Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1298 Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

IMHO... if you have a light controlled room, high end screens are not worth the money.

can a great screen be had for under $1000? I plan to control the lighting in the room. I do currently have a 5-6 year old pull down Panoview that someone gave me. I think its 90"….Willing to buy better though.

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1298 Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 35
My 155 inch screen material was around $300 plus lumber, etc.
For $400ish you can build a very nice screen. Even less if you don't need AT.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #1083 of 1298 Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

My 155 inch screen material was around $300 plus lumber, etc.
For $400ish you can build a very nice screen. Even less if you don't need AT.

is there a thread on building your own?

Jake
post #1084 of 1298 Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASS03SVT View Post

is there a thread on building your own?

Probably.

You can look at my theater build. I documented it some when I built mine.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #1085 of 1298 Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 AM

I have an xbox 360 hooked up to my epson 5020. My sons are coming home for the holidays and I would like to see if I can do the dual play split screen in 3D. And does anyone know where I can get the glasses for it to work or do I have to buy 2 new glasses and switch out the lenses.
post #1086 of 1298 Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Epson is sending me a new 5020ub tomorrow because of convergence issues. Mine had a blue tinge on the right side of the screen and pink on the left side. My only fear is that I'm taking a chance that the next one may be worse than the first. I purchased my original pj in February, so I'm grateful that Epson even considered exchanging. I agree, the service is remarkable!
post #1087 of 1298 Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by depalmat View Post

Epson is sending me a new 5020ub tomorrow because of convergence issues. Mine had a blue tinge on the right side of the screen and pink on the left side. My only fear is that I'm taking a chance that the next one may be worse than the first. I purchased my original pj in February, so I'm grateful that Epson even considered exchanging. I agree, the service is remarkable!

You should have a two year warranty....

post #1088 of 1298 Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM

Yes, 2 years. Still, remarkable, and they pay the shipping and supply the container. Just hope that this 2nd pj works ok and it's not a refurbished one.
post #1089 of 1298 Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Yes, 2 years. Still, remarkable, and they pay the shipping and supply the container. Just hope that this 2nd pj works ok and it's not a refurbished one.

It will be refurbished. You will have to make some noise with Epson or your vendor to get a new one.
post #1090 of 1298 Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 AM

The replacement pj was a 5010 instead of a 5020ub. Ugh..Now I know why my 3d glasses wouldn't work! Also, it was refurbished as well. Hopefully I will be getting a 5020ub today, but won't expect a new one, but a refurbished one. I asked if I could exchange it for a 5030UB, but the exchange has to be like-like.
post #1091 of 1298 Old 11-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Do you get that with any source? I get it only from my cable box, but nothing else. It's like it's overscanning the image signal. There's an adjustment but I can't get it to do anything.
post #1092 of 1298 Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Everything goes through my Integra Receiver, so there is only one HDMI plugging into the Receiver. I talked to some technicians here in town and Epson and they all said it can't be fixed so return it. And yes, the tint shows up from ATT-UVerse and my Sony BluRay. It's not that bad, but it seems to affect my adjusting the convergence of the panels. In other words, I think that I did the convergence spot on then when viewing the image that tint shows up anyway. Very Frustrating! The 5010 that I was sent by mistake to replace my original pj was easy to set the convergence with no pink/blue tint at all. Still waiting for the correct replacement.
post #1093 of 1298 Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 15

I see that Visual Apex has the 5020ub-R (refurbished) on sale for $1,899.

Do the refurbished projectors have the same warranty as the new ones? I couldn't find a non refurbished 5020ub listed on their website.

post #1094 of 1298 Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

I see that Visual Apex has the 5020ub-R (refurbished) on sale for $1,899.

Do the refurbished projectors have the same warranty as the new ones? I couldn't find a non refurbished 5020ub listed on their website.

