Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 42 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Tron View Post

Has anybody had issues with flickering brightness on their 5020UB? Lately I have been noticing the brightness of my image sort of flicker or fluctuate. I especially notice it on light colored or uniform colored scenes. I also see it on the blue test pattern with no input. It is not a constant and consistent brightness. I never use the iris and it's off. I also did try restoring factory defaults. It does it even after being on for a couple hours. The projector is about 1 year and 2 months old. The lamp time is 1372 hours. Its hard to describe the issue but it is present all the time now. Could my lamp be failing already?

An unstable arc in the lamp -- which is more likely the source of your problem -- can sometimes be rectified by simply running your projector in its "high power" mode for about two hours. This is assuming, of course, that you normally utilize the lower mode in order to conserve bulb life.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know if the refurbished units will be back in stock somewhere?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone using the Epson Light Power glass filter and happy with it.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It calibrates very well the dinamic mode, i dont need mine anymore i can now calibrate with an external processor. If anyone is interested just pm me
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post

It calibrates very well the dinamic mode, i dont need mine anymore i can now calibrate with an external processor. If anyone is interested just pm me

I hadn't heard of this before.

I see that it is intended to color correct dynamic mode to help get more color correct lumens.

That really doesn't do much for me as I am pretty happy with cinema mode in eco.

But it does interest me for using with 3d dynamic. Has anyone tried that?

And if that is the main reason for using it how does the filter effect using the cinema and thx color modes for 2d?

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM

It only calibrate the colors in dinamic mode, 1600 color correct lumens, perfect for 3D! It does nothing in cinema or thx
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Epson_TW9000/TW9000_Test.htm
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:

It only calibrate the colors in dinamic mode, 1600 color correct lumens, perfect for 3D! It does nothing in cinema or thx
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Epson_TW9000/TW9000_Test.htm

It's ok if it doesn't do anything for cinema. But I don't want to run in dynamic for 2d as for night viewing that put out too many lumens and washes out black level on my setup.

It won't negatively effect the other color modes in 2d?

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM

You only have to put the lens in dinamic mode, when you use the other you have to take it off
Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:

You only have to put the lens in dinamic mode, when you use the other you have to take it off

Thanks for the info. Something to consider. Although from checking the main thread on it they seem hard to find if I decide I am interested.

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Hi, i never thought that many people was very interested on the filter, tomorrow i will put it on the ebay and leave the link on avs. Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
So, I recently purchased a 5020ube from Visual Apex and now I have to focus on the screen. I would love to have opinions from others with regard to this projector and screen gain.

Due to room limitations, I have the following I need to follow:

1) 90" motorized screen is max size.

2) Seating distance will be 9.5 ft.

3) Throw distance will be 10' 2-5" (depending on mount).

4) May be able to shelf or wall mount....will depend once I obtain PJ.

5) Lens shift will be used (vertical). PJ will be 16" above top of screen (again, room limitations).

Actual screen manufacturers will also be dictated by the room limitations...that is, in order to obtain a 90" screen, there is only a couple of manufacturers that make a motorized screen where the total screen height will be less than 53" (including casing, borders, bottom bar, etc.).

I can go with a smaller screen, but would like to max. my area as much as possible.

So...

What gain do you think?

I have dark ceiling/ tan walls / heavy drapes over windows (90% of viewing will be at night). 90% of PJ time will be with Blu-rays. 10% will be NFL.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^^

I don't see any issues with your room for this PJ. I would suggest you go with as big a screen as you can fit in there so that looks to be 90" and you shouldn't have any issues with throw distance or seating with that setup and your room. Keep in mind that while the screen itself measures 90", the casing will be larger so if you have fixed walls on either side, you will need to go to the screen manufacturer's website and find the overall width of the casing because that will be the limiting width factor (if you have objects on either side of the screen).
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Thank you for the reply. My room issue is that I have a vaulted ceiling that comes down quite low where the screen will hang, so the limiting factor becomes the screen height. Side walls will actually be about 5ft from the screen. Do you think I should stick with a 1.0 gain screen....or even 0.8 gain? 3D will be something we may play with, but I don't want the whites to clip or blacks to wash out due to too much brightness during 2D viewing.

I'm pretty excited about this. The room is mainly a music listening room, but the addition of video will definitely be a plus.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Unless you plan to watch a lot of 3D, a 1.0 gain would be fine. This PJ puts out a lot of light so unlike a lot of other projectors, you won't need the screen's help. I have a 1.0 gain screen and it is just fine for most of my viewing - I have no want or need for anything different.. Having said that, if I did watch a lot of 3D, I probably would want some more gain but this then becomes a trade-off as you noted. I would have to watch A LOT of 3D (8+ hours per week) for me to even consider a higher gain screen.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Benson View Post

Thanks for the info. Something to consider. Although from checking the main thread on it they seem hard to find if I decide I am interested.

Already put the filter on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171278495354
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Received my 5020 as a replacement for my 8700UB. It didn't come with glasses though. Are the Epson glasses the way to go or will other glasses work with this projector. I'm curious to see how the 3D works and if I'll like it.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

Received my 5020 as a replacement for my 8700UB. It didn't come with glasses though. Are the Epson glasses the way to go or will other glasses work with this projector. I'm curious to see how the 3D works and if I'll like it.

