solid 3D performance, and local availability if you're near a MicroCenter.

post #6 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 AM

thanks for your review. It would be great if someone made a comparison between this projector and the acer h5360bd, in terms of picture quality and RBE.

about 3D, it's strange that brightness is so low because the 2800 lumens should ensure a bright image, even in 3D. Maybe your glasses are the problem... aren't they too dark? And is your screen at least 1.0 gain?
what really scares me is the motion flow in 3D mode, and you said sometimes in fast scenes it's a bit jerky...

about 2D, how are the black level and contrast in general? a DLP with 13000:1 contrast should be very good in that sense.

I'm waiting for other opinions by users that bought this pj, so I can finally make my choice wink.gif

thanks again, bye.
post #7 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Great write-up. I too was eying the W1070 but wanted something cheaper and sooner. I ended up going with the Vivitek D803W-3D which, based on your description, sounds like it's quite similar to the MW519 except with a notable brightness boost. Based on your complaint about 3D brightness with the MW519, I'd give the Vivitek D803W-3D a look... at 3600 lumens it is a torch and the brightness/contrast compensation applied with 3D engaged seems to do the job quite well with my XPand X102 glasses.
Could you describe the process (remote presses, menus, etc) for engaging 3D and selecting the 3D mode on the MW519? This is my biggest complaint about the Vivitek... it takes way too many button presses to engage 3D and select the 3D mode. There are a few other minor quibles you would expect with a $600 projector (mediocre build quality, occasionally a little loud if fan speed picks up), but otherwise it's a great little projector with excellent 2D PQ, solid 3D performance, and local availability if you're near a MicroCenter.

The 3D button is right on the remote. In fact, most any function I find myself needing has a dedicated button or shortcut on the remote. You simply push the 3D button and that menu comes up. That lets you toggle the 3D formats or choose auto. The other option is to invert the glasses. Auto always works with 3D enabled media, but you can ALSO force a 2D to 3D conversion of non-3D media. They don't mention this as a feature, but just like the Vivitek, you have that option. I was also looking at your model but decided on the BenQ because the BenQ has a 13,000:1 Contrast ratio, the bulb comes with a 1 year warranty and lasts for up to 6,500 in Eco mode. GREAT unit for the money, I don't regret it for a second. Wish it were 1080P, but at double the price and the fact most my material is 720P or 1080i this was an easy choice and I'm happy to stick with it even though the W1070 is a GREAT deal...... (A bright 2000 (for home theater) Lumens, but still not enough for my needs.)
post #8 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignorMiyagi View Post

thanks for your review. It would be great if someone made a comparison between this projector and the acer h5360bd, in terms of picture quality and RBE.
about 3D, it's strange that brightness is so low because the 2800 lumens should ensure a bright image, even in 3D. Maybe your glasses are the problem... aren't they too dark? And is your screen at least 1.0 gain?
what really scares me is the motion flow in 3D mode, and you said sometimes in fast scenes it's a bit jerky...
about 2D, how are the black level and contrast in general? a DLP with 13000:1 contrast should be very good in that sense.
I'm waiting for other opinions by users that bought this pj, so I can finally make my choice wink.gif
thanks again, bye.

I think it's plenty bright! A "light cannon" with moderate ambient lighting. I watched Cowboys and Indians (Don't laugh) last night.... Cast is very good. Anyways, a lot of huddling around the fire late at night. With the lights off, it looked absolutely AMAZING. The fire made the whole room shimmer bright and the contrast was OUTSTANDING. When the day came with mountains in the background, my open concept with cathedral ceiling went totally bright, almost like day in my home~!! The other guy was probably trying to watch 3D with all the lights on. In a semi-darkened room, I actually think it's to bright! Also, he's using $25 dollar cheapo's from EBay. As for the jerkiness.... glasses likely again.
post #9 of 76 Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really starting to consider returning my Vivitek and getting the BenQ. The number of button presses necessary for switching into and out of 3D modes is EXTREMELY annoying.

