post #991 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Since no one answered the question for me, I decided to test it myself.

If you just turn off the projector's 3D mode, it displayed a perfectly clear 2D picture.

I only tested it with one 3D Blu-ray.

I think there may be a problem with this approach. Many 3D blu-ray sets include a 2D version of the movie on a blu-ray disc, and a separate blu-ray disc which contains only the 3D version of the movie.

Many 3D versions are mastered differently...specifically, the brightness on a 3D blu-ray may be boosted in order to compensate for the reduced brightness that happens when wearing 3D glasses. If you use a 3D blu-ray and turn 3D off on the projector, yes, you're seeing a 2D image but it's not going to look the same as the native 2D blu-ray disc would look. Brightness may be different, and the "half" of the 3D view you're seeing may look different in other ways (depending on how the 3D effects are rendered).

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to buy a projector but I'm not sure if the 5020 is the runner up. The problem is that the back of my room is narrow about 9.5' and the front is 20'. I would like to know if the 5020 has to be in the perfect center position or there is a room for error? Also I have a low ceiling and planning to use a 125" 2.35 screen.
post #993 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post

I'm planning to buy a projector but I'm not sure if the 5020 is the runner up. The problem is that the back of my room is narrow about 9.5' and the front is 20'. I would like to know if the 5020 has to be in the perfect center position or there is a room for error? Also I have a low ceiling and planning to use a 125" 2.35 screen.

Ding Dong - all PJs need to be centered
post #994 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Ding Dong - all PJs need to be centered

I don't think that all projectors have to in the center of the room, That is why projectors have horizontal lens. Am I wrong? I thought that it is the whole purpose of that feature. Here is room sketch.
post #995 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I don't think that all projectors have to in the center of the room, That is why projectors have horizontal lens. Am I wrong? I thought that it is the whole purpose of that feature.

Yes, the 5020/6020 have horizontal and vertical lens shift. With that being said, it is recommended to setup the projector as square to the screen as possible. I couldn't tell you if it will work in your situation, but I've used both vertical and horizontal lens shift, with my 5010.
post #996 of 1338 Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I don't think that all projectors have to in the center of the room, That is why projectors have horizontal lens. Am I wrong? I thought that it is the whole purpose of that feature. Here is room sketch.

You are correct. I have a lot of lens shift applied on my 8350, both vertical and horizontal. It works just fine, and it will on the 5020 as well. In fact, in this situation, it makes it possible to stand in the middle of the room and not cast a shadow. Great for Wii-like games.
post #997 of 1338 Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Hard to tell from your sketch but it looks like your screen will be 10-15 feet from the PJ? If so, the Epson owners manual shows that you will have about 82" total horizontal shift (+41" - -41"). Download the owners manual here. Then take a look at page 14.

Also, take a look at the room calculator here - make sure you select the 5020 from the drop down list.
post #998 of 1338 Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone bought the Costco Squaretrade Extended Warranty for these projectors. Just curious if they count as 'TVs' for warranty purpose.
post #999 of 1338 Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

It is not source material it is the projector. It has very bad judder/motion blur with camera panning. It is so bad that it makes me almost sick watching it. Does it on directv and blu rays. One of the many problems with this projector.

I have this projector and it's outstanding. Who are you trolling for?
post #1000 of 1338 Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
new owner here. just wanted to share some praise as well. love this projector to death. replaced a 58" panny plasma. blacks are obviously not as good but its a damn nice picture. wish I would have realized the newer model is supposed to be out in two or three weeks, but all in all I am extremely pleased.

