AVS Forum banner
177K views 2K replies 310 participants last post by  netviewdm 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, we may as well get this started....

Just got my 5020UB in, here is the list of related equipment:

Pre/Pro... Pioneer Elite VSX-53 Using with ATI amplifiers

BD... Standard for now is OPPO 83

3D BD... for now using Sony BDPS790.... will upgrade to Oppo in a couple of weeks

Using CableClub 1.4 HDMI at 35'

120" Eastporters Elunevision Elara II Silver Perlux screen.

A little background.... this 5020UB is replacing a Mitsubishi HC6800

First Impressions...

Wow!... this projector is bright and has excellent "out of the box" picture especially in THX mode. I've only had it for 1 full day and did a quick calibration based on the info found at projectorreviews.com, making those small adjustments did make a difference, however there is alot more tweaking available in this projector.

2D picture is spectacular, the blacks and overall colors are a "night and day" difference from my old projector.

3D is what a bit of a mixed bag.... until you figure out the quirks.... in the main menu you can change the "screen size" to SUPPOSEDLY match yours; However, when I changed it to 120 I kept seeing "ghosting"(a slight double vision effect, especially on fast pans etc). I finally fixed that problem by simply defaulting the "screen size" back to 60???? ghosting is gone and image is wonderful!.... but I ask why the avaiable adjustment? did I miss something.... well I guess once this thead gets going we are sure to find out.

I must warn you... I've only had this for 1 full day and will play with the depth adjustment etc. also I read that Frame interpolation was available in 3D.... when I try to access it from the remote, I get a message that the feature is not available in 3D???

also, the 1.4 perlux seems to be a bit too gainy for this powerful light cannon... I would not recommend such high gain... I see more sparklies because it is that much brighter... I'll be attaching pictures also... in the mean time let's get this "OWNERS THREAD GOING"....again "OWNERS PLEASE....NOT OPINIONATED WISHLISTERS!!" A.K.A. HATERS!

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread/0_60#post_22840240

Wish I could help, if you feel like coming by CA anytime soon
hit me up. Finally got my 5020 hooked up, and even without the screen set up yet; projecting onto my dark blue walls, the picture still looks great out of the box. Cant wait to get the screen set up. Will try to post picture this weekend

No sweat, I'll find one around here eventually.

#54 ·
Has anyone tested the input lag on this Projector? Word is that input lag is getting worse on the latest batch of PJ's so that way gaming is now noticeably affected.

Anyone?

I've had my eye on this PJ since its release, waiting for the first batch of price drops to hit but wanted to get the scoop on Input Lag first if possible, I don't know if this PJ has a "game" mode or "Processing Bypass" of some kind.

#55 ·
HeadRusch,

I tested it properly (crt), the results are in the official thread in the $3K+ forum.

The best it would do after trying multiple variations of settings was in the low 60's (which is actually improved from the previous 5010 that was in the 80-90 ms range).

Jason

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaMilan  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread#post_22771794

3D is what a bit of a mixed bag.... until you figure out the quirks.... in the main menu you can change the "screen size" to SUPPOSEDLY match yours; However, when I changed it to 120 I kept seeing "ghosting"(a slight double vision effect, especially on fast pans etc). I finally fixed that problem by simply defaulting the "screen size" back to 60???? ghosting is gone and image is wonderful!.... but I ask why the avaiable adjustment? did I miss something.... well I guess once this thead gets going we are sure to find out.

Hello all,

I got my 5020UBe (TW-8100w) this morning and I'm really pleased so far!

However, I am getting a little bit of ghosting while watching 3D. Especially in subtitles (which my wife needs) and when things are way in the background, but still in focus.

As mentioned above, I set the screen size to default at 60 even though my screen is 80. It looked a little better that way. I also played around with my PS3 settings because you can choose 3D screen size there as well. So far, it looked better at 80 compared to the default of 72. I'll play around with that a little more tomorrow because you have to stop playback and exit out to the XMB to change settings... Very time consuming...

I also played with the 3D depth control, but found that 0 provided the best overall picture to my eyes.

By no means is the 3D bad, but I wonder if it can be improved?

Any advise on 3D settings?

Also, I'm really impressed on the color out of the box... The first page of this thread mentions calibrations, but does it make a huge difference? I never calibrated my previous PJ, but I'm curious...

Thanks!