Does the BenQ automatically sense Frame Packed 3D (Blu-Ray 3D) and switch to 3D mode on its own?

post #10 of 76 Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM

I am concerned about the fan noise. HOW LOUD IS IT. I had the Acer h5360 that was rated at 27db in eco mode and 32 db normal mode. 32 db is too loud as it is about 2.5 feet from my head. So how is it ?cool.gif
post #11 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I'm really starting to consider returning my Vivitek and getting the BenQ. The number of button presses necessary for switching into and out of 3D modes is EXTREMELY annoying.

Does the BenQ automatically sense Frame Packed 3D (Blu-Ray 3D) and switch to 3D mode on its own?

Yes, it detects 3D if you have the 3D mode set to auto. I thought the D803W-3D was the Euro version of the D538W-3D. After looking at the specs closer, the Vivitek is really a nice unit! Don't know if you know it but it's got the TI .65 which uses DC3 (darkchip3) DMD. There's debate which is better but it's the same chip the W1070 uses. Knowing this, I likely would of got the Vivitek myself! I can't believe that unit doesn't auto detect 3d~!! Have you double checked all the setting to make sure you're not missing something? Have you tried any other glasses with your unit? I'm looking for options with mine, I still haven't found great ones for mine.
post #12 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post

I am concerned about the fan noise. HOW LOUD IS IT. I had the Acer h5360 that was rated at 27db in eco mode and 32 db normal mode. 32 db is too loud as it is about 2.5 feet from my head. So how is it ?cool.gif

This unit is rated at 30/32db (eco/normal). I use eco-mode cause there's not much of a difference in the picture and it adds better contrast. I don't notice it ever, but I use 7.1 audio and the projector is 4 feet directly above my head. When I shut it down, it goes into turbo and you can hear that for about a minute.
post #13 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm indeed torn between the added brightness and DC3 of the D803W-3D vs. the ease of use of the MW519. The D803W-3D is a bit on the loud side even in eco mode as well. I guess I'll stick it out with the D803W-3D since, in the long run, 3D won't be as big a part of my viewing habits... right now it still has some novelty and I'm testing it a lot, so the annoyance is amplified. Crazy thing is it doesn't even auto-sense Frame Packed... most discs throw up the "you need a 3D display to play this disc" if I try to play a 3D disc without first enabling Frame Packed mode.

post #14 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I'm indeed torn between the added brightness and DC3 of the D803W-3D vs. the ease of use of the MW519. The D803W-3D is a bit on the loud side even in eco mode as well. I guess I'll stick it out with the D803W-3D since, in the long run, 3D won't be as big a part of my viewing habits... right now it still has some novelty and I'm testing it a lot, so the annoyance is amplified. Crazy thing is it doesn't even auto-sense Frame Packed... most discs throw up the "you need a 3D display to play this disc" if I try to play a 3D disc without first enabling Frame Packed mode.

Ya, these things should have a variable speed fan that runs at a speed needed to keep the projector running within perimeters, NOT set speeds. Obviously, if you're watching with little ambient light, surely the brightness will be turned down and should therefore run cooler..... On the other hand, if you're watching a good movie, you likely have the volume way higher then the noise these make at any speed.
post #15 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I'm indeed torn between the added brightness and DC3 of the D803W-3D vs. the ease of use of the MW519. Crazy thing is it doesn't even auto-sense Frame Packed... most discs throw up the "you need a 3D display to play this disc" if I try to play a 3D disc without first enabling Frame Packed mode.

After a little investigating, the D803 has less of an optical zoom then the MW519 so that may effect placement if you move it to another location, etc. It won't even work in my current situation so it's a no go for me. Otherwise, it's a worthy competitor....... 3600 Lumens.... W@W~!! Can't do much more then that, huh? I think the 2800 lumens on the 519 is fine for most situations and likely better for movies.

