Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1295 Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Six movies at 2 hours each would only be twelve hours ... and the counter doesn't start until 10 hours have passed. So it must not have been brand new.

And I purchased it from Crutchfield who is suppose to have an excellent reputation....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1295 Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 AM

So I contacted Crutchfield and told them there are 40 hrs. of life on the 5020. And that I only probably watched 6 films. No TV. So they are replacing the projector. I did not ask them to. They wanted to. When I receive the replacement they said ship the other one back to them. They are paying for shipping. It pays to order something like this from an excellent retailer like Crutchfield....
post #813 of 1295 Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Hey Guys,

Just about to pull the the trigger on an Epson 5020. Have any of you seen good results with a throw distance of 20'-22'? This is kind of on the extreme end of the manufacturer recommendations and didn't know if this would cause me dissatisfaction.

Thank you,

Jonathan

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)
post #814 of 1295 Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
It's all subjective in the end. I throw it 23 feet onto a 1.1 gain painted screen and find it great, plenty bright. But I'm a "film look" guy, not a "plasma look" guy and only use it to watch watch movies, not tv, sports, or play games.
"Good results" are always a judgement call. I find it more than bright enough for movies and use the lower powered THX or Cinema settings, and bright enough for 3D at the hi-power.

S A M 33
post #815 of 1295 Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklick View Post

Hey Guys,

Just about to pull the the trigger on an Epson 5020. Have any of you seen good results with a throw distance of 20'-22'? This is kind of on the extreme end of the manufacturer recommendations and didn't know if this would cause me dissatisfaction.

Thank you,

Jonathan

It's got a lot to do with your Screen size "and" screen gain.

• a 110"er w/ 1.3 gain @ 20'-8" would deliver 18 fls
  • a 120"er w/ 1.3 gain @ 20'-8" would deliver 16 fls
  • respectively....14 fl & 12 fl at 1.0 gain

Strangely enough, at 1.1 gain and 20'-8" there is only a 1 fl difference between 110" & 120" (15 fl vs 14 fl ) so you have to aspire to at least 1.3 gain to really make any significant impact.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #816 of 1295 Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

It's got a lot to do with your Screen size "and" screen gain.

• a 110"er w/ 1.3 gain @ 20'-8" would deliver 18 fls
  • a 120"er w/ 1.3 gain @ 20'-8" would deliver 16 fls
  • respectively....14 fl & 12 fl at 1.0 gain

Strangely enough, at 1.1 gain and 20'-8" there is only a 1 fl difference between 110" & 120" (15 fl vs 14 fl ) so you have to aspire to at least 1.3 gain to really make any significant impact.

I'm going to be using a 110" Firehawk G3 (gain 1.25).

I had no idea what "fls" was, so I did some research. I read that an ideal amount of FL for a non-dedicated room is around 30 - 50. Based on your calculations, I became a little worried. However, I used two different calculators (Stewart and Draper) and both indicate I should expect around 80 FL with my projector/screen combo. Does that sound correct?

Thank you again.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
post #817 of 1295 Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33 View Post

It's all subjective in the end. I throw it 23 feet onto a 1.1 gain painted screen and find it great, plenty bright. But I'm a "film look" guy, not a "plasma look" guy and only use it to watch watch movies, not tv, sports, or play games.
"Good results" are always a judgement call. I find it more than bright enough for movies and use the lower powered THX or Cinema settings, and bright enough for 3D at the hi-power.

S A M 33

Thank you. This helps give me confidence. The primary usage will be movies and TV shows. Sports won't be watched on it. Video games is a possibility, but not a priority. I'll be keeping my plasma setup in another room, so I always can fall back to that for things like video games. In the end, I'm simply trying to create a great movie experience. However, my wife doesn't want to compromise quality *too* much and will be the final judge. She does realize that a projector is more about the experience than epic, plasma-esque quality.

post #818 of 1295 Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
Was watching a DVD yesterday and I noticed that on one side of the screen there was a line in the video. It looked like something you would see on a vcr. The weird thing is that it is not present on all DVD's. Could this be an encoding problem or maybe a video conversion problem? Just kind of odd. This never happens on my blu rays.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
post #819 of 1295 Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM
DTI

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone notice when you adjust your focus to a image when you pull up the lcd alignment the lines are hazed or fuzzy I thought the picture looked pretty good
but not happy always messing with the focus so I did the focus with the lcd panel alignment on got the lines or pixels nice and sharp ,clear
the picture looks so much better if you have fuzzy lines in the lcd panel alignment try it
apogee82 likes this.
post #820 of 1295 Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post

I did the focus with the lcd panel alignment on got the lines or pixels nice and sharp

