Searching for the first projector , Front and Back projection, lens shift (not necessary), under €1500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

i've been reading the forum for a while, especially infos regarding optoma hd33, benq W1070 and Epson EH-TW5910 (similar to 3020 US specs.).
I would like to purchase new projector (under 2000 USD) to my new house. I will use it for viewing HD movies (during the nights/evenings) - 70 %, TV/sports - 20 %, games - 10%, there will be LCD/Plasma TV in the same (living) room anyway. The 3D is not necessary, but a good feature to have. I will mount the projector to the ceiling (HDMI, power and CAT6 Ethernet cable already prepared).

The draft of the projector placement and screen areas is in the attachment.

I have to exclude Benq W1070 because of the short throw ratio.
I have seen only DLP projectors, really old BENQ (unknown model) - 800x600 res. and BENQ MW516 - 720p. Both of them projecting in the house to the main screen area.
I have not noticed RBE, but maybe it was because i did not know it even exists. I don't have any experience with LCD projectors.

The main screen area (front projection) is the one behind the sofa and the projector - screen distance is approx. 5600 mm (18 ft 4 in)
The second one (back projection) will cover the big window in the dinning room and the projector - screen distance is approx. 4450 mm (14 ft 7 in)
The idea is to use second screen during summer evenings/nights for watching sport events with my friends, if it is even possible (the horizontal lens shift is necessary => higher price).
The room ceiling is 2.7m (2700 mm = 8 ft 10 in,), the main projection area is lowered from top by chandelier by approx. 400 mm (1 ft 3 in) and by sofa from bottom by approx 800 mm (2 ft 7 in).
This defines the main screen area height as 1500mm (59 in) and width is theoretically limited only by room width - max 4200 mm ( = max 165 in).

Thank you for your suggestions.

BR.

Marek. draft-1.NP_living_room_eng.jpg 252k .jpg file

P.S.: I've seen refurbished Optoma HD83 for approx €1500, but with only 90 days warranty (is it worth it?)
P.S.2: Sorry for my bad English.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft-1.NP_living_room_eng.jpg (252.4 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

more than 40 views and not even one suggestion?
Is the price range invalid or any idea i wrote down is impossible?

Thank you once more for any info regarding my previous post.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by celkom View Post

Hi Everyone,
i've been reading the forum for a while, especially infos regarding optoma hd33, benq W1070 and Epson EH-TW5910 (similar to 3020 US specs.).
I would like to purchase new projector (under 2000 USD) to my new house. I will use it for viewing HD movies (during the nights/evenings) - 70 %, TV/sports - 20 %, games - 10%, there will be LCD/Plasma TV in the same (living) room anyway. The 3D is not necessary, but a good feature to have. I will mount the projector to the ceiling (HDMI, power and CAT6 Ethernet cable already prepared).
The draft of the projector placement and screen areas is in the attachment.
I have to exclude Benq W1070 because of the short throw ratio.
I have seen only DLP projectors, really old BENQ (unknown model) - 800x600 res. and BENQ MW516 - 720p. Both of them projecting in the house to the main screen area.
I have not noticed RBE, but maybe it was because i did not know it even exists. I don't have any experience with LCD projectors.
The main screen area (front projection) is the one behind the sofa and the projector - screen distance is approx. 5600 mm (18 ft 4 in)
The second one (back projection) will cover the big window in the dinning room and the projector - screen distance is approx. 4450 mm (14 ft 7 in)
The idea is to use second screen during summer evenings/nights for watching sport events with my friends, if it is even possible (the horizontal lens shift is necessary => higher price).
The room ceiling is 2.7m (2700 mm = 8 ft 10 in,), the main projection area is lowered from top by chandelier by approx. 400 mm (1 ft 3 in) and by sofa from bottom by approx 800 mm (2 ft 7 in).
This defines the main screen area height as 1500mm (59 in) and width is theoretically limited only by room width - max 4200 mm ( = max 165 in).
Thank you for your suggestions.
BR.
Marek. draft-1.NP_living_room_eng.jpg 252k .jpg file
P.S.: I've seen refurbished Optoma HD83 for approx €1500, but with only 90 days warranty (is it worth it?)
P.S.2: Sorry for my bad English.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're wanting one projector to swivel toward screens on differnet walls? If so, looking at your diagram, I don't think the 5910 will work well for you as it does not have lens shift and it looks like you'd need it based on the position of the screen by the table/chairs. However, if you don't mind using keystone adjustment....

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

you are right (about screens and swiveling), the main screen (behind the sofa) has the priority one (so there is no need for the H lens shift).
The idea about second screen (that will imply a need of H lens shift) and back projection is to watch the sport events (DVB-T source mainly) during summer evenings from outside of the house (there is actually not wall, only big window, as you can see from the attachment) with my friends. I will use a removable cover (DIY screen) to cover the window for back-projection.
I am not sure if this idea is practically realizable with one projector (and swiveling), so please put some suggestions for this scenario (1).

If i will not find acceptable projector with H lens shift in the price range, I will have to cancel the second idea about back projection and use the main screen only (scenario 2).
I think Epson 5910 or hd33 could be acceptable for the scenario 2.

Could anyone who has seen HD83 and HD33 put some comparision info?
Technically, HD83 should be better projector, but I've seen some strange reviews with different conclusions (maybe because of the new FW for hd83?).

However, if there is any chance for scenario 1, I would like to get some suggestions/recommendations.

I have not seen horizontal keystone (only vertical one), but maybe it could be acceptable.
The video source will be DVB-T mainly (for scenario 1 and second screen), so SD quality right now.

BTW, the windows have controlled exterior window blinds.

Thank you for any suggestions regarding scenario 1 or 2.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by celkom View Post

Hi there,
you are right (about screens and swiveling), the main screen (behind the sofa) has the priority one (so there is no need for the H lens shift).
The idea about second screen (that will imply a need of H lens shift) and back projection is to watch the sport events (DVB-T source mainly) during summer evenings from outside of the house (there is actually not wall, only big window, as you can see from the attachment) with my friends. I will use a removable cover (DIY screen) to cover the window for back-projection.
I am not sure if this idea is practically realizable with one projector (and swiveling), so please put some suggestions for this scenario (1).
If i will not find acceptable projector with H lens shift in the price range, I will have to cancel the second idea about back projection and use the main screen only (scenario 2).
I think Epson 5910 or hd33 could be acceptable for the scenario 2.
Could anyone who has seen HD83 and HD33 put some comparision info?
Technically, HD83 should be better projector, but I've seen some strange reviews with different conclusions (maybe because of the new FW for hd83?).
However, if there is any chance for scenario 1, I would like to get some suggestions/recommendations.
I have not seen horizontal keystone (only vertical one), but maybe it could be acceptable.
The video source will be DVB-T mainly (for scenario 1 and second screen), so SD quality right now.
BTW, the windows have controlled exterior window blinds.
Thank you for any suggestions regarding scenario 1 or 2.

Looking at this comparison it seems that the HD83 might work since it has horizontal and vertical lens shift but I can't seem to find out if it's even for sale anywhere. I think you're idea is a great one; just need for find a PJ that's flexible enough for you - and I think it boils down to lens shift and brightness. That projector central site is a good one to compare PJs.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

@ngwest36: thanks for the comparison link and the validation of the idea.

@all: Could anybody recommend/deny HD83 for back-projection? Does anyone do a back-projection at all? What is the recommended brightness / screen material for the scenario?

Thanks.