Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Member
 
eyeful99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Maybe on 1080p stuff it looks good (not as good as a good plasma) but on regular hd stuff it is not even close to a plasma. Just try watching golf on it. Reminds me of the difference between sd and hd.

It's different display technology I was a doubter but no longer, with all digital signal path and high scan rate FP displays can offer superior PQ and compactness than direct view sets. Just image the box for a 120" tv and the weight!
eyeful99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Member
 
KTM250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeful99 View Post

It's different display technology I was a doubter but no longer, with all digital signal path and high scan rate FP displays can offer superior PQ and compactness than direct view sets. Just image the box for a 120" tv and the weight!

Compactness NO Same size as a flat panel. Weight Yes. PQ close on 1080p but not even close on 720P or 1080I. If you have ever seen a high end plasma that has been calibrated by a pro, then you know what I am talking about.
KTM250 is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Member
 
eyeful99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Compactness NO Same size as a flat panel. Weight Yes. PQ close on 1080p but not even close on 720P or 1080I. If you have ever seen a high end plasma that has been calibrated by a pro, then you know what I am talking about.

Which plasma? Old Kuros, New Sharp LCD Elites, Panny VT and ZT latest series, how about Sony 80" 4K direct view? Or let's go back to some benchmark products that defined their eras, Sony Profeel in the 80, remember them square bracket mounts, and XBR2 in the 90? Calibration data is all over the web now that helps owners fine tune them easily so yes, I have owned some, tuned and enjoyed them all. Oh I actually owned a 9" CRT Sony monitor that was used on the set of a movie filmed right here in Portland, Oregon, cool huh (yes I was part of support team)? As my username said, I am an eyeful99!

Seriously though, we are all here to help videophiles enjoy their hobbies with informative, hand on experiences that maybe, just maybe someone with an open mind (and wallet) to try something new, or revisit old technologies that was once NOT that impressive but now thanks to incredible high resolution sources, high speed digital processing and scaling, multiple inter-frame recreation, etc. that can provide a really, really beautiful moving picture at a size that all film directors intent them to be experienced, cinematic-wise.

Just a side note on your implied 720P material being inferior. There are so much time and skills required in ENCODING them properly sometime frame by frame, I saw their quality that can run from horrible to superb, almost indistinguishable from 1080P. By the same token, if you saw one so-so demonstration from a FPJ system, it simply means you have NOT seen a great one, they are out there. My 5020UB and SI 120" is pretty good and I like it a lot!
eyeful99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've centered and leveled my 6020 and I'm still getting one corner that is not square. I can always just crop it off, but I'd rather fix it.
The keystone just changes the sides. It's almost like I need a keystone for the top and bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this?

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I've centered and leveled my 6020 and I'm still getting one corner that is not square. I can always just crop it off, but I'd rather fix it.
The keystone just changes the sides. It's almost like I need a keystone for the top and bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just let mine bleed over a little bit and I don't notice it anymore unless I am looking for it. Better to have a little bleed over than a little of the white screen showing (less noticeable). Good to know you have this same issue with the factory mount because I have wondered if I could do better with a different mount. I have a cheap mount I bought from Amazon and it doesn't have any sort of fine tuning screws. When I tighten up the adjustment screws, it always shifts due to the force. Lot of trial and error but i got it almost right with the exception of a little bit of bleed over on the bottom left and right sides.
WillyJ is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It's definitely the projector and not the mount.

I can see that 3 of the 4 corners are nice and square. The last corner is not. Nothing seems to help fix it.

With having the picture bleed into the black border, the only time I really notice it is when squared graphics are on the screen. I'm starting to think it may be better being square at the bottom and bleed over at the top. I'll have to analyze pictures to see where graphics appear more.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

It's definitely the projector and not the mount.

I can see that 3 of the 4 corners are nice and square. The last corner is not. Nothing seems to help fix it.

With having the picture bleed into the black border, the only time I really notice it is when squared graphics are on the screen. I'm starting to think it may be better being square at the bottom and bleed over at the top. I'll have to analyze pictures to see where graphics appear more.