Good tip. Thanks for sharing.
post #821 of 1295 Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was looking to possibly get one of these when my basement is finished. However my wife is skeptical on the projector due to the fact that you need to keep the room dark. How does this projector handle some light in the room. It won't be sunlight and I can dim or turn off the can lights that will be in front of the screen but I'd like a low lit lamp or further back cans to be on dim at least when watching the game with the guy's type of thing. Any input on how this can handle that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
post #822 of 1295 Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM

For focus I downloaded HiRes photos from the internet - at at least 1920x1080 resolution (or downsized larger ones to 1920x1080). I chose photos with lots of detail in them to aid in focusing - I put them on an SD card that can be inserted into my Marantz Blu-Ray player and called up and projected. Or you could put them on a USB drive or (but not as easy or quick to access) burn them to disk. Call them up and focus away.
post #823 of 1295 Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

I was looking to possibly get one of these when my basement is finished. However my wife is skeptical on the projector due to the fact that you need to keep the room dark. How does this projector handle some light in the room. It won't be sunlight and I can dim or turn off the can lights that will be in front of the screen but I'd like a low lit lamp or further back cans to be on dim at least when watching the game with the guy's type of thing. Any input on how this can handle that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I run mine during the day in a SUN LITE ROOM - No Darkling at all.

Check Out my ICON
post #824 of 1295 Old 08-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I don't have the best light controlled room and the only thing I have changed was to add curtains and I can watch a movie during the day on normal and it looks just as good as the picture does at night on Eco.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
post #825 of 1295 Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Projectors don't "handle" ambient light. .. your screen is the main factor here. A higher gain screen will reflect more light giving you a brighter picture. Keep in mind that blacks are produce by the absence of anything on your screen. With your lights on and looking at your screen, this is the blackest you will get. With the lights off in a totally dark room, this will be your blackest.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #826 of 1295 Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Projectors don't "handle" ambient light. .. your screen is the main factor here. A higher gain screen will reflect more light giving you a brighter picture..

3 Thumbs Up smile.gif
post #827 of 1295 Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Just picked this up last week:

I copied the calibration settings used in the projector central review write up.

3D on this is amazing! I compared this to my Panasonic TC-P65ST60 's 3D (which is amazing). Both are using an OPPO player. The Panasonic 3D glasses work with the Epson projector ! the Epson glasses allow a bit more light to pass through than the Panasonic (but not that much - but in a side by side comparison the additional light may give a bit more detail).

Out of the box the player is way better than my previous projector the Panasonic PT-AE3000U - the blacks are darker, the colors are vivid (due to the increased light output) the image jumps off of my Vutec Silverstar screen.

Notes:
I calibrated the projector in THX mode using Normal power settings and everything looked great
When I switched over to Econ mode the picture has more of a 'green hue'

The fan in eco mode is dead quiet, but the fan in normal mode is a bit distracting when watching a movie / tv show with a lot of quiet scenes.

Does anyone have settings that they used in econ mode to adjust for this greenish push?
post #828 of 1295 Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

Was watching a DVD yesterday and I noticed that on one side of the screen there was a line in the video. It looked like something you would see on a vcr. The weird thing is that it is not present on all DVD's. Could this be an encoding problem or maybe a video conversion problem? Just kind of odd. This never happens on my blu rays.

I assume this is on the very far edge of the screen - if so:

If this happens turn on the 'overscan' feature in the setup menu - this will zoom in on the picture a little bit- it trims a bit of the edges off all 4 sides. This will sometimes happen with broadcast tv shows, etc. that is what the overscan feature is for.

Enjoy your new projector smile.gif
post #829 of 1295 Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa-esq. View Post

I assume this is on the very far edge of the screen - if so:

If this happens turn on the 'overscan' feature in the setup menu - this will zoom in on the picture a little bit- it trims a bit of the edges off all 4 sides. This will sometimes happen with broadcast tv shows, etc. that is what the overscan feature is for.

Enjoy your new projector smile.gif

Thanks! Never even thought about that. Yeah its on the far right edge, to think of it I have noticed it on a couple of broadcast.

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
post #830 of 1295 Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I called Best Buy and they offered the 5020 for 10% off. I could get it for $2527 including tax (8%). Would any of you pull the trigger at that price or wait for the new model to come out? I can't decide! I just feel like I should wait a couple months to see what Epson or Sony might offer in Oct or Nov but I want to pull the trigger now! Thanks in advance.
post #831 of 1295 Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I View Post

I called Best Buy and they offered the 5020 for 10% off. I could get it for $2527 including tax (8%). Would any of you pull the trigger at that price or wait for the new model to come out? I can't decide! I just feel like I should wait a couple months to see what Epson or Sony might offer in Oct or Nov but I want to pull the trigger now! Thanks in advance.

