Getting a replacement 3010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Epson 3010 has started flickering badly on any of the lower lamp modes. Also, the Auto IRIS is way loud. I had the Best Buy Tech out to my house this morning to do the once a year free calibration for being a Silver Rewards member and he said to reschedule the calibration and get a new projector.

Epson customer service was excellent and is sending the replacement!

Mine was originally purchased on Oct, 24th 2011 from Best Buy and then exchanged on Nov. 4, 2011 at Best Buy for one with a quieter iris. Eventually I got tired of the iris noise and have been running it with that turned off. But this flickering made me decide it was time to do something, especially since the tech agreed.

I have loved the projector! I'll be excited to get its replacement soon!

The theater is painted darker now and the back bar with seating is installed.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 12
Great room. Looks like it's right off a kitchen.

Let us know how the replacement 3010 stacks up.

And, Merry Christmas!

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

The replacement has problems. At least it does not flicker, but the iris is still noisy and now the whole bottom right corner of the screen is always out of focus. It will not focus in this area. I activated the convergence menu but can't even fix it from there. It's not a convergence issue. Must be a bad lens. I have requested another replacement. Very disappointed. I could probably live with it for video but for displaying PC text it is the worst.
I hoping the next one will be better.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

BAD. Epson 3010 Replacement # 2 came and the fan was hitting something inside! mad.gif

Sounded like cards in a bicycles spokes!! The unit arrived in an undamaged box, but the lens cap was off of it and in the back of the bag....

Sent it back on Wednesday and they are overnighting replacement #3
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

BAD Replacement #3 came today. This time the lens cap was cracked with pieces of plastic missing from it. But, the shipping box showed no damage of any kind.

The projector has a big Blue blob in the middle of the screen!mad.gifmad.gif I can't win.. My projector was originally purchased in Nov 2011. So it's over a year old and they seem very hesitant to offer any solution except to send another one. They said this time they will request that it gets checked out before shipping to me for and color blobs, focus issues, convergence issues, noisy auto iris, flickering buld and fan noise all in the ceiling mounted position.

We will see. Anyone have any ideas how I can get a good one if this " Checked out" has an issue? I'm loosing hope with Epson:confused: And now I'm out of packaging tape and need to go buy a new roll. Then another trip to FedEx.

Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Honestly Epson QC is pretty horrible, my cousin went through 3-4 3010's and finally got a refund that took them weeks to 'process'. He then tried several 5020's and all of those had various issues, he still has the best of the bunch but considered exchanging it as well.

Best of luck,
Jason
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wow Mike, that's terrible! I got my 3010 just a bit after you did (Dec.'11) and other than a noisy iris I've been very happy with it. Since I use it primarily for 3D and use my Viewsonic Pro8100 for 2D the iris noise isn't a problem. It doesn't come into play for 3D and I leave it off for 2D. I was afraid of getting one with more problems so I haven't bothered trying to exchange it. Sure hope your next one is ok. Seems to me that any one they send should be "checked out". Good luck!

Ed
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Weird. My experience with Epson support was fine. They sent me a replacement 3010 that was great in every way: no noticeable crosstalk, silent iris, accurate color, no blur, no convergence problem. Your experience has the making for a classic blues song. You sure your name isn't Robert Johnson?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP