Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1317 Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am using one I bought from Amazon that was cheap ($40) but it doesn't have any way to fine tune for adjustment so I wouldn't recommend it. The manual lens shift and zoom knobs on the Epson are not very easy to work with so I would suggest you get a good mount (better than the one I have) that will allow you to fine tune so you can get the image on the screen to stabilize once you have it adjusted on the Epson as best as you can. I am sort of looking for another one myself so perhaps other owners can share their recommendations on the best mount to buy.

There are quite a few out their with wireless, some are built-into the units like the Epson but there are makes and models where you can buy the wireless separately. Wireless hdmi is sort of a new thing but most of the newer models will have it or have it available as an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1317 Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by malomalo View Post

I received it from Epson service.

can you post the link to the firmware ?
post #543 of 1317 Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
2 days with my 5020UB and WOW what an upgrade from my IN72! Would like to ask what 3D setting you are all using and ask if anyone else thinks the 3D is less 'smooth' than 2D, I'm finding it hard on the eyes for sure when compared to my passive 3D TV? Don't get me wrong the 3D is very good and I don't think I am getting ghosting/cross talk (not sure if I really would know even if I was seeing that!) but I did notice that I had to go back and set the screen size to 60 as setting it to 110 (I have a 106" screen) made the 3D not work, the separation of the images were wrong and so it just looked like a blur. I am using an Oppo 103 as a player for this projector which also has some setting for 3D but I think that's only if its doing 2D to 3D conversion.

So any info on how you have that set up would be very helpful...

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #544 of 1317 Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone use the DVDO wireless kit with the 5020 (8100 un Europe)?
post #545 of 1317 Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 AM

Liked: 10
How can you see which firmware you have atm (tw9100)? What kind of problems did the new 1.03 fix with hdmi, e.g. handshake issues?
post #546 of 1317 Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am looking into getting a projector fairly soon. It will be set up in my living room. Primarily for Blu Ray and at night. I have a very small ambient light that is coming from my windows at night. And I mean very small.

I know I want a 2:35:1 screen. I just read a review about the projector and I came across this:

Lens Memory and Split Screen: Lens memory let's you use a 2.35:1 screen instead of the usual 16:9. That's great for folks who primarily watch movies. As I've learned, I like the wide screen, but hate that my sports are so much smaller, with my wide screen.

If you don't care about that, want to not have to see letter boxing on those widescreen movies, and therefore plan to get a 2.35:1 screen, then the Panasonic is your clear choice. The Epson with it's manual zoom lens simply can't have a way to use a widescreen short of an anamorphic lens and outboard processor (buy the Pro Cinema 6020 in that case, it supports anamorphic lenses so no outboard needed).

Thus for those wanting 2.35:1, the Panasonic is the practical and affordable choice.

Please let me know what your experience has been if you have a 2:35:1 screen

Thank you
post #547 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 AM

Liked: 35
I just got my 6020UB up and going over the past few days. The blacks are so good, that when I watch a movie on my 16x9 screen, the black bars are not as noticeable. My screen wall border is all black along with my ceiling, side walls and carpet edge.

I coudn't be happier with my new projector. Hopefully, I won't discover things I don't like.
The auto iris is very good. My last Acer projector had an auto iris and it sucked.

It seems the Epson has better specs than the Panasonic. If changing aspec ratio is really that important to you, why not go with an adjustable screen and a 5020/6020?

Just my .02 cents.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #548 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have an Oppo BDP-93 feeding this projector. The Oppo has a color space setting (Auto, RGB, couple of flavors of YCbCr).

Does anyone know what color space is the correct one to use with the Epson? I can't seem to find it documented anywhere.

Thanks,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #549 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
How can you see which firmware you have atm (tw9100)? What kind of problems did the new 1.03 fix with hdmi, e.g. handshake issues?

You can check the firmware as described in the link below:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=192677&foid=208169
post #550 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Next month I plan to purchase an Epson 5020UB home cinema projector. I need advice on the exact screen size to purchase. I've read all of the posts and I looked at the screen size calculators and even downloaded the manual for the projector and I know that I can use between an 80 inch and 110 inch screen. However given my room dimensions and projector set up I'd like recommendations from the group on the best set up for the Epson projector that maximizes picture quality, resolution, sharpness, brightness and all other quality features. Your help is greatly appreciated! Specifics below…

Ceiling height. 92 inches
Room. Basement capable of complete darkness at night and near complete darkness during day
Length. 12 feet wall-to-wall, 11 feet projector to screen est.
setup. I plan to mount the projector to the ceiling as far back as possible (11ft)

From what I've read I'm planning on going with an Elite Screens 92" Sable with 1.1 gain. Thoughts?? Would there be any loss of quality with going to 100 inch screen? What is my best choice for maximum picture quality?
post #551 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM

If its the same as the 103, you can use auto or fix it at 4.4.4.4 for HDMI, at least that's what I read and how I set mine up eek.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #552 of 1317 Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 PM

OK I just got Samsung SSG-5100GB $19.99 glasses and they work like a champ... got a couple of these for friend of the kids when they come around. Easy to set up just hold the power button to sync, switching between those and the Epson I would say the Samsung ones are a little brighter than the Epson but other than that the 3D effect looked the same. Remember these cheaper glasses are NOT usb recharge type, they take a 2025 battery.

post #553 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM

Sundiego,

I've visited projectorcentral.com and looked at their calculator. At 11 feet back, your maximum screen size is 113 inches.
I've always assumed that throw distance is screen to lens. If your room is 11 feet long, I'd say your throw distance will be about 10 feet (be sure to leave room for cables. You don't want them bending too much) A 10 foot throw distance gives you 103 inches maximum. Planning the absolute maximum makes it a little more difficult getting the picture to perfectly fill your screen. If you are just a little off, you'll have black bars.

Loss with bigger screens? Yes...but don't worry about that, 100 inches really isn't large for this projector. The pixels get larger as you go bigger. I currently have a screen around 155-160 inches and use the 6020. The picture is amazing. Bigger is definitely better. Go with the largest screen you can.

I have a Seymour XD DIY screen. It has a gain of 1.2 and I couldn't be happier with it. If you don't need an acoustically transparent screen, you can buy screen material online very cheaply. My last house had a DIY screen with material from Ebay. It was wonderful. I built the entire screen wall with material for less than $200. You really only need a gain of 1.0 in a light controlled room.

Barrettmr,

Thanks for the info. I will need to buy 6 more pairs of glasses for room capacity. I don't really want to spend $100 per pair from Epson. I like that the 5100GBs are not as dark. Definitely a plus.

--Anon.

post #554 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Sundiego,

I've visited projectorcentral.com and looked at their calculator. At 11 feet back, your maximum screen size is 113 inches.
I've always assumed that throw distance is screen to lens. If your room is 11 feet long, I'd say your throw distance will be about 10 feet (be sure to leave room for cables. You don't want them bending too much) A 10 foot throw distance gives you 103 inches maximum. Planning the absolute maximum makes it a little more difficult getting the picture to perfectly fill your screen. If you are just a little off, you'll have black bars.

Loss with bigger screens? Yes...but don't worry about that, 100 inches really isn't large for this projector. The pixels get larger as you go bigger. I currently have a screen around 155-160 inches and use the 6020. The picture is amazing. Bigger is definitely better. Go with the largest screen you can.

I have a Seymour XD DIY screen. It has a gain of 1.2 and I couldn't be happier with it. If you don't need an acoustically transparent screen, you can buy screen material online very cheaply. My last house had a DIY screen with material from Ebay. It was wonderful. I built the entire screen wall with material for less than $200. You really only need a gain of 1.0 in a light controlled room.

Thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I'm worried about, your comment "The pixels get larger as you go bigger." This given the fact that my seating position will only be about 10ft from the screen I'm worried that if I go too big the pixels will become noticeable and the picture quality will suffer. With your screen size of 155 inches I'm betting you're at least 15 feet from the screen making the larger pixel size not noticeable. Given how close I'll be to the screen (10ft), what would be the best screen size for maximum picture quality? All input is appreciated! Thanks.
post #555 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiego View Post

Thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I'm worried about, your comment "The pixels get larger as you go bigger." This given the fact that my seating position will only be about 10ft from the screen I'm worried that if I go too big the pixels will become noticeable and the picture quality will suffer. With your screen size of 155 inches I'm betting you're at least 15 feet from the screen making the larger pixel size not noticeable. Given how close I'll be to the screen (10ft), what would be the best screen size for maximum picture quality? All input is appreciated! Thanks.