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread/30#post_22850246

Hello all,

I got my 5020UBe (TW-8100w) this morning and I'm really pleased so far!

However, I am getting a little bit of ghosting while watching 3D. Especially in subtitles (which my wife needs) and when things are way in the background, but still in focus.

As mentioned above, I set the screen size to default at 60 even though my screen is 80. It looked a little better that way. I also played around with my PS3 settings because you can choose 3D screen size there as well. So far, it looked better at 80 compared to the default of 72. I'll play around with that a little more tomorrow because you have to stop playback and exit out to the XMB to change settings... Very time consuming...

I also played with the 3D depth control, but found that 0 provided the best overall picture to my eyes.

By no means is the 3D bad, but I wonder if it can be improved?

Any advise on 3D settings?

Also, I'm really impressed on the color out of the box... The first page of this thread mentions calibrations, but does it make a huge difference? I never calibrated my previous PJ, but I'm curious...

Thanks!

I would imagine that getting subtitles to remain in focus on a 3d image would be difficult. Calibration might not be a HUGE difference, but can be very noticeable, especially if the "out of the box" color is not very good. Most likely you'll lose a little brightness, just wait till around 200-300 hrs before getting one done. The 5020 has a very good THX mode, http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5020/calibration.php

#61 ·
ok got everything hooked up and loving every minute of it.

I had a question for everyone whos used to projectors, or espon ones. Seeing as this is my first one EVER, I may just be not used to it. So far the out of the box calibration isn't to bad, and I tried to follow the calibrations from http://www.projectorreviews.com . It seems, at least to me that everything has a sort of greenish tint to it... kind of how "the matrix" did, but not nearly as bad. Seems like once the scene settles (or maybe its my eyes), the colors settle out.

Im using a monoprice 92" drop down screen (which is actually cool), with 1.0 gain. Also running the projector in ECO mode (THX setting). I was kind of surprised on eco mode, even at about a 11' throw distance, it seems a little dark. Maybe thats just from the 1.0 screen... BTW I'm in a completely dark room, pretty much no light other then the screen. The blacks look great too. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Coming from a LCD, I think I'm just to used to that lol

#62 ·
Hey all, I'm a little confused. I've decided to hop on the 3D bandwagon to see what all the fuss is about and settled on the Epson 5020UB (order placed, just waiting on delivery). I'm coming from a Sony HW15 which has been spectacular and I still love it, but the 3D thing sure has tempted me for a bit. Anyway, I read that the 5020 has a panel convergence menu similar to what the VPL-HW15 uses which was a definite sales point for me, yet I keep seeing mention of convergence issues with the 5020 in numerous posts here... So to my confusion, are people unaware of the adjustments that can be made or is the degree of correction so minimal that it's ineffectual? Or is the convergence menu not an actual panel alignment system like I'm thinking of?

Is perfect convergence (at least to the human eye) obtainable on the 5020? I ask because after calibrating and aligning the HW15 I go up and put my nose to the screen and see a nice white crosshatch pattern. I'm hoping for the same with the 5020 but I'm a little concerned I won't be able to get the same uniformity. Probably worrying too much, eh?

#63 ·
In my opinion, convergence worries are overblown. Alignment can usually be corrected to acceptable levels using the panel convergence feature. Just don't use subpixel correction since this is faked by playing tricks with timing and neighboring pixel brightness and which can cause color artifacts. Unless the panels have a rotational misalignment, you should be able to get to within a half pixel of convergence across the screen which cannot be detected from normal seating distance and typical video sources. Don't expect perfect convergence with a 3-panel projector, but it should be close enough after adjustment to look fantastic at seating distance. And if it cannot be so adjusted, you can always do an exchange through Epson, so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaMilan  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread#post_22771815

One more thing.... the Samsung SSG-4100GB $19.99 Active 3d glasses work well with the Epson 5020UB.... I will also be testing the $50.00 Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU....

Any more news on 3D glasses that are compatible with the new Epson? Do you notice any difference in brightness when using the Samsung glasses as opposed to the Epson supplied ones? Projector review stated that the new Epson glasses allowed for much brighter picture than last year's IR Epson glasses.

#66 ·
Got my JVC RS-40 back from the warranty service and the 3D's working (they replaced a processor), but if there was ever any doubt that the EPSON is better (and really there wasn't for me) a direct A/B comparison confirms it in spades.

