post #91 of 1307 Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

The RGB settings aren't saving properly (at least for mine). Instead of being specific for each display mode (eg: Cinema vs. Living Room)
the RGB changes for ALL modes (ie: it's acting like a global setting). I opened a case with Epson to investigate this since it might just be
my own. They'll get back to me in 24-48 hrs they said.

I'm not happy! Just spoke to Epson and this is apparently *NORMAL*. How can it be the RGB settings (ie: colour temperature) be GLOBAL for all modes?
Anyone heard of this? They suggested I used the memory settings on the projector to get around this. I notice now that Art also used the memory settings
when dealing with his calibrations.

I told support that I will follow their suggestion but to comment on my case# that I don't consider this a fix to the real issue. I inquired on how I can
have someone look into a firmware fix for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 AM

Just got word from my dealer that my Epson 5020UBe won't be available until the end of February. This was ordered Dec.12! Wow, Epson really did some bad forecasting on this one!
post #93 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
It will be worth the wait.it puts out an incredible picture
post #94 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM

whats the best way to install your 5020 - hang it from the ceiling upside down or on a shelf rightside up?
> ASSUME THE PICTURE IS THE SAME EITHER WAY

Thanks
post #95 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonsk View Post

whats the best way to install your 5020 - hang it from the ceiling upside down or on a shelf rightside up?
> ASSUME THE PICTURE IS THE SAME EITHER WAY

Thanks

The picture will be the same, if you need to hang it upside down, there is an option in settings that allows you to set to ceiling mount. I have mine in a custom built shelf on the top of my back wall.
post #96 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Will do
post #97 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM

I heard it was better for heat to dissapate if it was hung upside down?
any thoughts on that?

If you had a choice which way would you install your projector - upside down or right side up?
post #98 of 1307 Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonsk View Post

I heard it was better for heat to dissapate if it was hung upside down?
any thoughts on that?

If you had a choice which way would you install your projector - upside down or right side up?

I have mine hung from the ceiling. I could have sat it on a shelf, but for me, the ceiling route worked out the best.
post #99 of 1307 Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM

I just wanted to comment on the 3d of the projector...no exaggeration, this thing is a beast. I put in Sammy Adventure a turtles tale and the pop outs were jaw dropping. I was impressed with this movie the first time I played it on my Samsung led, but now I truly know what it is to see the 3d the way the makers intended. There was a scene, about 15 minutes into it, where Sammy the turtle pushes a jellyfish out of the screen. The jelly fish literally came out of the screen and floated about a foot from my face and I was sitting about 10 feet from the screen...Amazing!
post #100 of 1307 Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Any chance that ceiling mounting will mess up the panel's convergence?
post #101 of 1307 Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

Any chance that ceiling mounting will mess up the panel's convergence?

Mounting my 5020 on the ceiling had better convergence than having the projector right side up. I can't explain it. My 3020 was completely opposite. Ceiling mounting made it worse. YMMV.
post #102 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 12
I have buy an epson 5020 (tw8100) and i think that have convergence issues, with your experience what do you think? I have a HP 119´ and from 16 fett i can see the missconvergence, do you think i ll contact epson for a new one?
post #103 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Igreis, I just received my 5020 yesterday and I am wondering about convergence as well. I had read earlier in the forum that it was adjustable, but I haven't found it in any of the menu's. I am hoping someone can tell us where the convergence adjustments can be found.
post #104 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post

I have buy an epson 5020 (tw8100) and i think that have convergence issues, with your experience what do you think? I have a HP 119´ and from 16 fett i can see the missconvergence, do you think i ll contact epson for a new one?
that doesn't look to bad
post #105 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Hrm, just came across something not too pleasant. I turned off the 5020 earlier but left my HTPC and receiver on then came back a few hours later to watch something. Turned on the PJ and when I got a picture the colors were going to extreme ranges (white to green then to purple across the entire screen). Restarting the computer fixes the issue so I'm guessing it's related to a handshake problem.

Also, I'll sometimes be browsing a site using Firefox and the display will cut to black like it loses signal. A major offender is Amazon.com. Every time I'm on the main page within a few seconds the display will go black and I'll have to quit firefox to get an image again. I'm not sure if this is related to my Nvidia GTX 680 or my Yamaha receiver, but I've never seen this on any of my previous projectors using this setup (A Sharp DLP projector and a Sony HW15). I've updated my receiver to the latest firmware available for it but the issue persists.

EDIT: Seems I've managed to fix the problem. A simple reinstall of the Nvidia drivers wasn't enough when I swapped out the cards, so I manually uninstalled the drivers including a registry clean and then reinstalled. Everything seems fine now after power up. Here's to simple fixes. smile.gif

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, though the color issue seems to be gone I'm still getting blackouts while web browsing at times.
post #106 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

that doesn't look to bad

Before i went to the 5020 i have the 8350 and the convergence was way better, i only see the misconvergence very close to the screen at about 7 feet. The 5020 i see at 16 feet. This is not aceptable, the sharpness of the image without the super resolution is about the same and the 5020 costs 3 times more. I have already tried the LCD alignment but the result is like using the "keystone". We cant align something digitaly that is misalign fisicaly. I will report this issue to Epson
post #107 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Can any one tell me where the convergence adjustments are?
post #108 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM

DOH! i guess I should have been looking for LCD alignment ! nevermind.
post #109 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 13
lgreis, try adjusting the panel alignment using only increments of 10, and keep all 4 corners set the same. This will avoid sub-pixel or fractional alignment, which is not really alignment at all (faked using color tricks in neighboring pixels). You may be able to get your alignment to within 1/2 pixel across the screen with no color artifacts. I started off with extremely poor convergence and was able to dial it in to near perfect using +/-10 corrections, and am extremely happy with convergence now.