For a 16 x 9 aspect ratio screen the rule of thumb is the recommended seating distance when using a 1080p projector is about 1.5 times the screen width (not diagonal). Using that rule for a 10 ft. viewing distance the recommended screen size would be 80 inches wide which would then have a diagonal of 92 inches. However, some people like to go with a little larger screen and in that case something on the order of a 100 inch diagonal screen would probably be a good choice. Also if the room is exactly 11 ft. deep then you would need to allow a minimum of perhaps 20 inches for the projector itself and some rear clearance tor ventilation. Remember that throw distance is measured from the front of the projector's lens to the screen. In that case the max. throw distance, when also taking in to account the projector's size and ,required space for ventilation as well as allowing a couple on inches for the screen's frame thichness) would be more like 9 ft. That would limit you to around a 90 inch (diagonal) screen size. So be sure to get the exact measurements in advance for throw distance so you can determine your max. screen size.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #556 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Ok, I am trying to update the firmware in my 5020ub projector. I got the firmware from Epson support. The firmware file name is TW8000series-wwv108_AS.DLT. I have two problems. The instructions they sent say to hold the power and enter buttons while turning on the power switch. The power light will be blue, and the temp orange. (the istuctions are for a 5010. I get a blue power light, and green lamp and temp light. When I try to download the firmware to the projector, the program says the projector models do not match. Emailed Epson and they say that I have the correct firmware. I sent another email about the lights and have not herd back yet. Not sure what to do at this point… Any ideas?
post #557 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
The 5020UB is on 1.03. That's the highest level of firmware. Support confirmed this for me. I posted their response a few posts ago. They also said this about the firmware version at the link with the firmware update instructions that's been floating around...
Quote:
This is a mistake. It looks like the FAQ for the 5010 was copied over to the 5020UB FAQs page. I have notified our online support team to have this corrected. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
post #558 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Apogee82, thanks for the reply. I have read that ver 103 was the latest. The file TW8000series-wwv108_AS.DLT was emailed to me by Epson support. I even emailed back and asked if it was correct. They said it was but now I am really wondering. My firmware is version 1.00, so I would like to update it as I have problems with a 60hz refresh rate. Maybe I should just call them…
post #559 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi Guys. I just got my 5020UB and did a quick setup and watched a couple clips just to get comfortable with the set-up, picture etc. I've since taken it down so I can finish paint and flooring in the new room. This is my first projector but man my couple short sessions with it(30 minutes at a time), these things get HOT. The bulb cover area on the front left seems to get super hot. I know these are hi powered bulbs but ouch lol wink.gif

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #560 of 1317 Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 12
do we know what exactly is improved with FW 1.03?
post #561 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Hello everyone, I finally got my 5020 installed on the ceiling with a 135" diag elite screen. The pj is 18' from the screen. There is one problem I am having and don't know how to resolve it. The problem is that top half of the image is tilted around 2-3 inches towards the right side. The bottom half is perfectly aligned with the screen horizontally. I am not using any keystone settings because it's not helping fix this problem. The pj and screen both are perfectly horizontal. The pj is around 3" under the top of the screen.

Has anyone seen/experienced this problem ? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Again, the problem is that only top half of the image is tilting towards right. The lens shifts and keystone are not helping.

Thanks much in advance.

-Amit
post #562 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the same problem and another user posted back that it is caused by having the pj and screen not parallel to each other. My pj is about 14-15 feet from a 106" screen so with yours being about 18 feet to a bigger screen I would imagine it could be a little worse than what I had.

I pulled my mount down and made sure it was parallel to the front wall (using a laser pointer) and then reinstalled the pj. I then adjusted the pj side to side until I got the picture aligned as best as I could. I wound up getting it close but I never did get it perfectly square on all four sides. There is a little bleed over but it doesn't bother me now. I think I made sure it was level with the bottom of the screen since that is the most noticeable and then I let the top bleed a little bit. I think one of the sides may bleed a little too. No more than 1/4-3/8 of an inch though in any direction.

Not sure how I could get it any better short of buying even fancier measuring tools.
post #563 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Hm...I will try my best to see if they are in parallel to each other...but I am not sure how I am going to do it smile.gif How a laser can tell if they are in parallel unless I get a laser that tells me the distance it's getting bounced off or something like that.

Thanks WillyJ !!
post #564 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try this:
Attach a string that doesn't stretch to the projector near or at the lens. Extend the string out to the top left corner of the screen and mark it or hold the string then move over to the top right corner of the screen.
If the screen is centered and square to the pj then the same point on the string will touch the corner of the screen.
You can do the same at the bottom corners of the screen.

td
post #565 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravaasi View Post

Hm...I will try my best to see if they are in parallel to each other...but I am not sure how I am going to do it smile.gif How a laser can tell if they are in parallel unless I get a laser that tells me the distance it's getting bounced off or something like that.

Thanks WillyJ !!

What I did, and this is up for debate as to whether it is the best method or not, is the following:

1. With the screen retracted up or out of the way, take a long piece of blue tape and attach it to the front wall at roughly the same height as the projector and mark the exact center of the wall on the tape using a black pen or marker.