It claims to have the same warranty , 2 year projector / 90 days lamp. That's actually pretty tempting considering odds are you'll have to send yours in at some point for a refurbished model anyway.
post #1095 of 1298 Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Hi All:

I have been planning the purchase of a projector for the last six months. I was originally going to go with the Epson 3020 but when the Epson 5020ube went on sale for $2400 I had to pull the trigger. If you spend to much time researching products on forums you almost don't want to buy anything. Seems every product has a certain percentage with problems and it makes you afraid to buy anything.

That's why I am posting this to let everyone know mine was defect free and totally amazing. I have read about all kinds of issues with the wireless HDMI but mine has been completely trouble free. Yes it does take a little time to make the handshake when you change sources but we are only talking 10 or 15 seconds. I my opinion the 3D is better than in the theater, Watched Jurassic Park last night and was blown away. Black levels on this projector are pretty darn close to my plasma. I am glad I decided to keep the plasma because I have a small living room and sometimes you just want to watch TV. When I pull that 120" screen down it becomes and event! Speaking of screens, so glad I didn't drop big bucks on a screen. I got a $150 pull down from Elite Screens and actually like it better than the big bucks Black Diamond screen they had the Epson hooked up to at Best Buy.

So that's my two cents worth, would recommend this projector to anybody. Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Theheadsn likes this.
post #1096 of 1298 Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Liked: 13
Do you find the 3D to be pretty loud?

post #1097 of 1298 Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Sorry, not sure what you mean by loud.

post #1098 of 1298 Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Gentleben, that's great you've had success with the projector. I'm thinking of picking one up although I'm a bit hesitant as my theater won't be done for a few months.
post #1099 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM

It has been well over a decade since I've posted and since I've upgraded my theater, The Nexus. So long as a matter of fact that this is a new account. I don't remember my old credentials, and won't even bother to try to figure them out.

My screen is a Stewart Filmscreen Ultramatte 1.5 16:9 90"x50.5". That works out to 103". This is a so-called 'acoustically transparent' (micro-perforated) screen because my L/R/C speakers are mounted behind the screen.

I want to replace my antiquated, albeit still capable, Runco DTV-852 with a new projector, and I'm considering one of these babies.

I have a dedicated room which is totally dark, I'll be using WHDI using an IOGear Wireless HD Digital Kit (GW3DHDKIT) in all likelihood because I have a dedicated equipment room that is not line of sight and when my theater was constructed HDMI was not around and I have no way to pull a new run to the the locations where the projector might be mounted. Currently I have a hushbox which is likely to remain the location where the projector mounted. Or perhaps I'll ceiling mount the projector somewhere in the same vicinity, which is approximately 14' from the screen.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm currently using a DVDO Scaler and a Lexicon DC-1, and I'm thinking of upgrading both. I'm so out of touch. Does one even need a scalar these days? I'd still need a receiver / processor with HDMI switching capability, but beyond that...?

Thank you!

post #1100 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Good setup GentleBen smile.gif I have the normal 5020 and I love it to death. I have my screen drop over my tv like yours as well. I can tell you for a fact the 3d is 10x better then most theater ive been at, the only one that is better (and well it better be), are the actually Imax theaters. Not the BS ones where they just call it an Imax. With the real ones the screens fill up so much of your view and its passive 3d so the lenses aren't as dark. But then again your paying 20 bucks a ticket ha

Side note, if you haven't seen the movie Gravity yet, BUY IT when it comes out and use it as a 3d reference on your system. People will love you for it
post #1101 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Well I've had the 5020 for a week now and it still continues to impress! I really didn't consider myself much of a 3d guy but they are just amazing on this thing. Watched Star Trek Into Darkness last night and just finished watching Avatar, just wow, wow, wow! Must agree with "Theheadsn", the theater can't touch this. Looks like there are a lot more 3D blue-rays in my future. :)

post #1102 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate View Post

Do you find the 3D to be pretty loud?

With the fan, yes it's noticeable. I was expecting better for the price. But I always use it in Eco mode, and rarely use the fan, 3D or otherwise. I'm not being picky, my last projector was a CRT made in 1990.