You understand 'keystone" is digitally affecting the image, correct? Best to not use it if at all possible. Are you certain the pj is completely level front to back, and side to side? I have mine set to bleed over onto the velvet border on all edges, about 1" or so. Just makes the image a little nicer imho.
jnabq is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I've centered and leveled my 6020 and I'm still getting one corner that is not square. I can always just crop it off, but I'd rather fix it.
The keystone just changes the sides. It's almost like I need a keystone for the top and bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this?

As someone else pointed out, you should never use the (electronic) keystone adjustment as this introduces digital scaling along with artifacts. The projector must be perfectly level front to back and left to right and the front of the projector must be parallel with the screen. Also often overlooked is the screen itself must have the sides truly vertical and the top and bottom truly horizontal and not be bowed either vertically or horizontally. Once you make certain all of these mechanical setup adjustments are correct for the projector and screen then using the projector's lens shift adjustments to center the image and the zoom and focus to size and focus the image should be all that is needed to get a nearly ideal image geometry on the screen. Also note that all too often a screen will not be a perfect rectangle or will not have a perfect 1.78:1 aspect ratio and in these cases the projected image will need to extend a little further onto the screen's boarder in some places than others.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Let me try again.
I know I don't have the projector level from front to back. This is my first projector with lens shift. My last projector had to be angled down to match the screen.

The screen is perfectly squared and level. I took time to insure this.
The projector is exactly in the middle of the screen.
The projector is perfectly level from side to side too.

On my 160 inch screen, one bottom corner is probably 3 or 4 inches higher than the other corner, giving a slope of picture from one corner to the next.
The top of the picture is perfectly matched up with the screen.


I'll level the projector front to back tonight and use lens shift to adjust to the screen.
I question if this will work, but fingers crossed!

I'll update later.
Thanks everyone.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I have also recently bought a 6020 and so far I have been blown away with the quality. I am also finding it hard to get a little the picture to line up correctly. My problem though is that the shelf I bought, omni mount Tiaga 1, is not very rigid making the shelf slope downward as well as slope to the left. I have tried compensating by adjusting the feet and putting spacers under the feet to raise it up and get the lens level. I accomplished this but still have a problem with squaring the projector up to the screen. Either the right or the left is a little bigger and just cant seem to get it perfect. Other than that the picture is awesome.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
KevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

Hi all. I have also recently bought a 6020 and so far I have been blown away with the quality. I am also finding it hard to get a little the picture to line up correctly. My problem though is that the shelf I bought, omni mount Tiaga 1, is not very rigid making the shelf slope downward as well as slope to the left. I have tried compensating by adjusting the feet and putting spacers under the feet to raise it up and get the lens level. I accomplished this but still have a problem with squaring the projector up to the screen. Either the right or the left is a little bigger and just cant seem to get it perfect. Other than that the picture is awesome.

I had the same shelf mount with a 5020 and same problem. I ended up replacing with a Chief short throw arm and Chief adjustable mount and it's easy as pie now.


-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

KevinH is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I had the same shelf mount with a 5020 and same problem. I ended up replacing with a Chief short throw arm and Chief adjustable mount and it's easy as pie now.


Is the bracket just screwed into the wall? I have a fan that I am trying to get around and that was mainly the only reason I did not use the ceiling mount oh and its hot as hell in the attic. Do you have the numbers for the mount and extender?

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
KevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

Is the bracket just screwed into the wall? I have a fan that I am trying to get around and that was mainly the only reason I did not use the ceiling mount oh and its hot as hell in the attic. Do you have the numbers for the mount and extender?


Yes, this particular Chief arm screws into a single stud. The arm is the WM120 and the Chief mount on the end of the arm is an RPMAU I believe.

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/WM120S
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/RPMAU

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

KevinH is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Can I use the mount that attaches to the projector that came with the 6020? I wonder if that will attach to the end of the wm120? How far do you have the projector extended out? Thanks for you help.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
KevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

Thanks. Can I use the mount that attaches to the projector that came with the 6020? I wonder if that will attach to the end of the wm120? How far do you have the projector extended out? Thanks for you help.


I don't know if the 6020 mount will attach, but it should have come with different sized screw so I imagine it will. I have the arm all the way in on mine right now and my throw is about 14'9" to a 110" 16:9 screen.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

KevinH is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I don't know if the 6020 mount will attach, but it should have come with different sized screw so I imagine it will. I have the arm all the way in on mine right now and my throw is about 14'9" to a 110" 16:9 screen.

Thanks. It should work. It is a Chief RPA Elite I believe. At least that is what it looks like. Just ordered one and should be here in about a week. Noticed your in Austin did you get your projector from A&B TV?

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
KevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

Thanks. It should work. It is a Chief RPA Elite I believe. At least that is what it looks like. Just ordered one and should be here in about a week. Noticed your in Austin did you get your projector from A&B TV?

The projector was a gift. I did get my SI screen from them and several TVs. I know Harlan real well at A&B. wink.gif

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

KevinH is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

The projector was a gift. I did get my SI screen from them and several TVs. I know Harlan real well at A&B. wink.gif

I just got off the phone with him. I always liked A&B TV, always had good prices.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
KevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

I just got off the phone with him. I always liked A&B TV, always had good prices.

Great guy and great prices. He can get you out the door at same price as best tax free deal you can find online usually.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

KevinH is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Member
 
talos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Great guy and great prices. He can get you out the door at same price as best tax free deal you can find online usually.[/quote

I agree and it is a lot closer to me than Bjorn's.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
talos13 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Let me try again.
I know I don't have the projector level from front to back. This is my first projector with lens shift. My last projector had to be angled down to match the screen.

The screen is perfectly squared and level. I took time to insure this.
The projector is exactly in the middle of the screen.
The projector is perfectly level from side to side too.

On my 160 inch screen, one bottom corner is probably 3 or 4 inches higher than the other corner, giving a slope of picture from one corner to the next.
The top of the picture is perfectly matched up with the screen.


I'll level the projector front to back tonight and use lens shift to adjust to the screen.
I question if this will work, but fingers crossed!

I'll update later.
Thanks everyone.

I don't mean to question your measurements, but perhaps there's a misalignment inside so that you actually need a slight twist or angle to the case in order to have a perfectly aligned image.

what you're describing could be caused by an image that is angled horizontally, and twisted.

for example if the bottom right corner is the one too high, then the left side of the image is taller than the right side of the image. that happens when the projector is aimed to the left of centre. try aiming your projector more towards the 'shorter' side until the height of the picture is the same horizontally.

then twist the projector(raise/lower the sides) until the image is straight.

the projector should be levelled in all 3 axis to get a square image on screen.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Let me try again.
I know I don't have the projector level from front to back. This is my first projector with lens shift. My last projector had to be angled down to match the screen.

The screen is perfectly squared and level. I took time to insure this.
The projector is exactly in the middle of the screen.
The projector is perfectly level from side to side too.

On my 160 inch screen, one bottom corner is probably 3 or 4 inches higher than the other corner, giving a slope of picture from one corner to the next.
The top of the picture is perfectly matched up with the screen.


I'll level the projector front to back tonight and use lens shift to adjust to the screen.
I question if this will work, but fingers crossed!

I'll update later.
Thanks everyone.

It sounds to me that although you may have the projector centered with the screen (which I will assume to be correct for the following suggestions) it may not be pointed at the center of the screen (i.e, the front of the projector exactly parallel to the screen or in other terms when the horiz. lens shift is optically centered, or zero shift, the image is centered horizontal on the screen). This can take a little trial and error to get exact. One way to do it is to first set the horiz. lens shift adjustment to it's approx. center position then get the projector leveled (using the projector mount's pitch and roll adjustments) and then using the projector's zoom, focus and vertical lens shift set the projected image to best fit the screen. Next with the horiz. lens shift still in its center position rotate the projector on its mount (mount's yaw adjustment) to center the image then check the projected image geometry. Finally use the combination of the lens shift adjustment and projector's rotation (i.e., yaw adjustment on the projector mount) to fine tune the image geometry (i.e., adjust yaw just a little then use lens shift to center image then check resulting geometry - if still not correct then adjust a little more or in the opposite direction).