2. Take a laser pointer or laser level and shoot from each side of the pj making sure the level is held flush to the pj side without rocking or moving. The sides of the pj are fairly flat so you should be able to get the laser flush. The laser pointer should hit exactly the same on each side of the center mark on your blue tape if you have it parallel. This will give you a fairly close reading.

3. Then, with the screen down or in place, I took a long piece of string and attached it to the side of the pj with some blue tape and took a measurement of the string's length from the front corner of the pj to the screen. To make sure the string is not angled or bowed, you will have to attach the string a few inches along the side and then move it so that it just touches the side of the pj at the front corner to avoid any deflection of the string. Make a note of this measurement and repeat for the other side. If the measurements are not the same, then the pj is not parallel. If not parallel, then your screen is not parallel to the front wall since you already checked (withh the laser) that the pj and the wall are parallel. 2 people make this go a lot faster because you are working with a very long string and even the smallest movement or deflection will affect the measurements.

I guess you could try to just use the laser with the screen in position or just use the string by itself, but this is the way I did it and I am sure others may have different suggestions or methods. This was my first pj installation so I am sure I have a lot to learn. I was able to get it fairly close as noted but there may be a way to get it even closer and I am always open to better suggestions.

Will
post #566 of 1317 Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM

I just ordered a pair of Valueview brand 3D glasses for my 6020. They look nice and are rechargeable. The ad on Ebay says they are compatible with Samsung TVs. I figure if they are and we can use Samsung glasses with our Epsons, then they should work.
The same seller is selling another pair that are for Panasonics. The Panasonic ad says they are RF and the Samsung ad says they are Bluetooth. The model number listed on the different ads are identical except for one number. Our owners manual says our glasses are RF.

I couldn't find much online about this brand. I did find a press release that they just launch a couple of weeks ago.

One pair of glasses
Pouch
USB Cable

Shipped for $25.

I'll give a quick review next week when I receive them. I hope they work with Epson projectors.

--Anon.

post #567 of 1317 Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

What I did, and this is up for debate as to whether it is the best method or not, is the following:

1. With the screen retracted up or out of the way, take a long piece of blue tape and attach it to the front wall at roughly the same height as the projector and mark the exact center of the wall on the tape using a black pen or marker.

2. Take a laser pointer or laser level and shoot from each side of the pj making sure the level is held flush to the pj side without rocking or moving. The sides of the pj are fairly flat so you should be able to get the laser flush. The laser pointer should hit exactly the same on each side of the center mark on your blue tape if you have it parallel. This will give you a fairly close reading.

3. Then, with the screen down or in place, I took a long piece of string and attached it to the side of the pj with some blue tape and took a measurement of the string's length from the front corner of the pj to the screen. To make sure the string is not angled or bowed, you will have to attach the string a few inches along the side and then move it so that it just touches the side of the pj at the front corner to avoid any deflection of the string. Make a note of this measurement and repeat for the other side. If the measurements are not the same, then the pj is not parallel. If not parallel, then your screen is not parallel to the front wall since you already checked (withh the laser) that the pj and the wall are parallel. 2 people make this go a lot faster because you are working with a very long string and even the smallest movement or deflection will affect the measurements.

I guess you could try to just use the laser with the screen in position or just use the string by itself, but this is the way I did it and I am sure others may have different suggestions or methods. This was my first pj installation so I am sure I have a lot to learn. I was able to get it fairly close as noted but there may be a way to get it even closer and I am always open to better suggestions.

Will

THANKS SO MUCH !! You were right on spot. The pj was not parallel to the screen and as soon as I fixed it the image is now perfectly aligned with the screen. I watched the Planet Earth last night in the dynamic mode and WOW! what a picture. THANKS much again to everyone for their suggestions !!
post #568 of 1317 Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad it worked for you.
post #569 of 1317 Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 AM

Now that my pj is all setup and everything, I am seeing that the Cable HD broadcasts are much more clearer on my screen than the blu-ray movies being played on my blu-ray player. The blu-ray movies have so much of noise as compared to almost no noise with HD signals from Verizon fios. I have Sony BDP570 blue-ray player and all the movies I am trying to play are brand new released in last couple of months. My setup is this :

Blu-ray player, Fios Cable box, XBox 360, Apple TV --> Sony receiver -> Powered HDMI Splitter --> projector
--> TV

Any suggestions ?
post #570 of 1317 Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would check your video processing in your bluray player - make sure you have it all off. Also, if you are going through an AVR or pre/pro for video, make sure processing is off on it also. I keep all my video processing out of the chain entirely.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page