True, the JVC now has about 600 on the bulb (original one) and needs a new one, but still, the Epson's bright, almost perfectly ghost-free 3D is at least 50% better.

But I'm keeping the JVC for 2D viewing, I figure it's not worth much for re-sale now, and frankly the image is a bit better still than the 5020, it just feels "smoother" to me and more film like. Yes, the blacks are a bit better, but I have such a long throw that this is not much of an issue, and the Epson's blacks are pretty darn good.

But the D-ILA image has a kind of subtle refinement that straight LCD can't quite match.

However, if I wasn't in this unique situation, I think I'd be perfectly happy with the 5020 as an all-around projector in my theatre.

S A M 33

#67 ·
Well, got my 5020UB in yesterday and have been messing with it for a bit now. All I can say is WOW! The 3D effect this PJ produces is unmatched compared to anything else I've seen. Very bright and I haven't seen any crosstalk/ghosting when using TMT5 for playback. The alignment menu is great too, I was able to get perfect alignment to my eyes within about 5-10 minutes. And what a light cannon this is even in eco mode. Overall I'm really impressed with my first Epson projector!

The only downside compared to my Sony VPL-HW15 is a little more audible noise in eco, and a lot more in full power. It's not terrible by any means, I've certainly had worse, but it's not whisper quiet like the Sony model. I would also say that the LCoS panels on the Sony are of higher quality in that it produces a softer, more natural image. The Epson is certainly sharper though so I suppose it evens out. I still need to calibrate the Epson once I hit 100 hours, I'm sure it will look even better after that. Out of the box color isn't bad but it definitely has an overblown look to it. Not a bad thing if you want a really huge plasma like display. Gaming is also excellent on this projector, I haven't noticed any delay between controller input and display.

For anyone interested in 3D movies I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these Epson models, really great stuff.

#68 ·
I've had my 5020UB for 9 days now. I have ceiling mounted it and I was able to get good convergence using the convergence menu. My question now is, has anyone else been annoyed with how amazingly slow the 5020UB is to sync up to input signals? I'm not taking about video processing lag, but rather when I switch from say HDMI1 to HDMI2, it's several painful seconds before I see a picture. Also when I am browsing channels on my Digital Cable box connected via HDMI, if I view a channel that is sending a 720p stream and press channel up and the next channel is 1080i, the screen again blanks out for quite a long time. My old Sanyo Z700 never did this. Was I just spoiled? Or is there something that can be done in the settings somewhere to reduce this sync delay?

#70 ·
I've noticed the same thing when it comes to HDMI sync, a delay of about 3 seconds. I'm not overly bothered by it but it would be nice to know if there's a way to speed things up. I've seen it both on my HTPC and PS3 so I doubt it has anything to do with cabling or devices other than the PJ. Maybe a future firmware update can fix the problem...

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread/60#post_22883568

Has anyone noticed a problem with the hours kept for lamp time? I've used my 5020 for around 8-10 hours now, and in the menu it still has lamp hours at 0. Was just curious if anything might be wrong

thats normal

it only starts counting after 10-to 20 hours i think

how do you like your 5020?

i have one coming soon

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread/60#post_22881395

I have noted HDMI handshake problems with the Epson. I hope today to finally hook up my new Oppo 103 with a new HDMI cable and see if that helps.

S A M 33
I ordered one of these and hope it fixes some of my HDMI issues. In my case, it's AMD (ATI) video cards and the projector. No handshake issues with Nvidia or Intel chipsets. I do prefer ATI 2D quality, though, hence why I am buying this:
http://www.vidabox.com/products_dr_doctor_hdmi.php

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1449027/epson-5020ub-owners-thread/60#post_22883588

thats normal

it only starts counting after 10-to 20 hours i think

how do you like your 5020?

i have one coming soon

O solid, good to know

and i love it so far honestly. There's a few things here and there I need to tweak to get it just right. But for how and what I use it for, its awesome. I'm actually getting sold more and more on the 3D thing. Watched Resident Evil Retribution last night, it was kick ass in 3D (and the movie wasn't near as bad as people made it sound to be)

#76 ·
Could someone PM me with the best deal on a new Epson5020UB projector. I live in Canada and I'm doing research for my condo Board of Directors. I have seen prices of $2600.00 at BestBuy in Buffalo NY but cannot cross border because of the warranty issues etc.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.