I wrote up a procedure here. I strongly suggest you don't use the built-in patterns to assess convergence; see the procedure.
post #110 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM

I just bought a 5020UB, waiting for the carpeting to be done start putting in the equipment. What mounts are you using? Planning a ceiling mount.

Thanks!
post #111 of 1307 Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM

Hey guys so I'm on my second epson 5020 first one was glitchy it was flashing a white screen. So I got another one and I love this projector but I've got two issues now. First is when I'm watching a 3d movie I get this portion of screen about 3-4 inches wide on the sides of the screen from top to bottom it switches sides at random than disappears than comes back. I called Epson and they said it might be my hdmi cord being to long for the 3d signal so it's not receiving properly but this never happened on my hd33... Second is I can't get the picture to line up with my screen. The projector is directly in the middle about 20 feet back but I can get the bottom and left side perfectly lined up and right bottom corner too but the right top corner is out of wack. Keystone just makes it worse right so I even measured my screen to make sure it wasn't the screen that wasn't perfectly square. Any tips or advice would be great thanks.
post #112 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM

If anyone is wondering why the delay in shipments of the Epson 5020UBe, it's because they lack some parts for the wireless feature. This means that this model won't be available till the end of February at the earliest. I had a UBe ordered, but don't want to wait. I thought that the wireless would be a cool feature even if I don't need it now but, alas, I can't wait any longer, so I'm getting the UB Wednesday. So much for patience.
Also, can the Rec 709 be purchased from somewhere? I don't have a bluray burner and I'm not real great at burning dvds on my Mac. Thanks for everyone's posts on this projector. Can't wait til Wednesday!
post #113 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

Is anyone besides me having an issue with the Frame Interpolation causing the image to be jerky? I like the way it looks when set on Low or Medium when watching TV, but instead of making the video smoother, it is more jerky. I switch it off for movies.

I also have bad lip sync issues when watching 1080p/24 blu-ray using a PS3. I have switched it off until I can figure out what is going on.

I have directv and the PS3 going thru a Onkyo 809 then video is output from the 809 to a DVDO Duo. From the Duo I am using both HDMI outs, one to the Epson 5020 and one to a Panny plasma. d

I like to use the Duo for the CMS features, but I am wondering if it is my problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I also have the issue with frame interpolation. The picture is jerky, skips, choppy, whatever word you want to use, but it's not right. Doesn't matter if it's on low, medium or high, still the same problem. It is probably worse when set to 'high'. In my setup it's basicall unusable and I have to leave it set to 'off'!

Were you able to fix your issue? If so, can you tell me how? If not, does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it??

Thanks in advance for the help!!
post #114 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinkc View Post

I just bought a 5020UB, waiting for the carpeting to be done start putting in the equipment. What mounts are you using? Planning a ceiling mount.

Thanks!

i'll be using this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
post #115 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Yea, peerless is one of the best ones I've seen. Bought it and have been using it after all the positive feedback. Plus I love the fact that its all metal. No plastic. Dont need my almost 3k dollar investment falling
post #116 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Finally got my OPPO 103 and new HDMI Red Mere cable hooked up (it's a major pain for me to move my EQ rack in my rather tight "projection booth" room in the back of my theatre).
3D HDMI handshake issue SOLVED. Whether it was a firmware issue, or the cable, it sees the 3D signal right away.

Very happy now.

S A M 33
post #117 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I FINALLY got my powered grey-screen set up and MAN what a difference between this screen (from cirrusscreens) and the accuscreen (white) that I was using.
The colours are so much better (even though whites took a small hit as the screen is 0.85 gain). Things are so so so much better! The screen makes a monumental
difference with this projector. Now I gotta put my white screen for sale on Kijiji (Canada). The difference of 106 vs 120 inch screen helps too. smile.gif The trigger feature
to make the screen go up/down with the projector is so amazing too.

And, yes, this is my first experience so excuse my excitement a bit. I love my Pioneer Kuro 141FD Plasma (60 inch) to death, but MAN, it's got competition for my
movietime with the projector. WOW!
post #118 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 PM

Hello All,

Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to calibrating the 5020UB?? Does a step-by-step testing and calibrating guide exist??I have about 100 hours on the bulb and have not performed any calibration, just switched to 'Living Room' mode when it was new and have not touched it since.It looks pretty good as is so I'm very curious how much better the picture quality will be if I did some sort of calibration???

I have read that some people use a calibration disc (Disney WOW, etc.) and some use recommended settings found in this forum or on projectorreviews.com. Which is best, and what is the difference between the two calibration methods??

Thanks in advance to all!!!
post #119 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

lgreis, try adjusting the panel alignment using only increments of 10, and keep all 4 corners set the same. This will avoid sub-pixel or fractional alignment, which is not really alignment at all (faked using color tricks in neighboring pixels). You may be able to get your alignment to within 1/2 pixel across the screen with no color artifacts. I started off with extremely poor convergence and was able to dial it in to near perfect using +/-10 corrections, and am extremely happy with convergence now.

I wrote up a procedure here. I strongly suggest you don't use the built-in patterns to assess convergence; see the procedure.
We have to do only the 4 corners? What about the center? If we do only the convergence of the corners, the center remains misconverted right? Tomorrow i will try that.
What do you think of the sharpness of the picture, is better with the lcd panels aligh ON or OFF after the alignment?
post #120 of 1307 Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 191
just got mine and installed it....loving it so far.

i got this shelf from amazon for about 35 bucks. i figured id post up a few pics incase it helps anyone looking for a mounting option on the back wall of their ht room.

it's made by omni mount ( search for omni mount glass shelf and it will come right up )

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page