I have the Epson on a shelf, mounted high on the wall above the couch.
post #1103 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

Side note, if you haven't seen the movie Gravity yet, BUY IT when it comes out and use it as a 3d reference on your system. People will love you for it

I PAID to see Gravity in IMAX 3D. I thought it was the biggest waste of money all year.

I have NO CLUE what 3D effects you thought were GREAT.

The Movie was NEVER FILMED in 3D.
post #1104 of 1298 Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I PAID to see Gravity in IMAX 3D. I thought it was the biggest waste of money all year.

I have NO CLUE what 3D effects you thought were GREAT.

The Movie was NEVER FILMED in 3D.

Given that it was almost entirely CGI it wasn't really filmed at all. But it did have 3d planned for all shots.
post #1105 of 1298 Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 AM

to each their own. Some people dont like certain movies while others love them. Im still surprised by all the people that thought Avatar was some ground breaking movie. Ya if this was 30 years ago when Dances with Wolfs and Ferngully came out I might say so lol

Some people thought gravity was boring, I liked it. But then again I also loved Children of Men, which some people didnt like either. Same director, so you get the same kinda feel
post #1106 of 1298 Old 11-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Given that it was almost entirely CGI it wasn't really filmed at all. But it did have 3d planned for all shots.

Drhanks uses BOLD and CAPS to make his points, so he wins. If you actually believed in what you said you would learn to OVERCOMPENSATE too!
old corps likes this.
post #1107 of 1298 Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Nothing like staying on topic. Sigh.

post #1108 of 1298 Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetrancuri View Post

Nothing like staying on topic. Sigh.

Just guessing but you may not have received any replies because you really didn't ask a specific question. I am pretty sure the wireless requires line of sight - but I don't have the wireless model so I can't say for sure. With respect to the PJ picture, I think most everyone here is very happy with the picture quality, black level and lack of motion blur. The PJ is very bright - one of the brightest available. The only knock on the PJ would be the rather noisy auto iris but it can be defeated or minimized. Another knock would be the rather slow sync time when changing sources/inputs. Some owners have had convergence issues but Epson customer service has responded to them quickly and provided replacements. 3D is excellent.

I have had mine about 6 months now and would not hesitate to recommend it - even over models costing a lot more.
post #1109 of 1298 Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 AM

well so far I will have had to get 2 replacement 5020's. I owned mine for a year and then I got the 2 red blinking lights of death, theres no solution, the manual just says you have to call for a replacement. So about a month ago I did that. Now tonight while watching tv one half of the screen now has moving line distortions, looks like a moving flickering screen door. Ive eliminated the av receiver and tried 2 different sources, multiple hdmi cables, both hdmi ports, and also used the same sources with component input and the issue was still there, so its a problem with the 5020

So hopefully I can get a second replacement, within a months time, at this point Id avoid it even though I did love the picture quality and everything while it worked, just having to get 2 replacements within a year basically has now put me off owning epsons which Ive done for the past 10 years

post #1110 of 1298 Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post

well so far I will have had to get 2 replacement 5020's. I owned mine for a year and then I got the 2 red blinking lights of death, theres no solution, the manual just says you have to call for a replacement. So about a month ago I did that. Now tonight while watching tv one half of the screen now has moving line distortions, looks like a moving flickering screen door. Ive eliminated the av receiver and tried 2 different sources, multiple hdmi cables, both hdmi ports, and also used the same sources with component input and the issue was still there, so its a problem with the 5020

So hopefully I can get a second replacement, within a months time, at this point Id avoid it even though I did love the picture quality and everything while it worked, just having to get 2 replacements within a year basically has now put me off owning epsons which Ive done for the past 10 years

That sucks. That's actually my biggest fear with the 6030 I'm getting. I have little faith in the QC of Epson, but I hope I can be proved wrong. I should at least be able to get 3 years out of it given the warranty.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page