As for the 3D, have you tried different HDMI cables? Initially, I was using a lower grade and I had problems detecting 3D on the 519 myself. After upgrading it, no more glitches. Also, you're right, once you're done experimenting with it, 90%+ of the time, you won't have to fiddle with any of the setting, much less the 3D, unless of course, you like the 2D to 3D conversion.
post #16 of 76 Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hi guys,
i am new here and new to the projectors and hope to learn alot here.
i am trying to choose between mw519 and the optoma gt750. can someone please post a video on youtube with mw519 in action? also, did any one has more problems with the brightness of its 3d like i read above. i realy like the mw519 but i want a watchable 3d. smile.gif thanks
post #17 of 76 Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusemarks View Post

Sadly, I'm going to have to send this unit back because I've had repeated instances where the remote stops responding after an hour or two of projector time. The ceiling mount does not let the family have an alternative way of shutting it down. So now I have to figure out whether I should save up the cash for the W1070. Knowing how dark 3D is, and that the 1070 is fewer lumens has me concerned that the 3D may be harder to watch; even if it is smoother due to the 144Hz refresh rate.

I also bought this projector, and I ran into this problem with the remote. After a few weeks of use, the projector stopped responding to the remote control especially after I selected "3D page flipping". The buttons on the projector still work, and I can reach them on my ceiling. I did a factory reset, and the problem seems to be solved, but if it comes back, that would confirm some kind of software bug.

Do you think I should send it back for replacement or wait for a firmware update?

If it's a software problem, it should affect all MW519 projectors. I would like to ask all MW519 owners to tell us about your experiences. Thanks
post #18 of 76 Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer30 View Post

After a little investigating, the D803 has less of an optical zoom then the MW519 so that may effect placement if you move it to another location, etc. It won't even work in my current situation so it's a no go for me. Otherwise, it's a worthy competitor....... 3600 Lumens.... W@W~!! Can't do much more then that, huh? I think the 2800 lumens on the 519 is fine for most situations and likely better for movies.

As for the 3D, have you tried different HDMI cables? Initially, I was using a lower grade and I had problems detecting 3D on the 519 myself. After upgrading it, no more glitches. Also, you're right, once you're done experimenting with it, 90%+ of the time, you won't have to fiddle with any of the setting, much less the 3D, unless of course, you like the 2D to 3D conversion.

The zoom on the D803W-3D works well enough for me... I think I'm using about 10-15% of the zoom. I can't go much closer, but could go plenty further back if necessary.

I did actually pickup a 50' RedMere active HDMI cable from Monoprice. This allowed for transmission of frame-packed 3D (my older 50' 24awg cable would not) but the full process of enabling 3D in the menus was still required. This is the same on the D538W-3D from what I've read in other reviews of that unit. In the end of the day I couldn't run the new HDMI cable in-wall/ceiling to replace the existing cable without punching holes in the ceiling, so I'm using the old cable and SBS output of 3D Blu-Ray from a Panasonic BDT220 player.

I've decided to stick with the D803W-3D and not return it, mainly because of the added brightness. Since we're converting the room to a more mixed-use family/play room, there will be much more viewing with ambient light than previously. 3D is already becoming a rare use-case as I've watched most of the movies I've downloaded and only have a few documentary shows recorded that I haven't watched yet. I have a feeling it'll get used 1-2 times a month as new movies are released, new documentaries pop up, or a sporting event I actually care about gets broadcast. Beyond that 99% of our viewing will still be 2D. The 2D-to-3D conversion worked better than I expected, especially on animation, but honestly didn't add much to live-action (I had high-hopes for Star Wars, but not much depth was added, especially on the black backgrounds of space).

I have found one fairly major glitch/bug in the D803W-3D... the left/right is reversed on SBS content by default 100% of the time. This can be fixed directly in the menu, but you have to enable Reverse every time. Alternatively it can be fixed on the glasses if they support it. It's easy to confirm using the volume OSD from my AVR, Blu-Ray default menu, or XBMC menu... by default the right half of the OSD bar appears in my left eye and vice-verse... as you can imagine, the impact and depth of 3D is greatly reduced when the left/right is reversed.

post #19 of 76 Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinzo View Post

hi guys,
i am new here and new to the projectors and hope to learn alot here.
i am trying to choose between mw519 and the optoma gt750. can someone please post a video on youtube with mw519 in action? also, did any one has more problems with the brightness of its 3d like i read above. i realy like the mw519 but i want a watchable 3d. smile.gif thanks

Sorry, I don't have a video camera. I doubt a video could show ya what you're looking for anyhow. The problem with the 518 is it's 4:3 and it's only XGA (1024X768). That means in order to get a wide screen, 16:9, the projector has to blow up the picture to fit the wide-screen format. That waters down the picture resolution and cuts the sharpness in half as compared to a 720P widescreen.