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #1001 of 1338 Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 PM

Just realized Netflix offers 3D movies! I finally figured out you have to start the movie then manually select 3D on the projector remote to view. It apparently does not "detect" 3D on Netflix.
post #1002 of 1338 Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 PM

Well just after 3 months of blissful cinematic delights watching maybe 20 bluray discs total, this morning I turned it on but nothing happened so I looked up and saw 2 flashing red lights, had to pull a step ladder to see clearly that it was a lamp and temp lights. I say whoa, what is going on this unit still smell new? This can't be, so I turned it off and back on, heard the fan running then shut off, the 2 red lights flashing again. Disbelief set in, I tried a final reboot by unplugging it, counted to 20 then plugged it in, again...Same story, checked the owner manual, called the factory rep and discussed options, he said it must be sent in for repair, I said it is only 3 months old, will they send me new replacement he said no, it will be a refurbished unit I said wait, hold it I want new he said I must call back Monday (today is Saturday) to talk to someone I said OK I will. Needless to say I was distraught, hoping for a movie weekend because of the huge tropical storm hitting the NW so we had to stay indoor. Bummer, need advice to go from here, refurbished or new? Thanks!

Panasonic BDT330 -> Epson 5020UB -> SI 120" = Stunning pictures when working!
post #1003 of 1338 Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks202 View Post

Just realized Netflix offers 3D movies! I finally figured out you have to start the movie then manually select 3D on the projector remote to view. It apparently does not "detect" 3D on Netflix.

My Projector works fine detecting 3D on VuDu. That is what I use.

I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D last night.
post #1004 of 1338 Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeful99 View Post

Well just after 3 months of blissful cinematic delights watching maybe 20 bluray discs total, this morning I turned it on but nothing happened so I looked up and saw 2 flashing red lights, had to pull a step ladder to see clearly that it was a lamp and temp lights. I say whoa, what is going on this unit still smell new? This can't be, so I turned it off and back on, heard the fan running then shut off, the 2 red lights flashing again. Disbelief set in, I tried a final reboot by unplugging it, counted to 20 then plugged it in, again...Same story, checked the owner manual, called the factory rep and discussed options, he said it must be sent in for repair, I said it is only 3 months old, will they send me new replacement he said no, it will be a refurbished unit I said wait, hold it I want new he said I must call back Monday (today is Saturday) to talk to someone I said OK I will. Needless to say I was distraught, hoping for a movie weekend because of the huge tropical storm hitting the NW so we had to stay indoor. Bummer, need advice to go from here, refurbished or new? Thanks!

Ouch! I think I'd also demand a NEW one @ only 3 months old.

Best of luck!

Ed
post #1005 of 1338 Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Try your vendor first if not purchased directly from Epson. I had a similar experience and I made a little noise about refurbished vs new. The Projector People sent me a new projector and they dealt with Epson.
post #1006 of 1338 Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got this connected to s DirecTV HD box. While wstvhimng hockey it seems like the picture is blurry when the camera pans. I'm looking at the setting and I noticed that I cannot change my aspect or progressive or motion control settings? Amy ides why these signal menu options would be disabled for a connection over HDMI. Projector is new and haven't tweaked much of anything.

Theater Build thread here
post #1007 of 1338 Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just found out why. Its hooked up to my onkyo 616 and I guess that is outputting at 1080p instead of direct. Not sure which will give a better picture.

Theater Build thread here
post #1008 of 1338 Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post

I just found out why. Its hooked up to my onkyo 616 and I guess that is outputting at 1080p instead of direct. Not sure which will give a better picture.

I would turn off all video processing in your AVR.
post #1009 of 1338 Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Watched "Patton" tonight on the 5020UB. It was fantastic. The film looked so good with this projector. Question: I've heard some complaints about fan noise. Where I sit the 5020 is mounted right over my head. I don't hear much noise let alone the fan. After I shut if off the fan might run a minute at tops. When it does run it isn't loud at all. While you are watching a film does the fan come on in intermittent times?
post #1010 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post

Watched "Patton" tonight on the 5020UB. It was fantastic. The film looked so good with this projector. Question: I've heard some complaints about fan noise. Where I sit the 5020 is mounted right over my head. I don't hear much noise let alone the fan. After I shut if off the fan might run a minute at tops. When it does run it isn't loud at all. While you are watching a film does the fan come on in intermittent times?