That is very good price, I would buy it, if I were you. I just got mine ( 4 days ago) from AMAZON for more than that. You will also get 30days rtn from BB.

For my Projector, I am not able to check it for other issues are mentioned here but I see one dead pixel in MIDDLE of the screen. I may have convergence issues too but not sure.

I am novice and this is my 1st projector. Reading this forum, I know this projector can have certain issues.
What are things I need to check and make sure that it WORKS in 30 days time frame?

For Dead Pixel, My options are:

1) Amazon suggest to call EPSON see what they offer as options
2) Amazon offered to replace current one with new PROJECTOR

the box I received, was sealed properly but I saw Foam padding and Brown box ( which has all accessories) was not properly placed like factory, which make me wonder that someone return this one back to amazon.

Any feedback is helpful.
post #832 of 1295 Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM
DTI

If something doesn't look right or if you have that feeling like someone else has had it I would send it back for that kind of money it better be a Virgin smile.gif
post #833 of 1295 Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it depends on your situation. Personally, I have a PJ (the Mitsubishi 1000HDU) and am holding off until there's a larger price drop due to new models coming out. Epson announced the 5020 and other PJs last year at CEDIA in early September. I can hold off for a few months, hoping for Oct/Nov price cuts, but if I didn't have a PJ, I may be tempted on that BBuy deal.
post #834 of 1295 Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks. Whatever I decide on will be paired with my Dalite Highpower (2.8) screen. What's amazing is that my screen has been rolled up for 3 years and still looks new today as I just pulled it down for the first time in years! As of today I'm leaning toward waiting until the new projectors are announced at Cedia.
post #835 of 1295 Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Thanks. Whatever I decide on will be paired with my Dalite Highpower (2.8) screen. What's amazing is that my screen has been rolled up for 3 years and still looks new today as I just pulled it down for the first time in years! As of today I'm leaning toward waiting until the new projectors are announced at Cedia.

Word on Epson is already out for new models (versions for outside North America, but you can the equivalent projectors in the USA). Basically just a modest update to the current projectors. Expect the 5030 to add CFI to now work for 3D mode and not just 2D, will add a mode with less input lag for gaming, and perhaps a couple of other minor updates.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #836 of 1295 Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 AM

Liked: 16
So this projector puts out about 700 lumens in calibrated mode, what's the maximum screen size you can get while still putting out 14 ftl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Word on Epson is already out for new models (versions for outside North America, but you can the equivalent projectors in the USA). Basically just a modest update to the current projectors. Expect the 5030 to add CFI to now work for 3D mode and not just 2D, will add a mode with less input lag for gaming, and perhaps a couple of other minor updates.

Every year they have a higher calibrated lumen output doesn't that seem important? Along with probably better contrast.
post #837 of 1295 Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

So this projector puts out about 700 lumens in calibrated mode, what's the maximum screen size you can get while still putting out 14 ftl?
Every year they have a higher calibrated lumen output doesn't that seem important? Along with probably better contrast.

We won't know about the calibrated lumens out for the new models until we get our hands on one and if the increased on/off contrast ratio in specs. is the result of a dynamic iris that simply closes down another f-stop then that's really doesn't mean much. The native contrast ratio of the LCD display panels used in the best Epson UB series of projectors really haven't change much (about 6,000:1) in the past 5 years and unless that has been improved then larger numbers for the 'dynamic' CR values in spec. sheets really do not mean much. I'm not saying that a DI doesn't have value, rather once you reach a certain point there isn't much real world value for having a DI that can close down even more. Having improved native CR on the other hand can be of more real benefit.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #838 of 1295 Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 89
Getting VERY close to pulling the trigger on the 5020 as I am getting closer to wrapping up the renovations in my basement media room now (link below). The other PJ I am considering is the Panny 8000 but leaning more towards the 5020 every day. This is an absolute long shot but has anyone on this thread ever done a side-by-side comparison of these two PJs? Or owned both at one time?

If I do decide to go with the 5020, I am getting the feeling that I should at least wait it out thru Sept. to see what kind of price drop I can take advantage of since the 5030 is scheduled for Fall release.

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #839 of 1295 Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 35
There are a couple of comparisons online, if you didn't find them.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_5020_vs_panasonic_ae8000.htm

http://www.projectorreviews.com/projectors/pt-ae8000_vs_hc5020/

I have the 6020 and couldn't be happier.

Good luck.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #840 of 1295 Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 13
Hi guys,

I currently have the 5010 and I like it a lot.
I have someone who wants to buy it and I can add a little and buy a new 5020UB. Will there be a big difference compared to my 5010?
Also, out of curiosity (I can't afford it) will the 6020 display a much higher quality picture?

Thank you!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page