With a 100 inch screen from 10 feet away the 519 is VERY impressive at this price point. I've noticed very little RBE and when it happens, it's partially because the picture is set way to bright for the ambient lighting. With the correct setting, you won't have a problem unless you're highly reactive to it.

The brightness in 3D is plenty bright, not a concern.

I would suggest you buy the 519 from Amazon. They have an excellent return policy so worst case scenerio, you send it back. However, I doubt it will ever cross your mind after seeing it.

I wouldn't go with the 750GT. This ones cheaper and it's way better. If anything, wait till you can afford the BenQ W1070 . That's the best deal if you want a 3D 1080P.

Check out my review on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LIPAN4/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00

Any other questions, feel free!
post #20 of 76 Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer30 View Post

Sorry, I don't have a video camera. I doubt a video could show ya what you're looking for anyhow. The problem with the 518 is it's 4:3 and it's only XGA (1024X768). That means in order to get a wide screen, 16:9, the projector has to blow up the picture to fit the wide-screen format. That waters down the picture resolution and cuts the sharpness in half as compared to a 720P widescreen.

With a 100 inch screen from 10 feet away the 519 is VERY impressive at this price point. I've noticed very little RBE and when it happens, it's partially because the picture is set way to bright for the ambient lighting. With the correct setting, you won't have a problem unless you're highly reactive to it.

The brightness in 3D is plenty bright, not a concern.

I would suggest you buy the 519 from Amazon. They have an excellent return policy so worst case scenerio, you send it back. However, I doubt it will ever cross your mind after seeing it.

I wouldn't go with the 750GT. This ones cheaper and it's way better. If anything, wait till you can afford the BenQ W1070 . That's the best deal if you want a 3D 1080P.

Check out my review on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LIPAN4/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00

Any other questions, feel free!

Thanks mate,
Then i go with it, sins this is my first projector ever i don't know if i even can see the rbe at all.
Any way, i have one more question about the trow ratio of mw519.
the projector is above my head and 13' or 3.8 meters from the screen. can it fill a 120" screen from 13' away? Benq projector calculator says it can but when i do the math it is not possible.
Trow Ratio is 1.41-1.69 so 1.4 x 120"= 168" that's 14feet or 4.2 meters
what do you think? should i trust the benq projector calculator? confused.gif
post #21 of 76 Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM

meanwhile i found some screenshots for the mw519 from a german forum.
so if anyone is intrested:

gmovin likes this.
post #22 of 76 Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM

I am in the market for a projector. I have never owned a projector before and I came across this thread. Will be watching mostly sports and blu-rays. 3D isn't all that important to me. But I want the best picture for the money and the price point on these 2 projectors is perfect!

Both the BenQ MW519 and the Vivitek D803W-3D are available to me and I can't decide which one is better fit. I'm ready to pull the trigger here...help!!!

The projector is going in my basement/mancave. I would like to be able use it with the lights on which these both seem to be good at, but I would also like to watch movies in the dark. I would be slightly concerned that these would be too bright for this?
post #23 of 76 Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinzo View Post

meanwhile i found some screenshots for the mw519 from a german forum.
so if anyone is intrested:

Hi,
i´ve posted this Pictures.

Projected on this wall, no white screen

I sold the Benq again, my W700 was better:
-less noise (main reason to sell the MW519)
-better blacks
-much sharper
-better colors(the MW519 image had a green touch)

3D worked with my Sainsonic glasses only in 60Hz, so i couldn´t test 3D Bluray, but gaming and tv was great and bright enough.

The MW519 is not bad, but a W700/W703D is better.

Now i give the Acer 5360BD a try.
post #24 of 76 Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgx0123 View Post

Hi,
i´ve posted this Pictures.