The fan noise depends on the mode you have set. In ECO mode the fan should hardly be noticeable even if you are sitting directly under it. I use ECO mode exclusively unless I am watching 3D and then the fan will ramp up to increase the brightness with 3D. This is a very bright projector so some fan noise is a small price to pay for such brightness IMHO.
post #1011 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

The fan noise depends on the mode you have set. In ECO mode the fan should hardly be noticeable even if you are sitting directly under it. I use ECO mode exclusively unless I am watching 3D and then the fan will ramp up to increase the brightness with 3D. This is a very bright projector so some fan noise is a small price to pay for such brightness IMHO.
Thanks Willy. Mine is in eco mode as well. It really is a great projector. Is yours mounted upside down?
post #1012 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To answer your other question, the fan is always on but adjusts to whatever mode your in - eco, normal or 3D.
post #1013 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post

Thanks Willy. Mine is in eco mode as well. It really is a great projector. Is yours mounted upside down?
Yes, and I sit almost directly underneath it. Don't notice the fan as much as the dynamic iris which I now keep turned off because I don't really notice any PQ difference with it on. To my eyes, the blacks are great with it off and I don't have to listen to the iris. Someone suggested mounting the PJ on rubber cushions which I may do at some point but for now I am 100% happy with the iris off and quiet.
post #1014 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Try your vendor first if not purchased directly from Epson. I had a similar experience and I made a little noise about refurbished vs new. The Projector People sent me a new projector and they dealt with Epson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Ouch! I think I'd also demand a NEW one @ only 3 months old.

Best of luck!

Ed

Quote:

Quick update...New replacement arrived in less than 38 hours after the service tech OK'ed it, I noticed the package has everything included except for the 2 pairs of 3D glasses. I left the accessory package alone and just repack the old PJ to send back. New unit works fine, just an amazing picture. I bought mine at BestBuy without the in-store extra warranty that may help in this situation. Here hoping this one lasts a few years. Thanks for all comments.
post #1015 of 1338 Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Quick update...New replacement arrived in less than 38 hours after the service tech OK'ed it, I noticed the package has everything included except for the 2 pairs of 3D glasses. I left the accessory package alone and just repack the old PJ to send back. New unit works fine, just an amazing picture. I bought mine at BestBuy without the in-store extra warranty that may help in this situation. Here hoping this one lasts a few years. Thanks for all comments.

Wow that was great service. Hope the replacement continues to perform well!

Ed
post #1016 of 1338 Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

How do you know if the movie is available in 3D or not? I tried searching and couldn't find squat. I'm running Netflix through a PS3.
post #1017 of 1338 Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Yes, and I sit almost directly underneath it. Don't notice the fan as much as the dynamic iris which I now keep turned off because I don't really notice any PQ difference with it on. To my eyes, the blacks are great with it off and I don't have to listen to the iris. Someone suggested mounting the PJ on rubber cushions which I may do at some point but for now I am 100% happy with the iris off and quiet.

The dynamic iris noise is just plain annoying!

The best bet for reducing noise, if you have it shelf mounted, is probably to stick a 1/2" thick foam or something on the entire portion of the shelf and even the wall behind if it the aesthetics allow it. White noise like that isn't getting transmitted through the wall, it's through the air. Some foam or carpet up there will help absorb it. Rubber would be too dense to accomplish anything.
post #1018 of 1338 Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post

How do you know if the movie is available in 3D or not? I tried searching and couldn't find squat. I'm running Netflix through a PS3.
If you scroll down the page there should be a 3D section, I also have a PS3.
post #1019 of 1338 Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM

select "search" then enter 3d. you get a list. I'm also on ps3
post #1020 of 1338 Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post

The dynamic iris noise is just plain annoying!.

TURN IT OFF.

Almost No One Uses it.
sparky7 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page