Just some suggestions from one engineer (MSEE) to another, let alone one Jones to another.


.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
lucadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: France
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucadoc View Post

Steve McArthur from DO kindly sent me a link to amazon.uk to by the valueview panasonic version.

I'm waiting for the delivery ;-) the next week

I confirm the panasonic version works perfectly with the Epson!
lucadoc is offline  
Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Still playing around to get my new setup with this projector complete and have one issue, when watching a Blu-ray from the Oppo 105 or my media center, the projector seems to have a 7 to 9 second delay in getting the video up when switching from 60hz to 24hz. This often means the intros like DTS or THX are playing with a blank screen until they are nearly finished or the movie starts (sound) but no picture for those first 7/9 or so seconds which is really doing my head in! On the media center I was able to configure a delay when switching but can't see any options for that on the Oppo and don't understand why this projector is taking so long to switch. Playing BD disks is worse as the menus seem to be 60hz and the movie/trailers 24hz!

Is this normal for this projector?

Thanks!
Barrettmr is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post

Still playing around to get my new setup with this projector complete and have one issue, when watching a Blu-ray from the Oppo 105 or my media center, the projector seems to have a 7 to 9 second delay in getting the video up when switching from 60hz to 24hz. This often means the intros like DTS or THX are playing with a blank screen until they are nearly finished or the movie starts (sound) but no picture for those first 7/9 or so seconds which is really doing my head in! On the media center I was able to configure a delay when switching but can't see any options for that on the Oppo and don't understand why this projector is taking so long to switch. Playing BD disks is worse as the menus seem to be 60hz and the movie/trailers 24hz!

Is this normal for this projector?

Thanks!

This seems to be the situation with many projectors. Both my JVC and Epson (older model) blank the screen for several seconds any time the input signal is changed to a different resolution and/or refresh rate.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

This seems to be the situation with many projectors. Both my JVC and Epson (older model) blank the screen for several seconds any time the input signal is changed to a different resolution and/or refresh rate.

forget projectors, it's a problem with HDMI. i've had more problems with HDMI and it's stupid 'handshake' feature than any other connection. some things work better together than others, but I honestly don't think there's anyway to predict it. for example, my Samsung plasma seems to 'drop' the connection randomly, but is very quick to reconnect, and always works, eventually. my jvc projector is rock solid, but sometimes when I switch inputs or even just flip between full screen video and the desktop on my HTPC it'll lose connection completely and i'll have to switch back and forth between inputs until it reconnects. i've had slightly different issues with previous Samsung plasma and an Epson projector. the only thing that seems consistent is that there WILL be some random connection issue. usually it's easily solvable, or a minor delay.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Over the weekend, I got my picture to be squared on the screen. I had the projector level from side to side, but I had the projector pointed towards the center of the screen. Once I leveled the projector to the ceiling, front to back and side to side, the picture was perfect.
All I had to do was use the horizontal lens shift, the vertical lens shift and the zoom.

My next step is to finish my speaker cloth trim and velvet border, now that I have the picture perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Glad you got it, "squared" away.
JeffreyJonesBSME likes this.
jnabq is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Member
 
KTM250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing flickering in the picture during dark scenes? I have already sent one of these projectors back because of a bad flicker and I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with these. I am seeing this on both hdmi inputs from two different sources. I do remember the Cnet review were they looked for this type of problem with the auto iris turned on and stated that they saw none. All I know is that it is very distracting.
KTM250 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

..... now that I have the picture perfect.

From one ME to another, there is no such thing as "Perfect". Like a state-of-mind, it is transient at best.wink.gif

Glad you got it worked out.
JeffreyJonesBSME likes this.
WillyJ is offline  
 

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off