Projected on this wall, no white screen

I sold the Benq again, my W700 was better:
-less noise (main reason to sell the MW519)
-better blacks
-much sharper
-better colors(the MW519 image had a green touch)

3D worked with my Sainsonic glasses only in 60Hz, so i couldn´t test 3D Bluray, but gaming and tv was great and bright enough.

The MW519 is not bad, but a W700/W703D is better.

Now i give the Acer 5360BD a try.

haha good that you post here. from what i understand from google translate your benq was also broken?
it was making this noise from its lamp?
it's funny. When i sent an e-mail to benq and asked which one is the better of the two, they chose w703d over the mw519 too. maybe i go with that one. noise is not a problem sins i am going to build a soundproof box around it. ventilated of course. did you see any difference in the brightness in the two? mw519 should be brighter right? 2000lm vs 2800lm. I realy want to give the mw519 a try.
and you say green. couldn't you play with the colors a bit? see or it gets better?
p.s. it my first projector so i can't wron from right. smile.gif
post #25 of 76 Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM

My first sample made problems, the w700 was much brighter, so i think the lamp was not ok. My second sample was technical perfect.

Brightness: My wife and me could not see any difference, both are really bright, in ambilight conditions we liked the w700 more(2200AL), the picture had a much better contrast

The green problem was in every color mode and source(HDMI->PS3,Dreambox, HTPC) present.

I saw and owned many projectors before(probably that´s the problem), the MW519 has the native 3D feature and a great price, if you need this feature and want to save money, try it out.
I am willing to spend 100-200€ more for a slightly better image and lower noise.
post #26 of 76 Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the replay,
my first choice was the w703d until i found out the mw519. on papers it was a better projector then the m703d, it's cheaper and it has a shorter trow. Better contrast etc. That made me to go for the mw519 but i see now that in practice the w703d is a better projector. did you have any problems with the 3d blu ray connectivity on the mw519? I don't have a ps3 so i don't care about that. and you mentioned the sainsonic 144hz 3d glass wont work proper with the mw519? did they work better on your w700 or w700 has no dlp link?
post #27 of 76 Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 AM

My SainSonic Glasses had 100/120Hz, the 144Hz were out of stock. So i could only test gaming and tv.

The new MW519 owner ordered the 144Hz version, this glasses are working perfekt, even with bluray. He is very happy with the Benq.
post #28 of 76 Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 AM

Then i give it a try. i have 7 days to return it so will see. i only have to order the glasses first so they arive first before the projector is here.
Thanks for your help.
post #29 of 76 Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergo Viczian View Post

I also bought this projector, and I ran into this problem with the remote. After a few weeks of use, the projector stopped responding to the remote control especially after I selected "3D page flipping". The buttons on the projector still work, and I can reach them on my ceiling. I did a factory reset, and the problem seems to be solved, but if it comes back, that would confirm some kind of software bug.

OP here. I never did get around to sending my unit back and based on your feedback I decided to do a bit more testing. For the past month my boys have been using the projector for daily XBOX 360 play (all 2D) and they never encountered any of the remote lockup issues. I was going to try and capture some video of the menu structure to help others posting in this thread, so I threw a SMURFS 3D blu-ray in the PS3 and let it play. The projector automatically switched into1080 3D frame packed mode and started the video. The opening flying scenes were indeed impressive. At that point I noticed that the video was using the full 1280x800 pixels causing the image to spill outside my desired screen range. I then went into the PS3 menus to see if I could fix the 3D movie output to 720 (you cant). So then I tried to use the MW519 remote to scan the projector menus but the remote did not work! After a month of perfect behavior, playing with 3D locked the projector.

So I restarted the projector, confirmed the remote worked, and launched the 3D movie again. This time, as soon as the projector auto switched to 3D frame packed, the remote quit working again. At other times it's not locked up because I know I was able to get in to set the brightness addressing some of my earlier darkness concerns.

So I suspect there's a need for a firmware change. Has anyone else had their remote stop working?

Georgo; were you sending in 1080 image size or 720 when you locked up? How did others perform the factory reset? I'm game to give that a try.
post #30 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusemarks View Post

I was going to try and capture some video of the menu structure to help others posting in this thread, so I threw a SMURFS 3D blu-ray in the PS3 and let it play.

are you still going to make that?smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page