I have the Epson glasses and 1 pair of Panasonic RF glasses.

I picked up the Panasonic because I wanted to try a different glass brand and I found a couple references to the Panasonic RF glasses being highly regarded.

I found no difference 3d quality wise.

I find the Epson's slightly more comfortable.

Not sure if they are worth the 100 dollar price tag though.

I understand that Samsung RF glasses can be had for around 20 dollars a pair. Though they are not rechargeable and are bit more flimsy in their construction.

I think the Panasonic can be found for around 60-70. They are just as good as the Epson though I personally find the Epson's plastic to feel more comfortable on my face.

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

An unstable arc in the lamp -- which is more likely the source of your problem -- can sometimes be rectified by simply running your projector in its "high power" mode for about two hours. This is assuming, of course, that you normally utilize the lower mode in order to conserve bulb life.

I ran the lamp in normal mode for a couple hours. It didn't seem to help. I then ran it in normal mode for a few hours each day over 3 or 4 days and now when I go back to eco mode, it looks good. I have not noticed any fluctuating brightness again yet.
What causes this to happen and should I be worried it might come back?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Tron View Post

I ran the lamp in normal mode for a couple hours. It didn't seem to help. I then ran it in normal mode for a few hours each day over 3 or 4 days and now when I go back to eco mode, it looks good. I have not noticed any fluctuating brightness again yet.
What causes this to happen and should I be worried it might come back?

If you Google unstable arc lamps you will run across many articles. Here is one that explains the problem in graphic form although not specifically about projector lamps.

http://zeiss.magnet.fsu.edu/tutorials/arclampinstability/indexflash.html

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have three pair of the Epson glasses and 4 of the Samsung glasses. The Samsungs are flimsier and have a slightly smaller glass area, but they work fine. I prefer the battery operation over recharging. I'm not a fan of most companies switching to rechargeable. I'd rather not have to worry about whether the glasses are charged or not, just swap out the battery when they start to act up.
old corps likes this.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

I have three pair of the Epson glasses and 4 of the Samsung glasses. The Samsungs are flimsier and have a slightly smaller glass area, but they work fine. I prefer the battery operation over recharging. I'm not a fan of most companies switching to rechargeable. I'd rather not have to worry about whether the glasses are charged or not, just swap out the battery when they start to act up.
Blimey it takes literally a few minutes to put enough charge in my Panasonic glasses to last a full movie and it's never really took any longer than half hour to put a full charge in to them.
Much prefer to just plug in and charge rather than worry about batteries going dead and always having to have a spare.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

Blimey it takes literally a few minutes to put enough charge in my Panasonic glasses to last a full movie and it's never really took any longer than half hour to put a full charge in to them.
Much prefer to just plug in and charge rather than worry about batteries going dead and always having to have a spare.

I have a package of batteries on the shelf which take 1 minute to exchange, for another 40-50 hours of use. But to each his own. Since there are more rechargable than battery-operated these days, I guess you're in the majority.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Already put the filter on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171278495354

Total newb to projectors. What does this filter do? If its something I want, will it fit my 5030?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finally made a video on my Home Theater. I did not know where to post this so I thought this thread would be the correct one. I do speak about the Epson 5020UB and the Denon X4000 in the video too. I'm not a videographer but I hope this contributes something. Since I've learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks,
Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64aJbFXNooM
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post

I finally made a video on my Home Theater. I did not know where to post this so I thought this thread would be the correct one. I do speak about the Epson 5020UB and the Denon X4000 in the video too. I'm not a videographer but I hope this contributes something. Since I've learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks,
Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64aJbFXNooM

Very nice Scott! Super nice theater & enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting the link!cool.gif

Ed
Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman916 View Post

Total newb to projectors. What does this filter do? If its something I want, will it fit my 5030?
The filter calibrate the colors in dinamic mode, it means that you can have a very acurate image with the best native and dinamic contrast ratio. In your case, the 5030UB (tw9200 EU model) in cinema mode you have 550 lumens in eco with 7500:1 native and 40000:1 dinamic contrast ratio. In dinamic mode with the filter you have 1300 lumens in eco lamp mode with 8000:1 native and 50000:1 dinamic contrast ratio!! Now i dont know if my filter can be used in 5030ub, IT CAN with 5010/5020/6010/6020. The filter seems about the same, but the 5030 is a new model and epson make a new filter for the tw9200, what seems hod is that the new filter is backwards compatible, so it logic that the filter for 5020 also can be used in the 5030 (the lamp is the same) but i am not sure!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
IMO the filter is just a gimmick and not at all needed for most setups, even though I havent seen one in real life.
The PJ puts out plenty enough light and excellent contrast in eco mode for pretty much most setups. It will do nothing beneficial for 3d viewing and I certainly wouldn't want the lamp and fan going at full pelt all the time.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

IMO the filter is just a gimmick and not at all needed for most setups, even though I havent seen one in real life.
The PJ puts out plenty enough light and excellent contrast in eco mode for pretty much most setups. It will do nothing beneficial for 3d viewing and I certainly wouldn't want the lamp and fan going at full pelt all the time.
´
When we say something about anyting we must know what we are talking about, if we know and understand how a projector works we know that what cuts the lumens in cinema/natural/thx mode is the internal cinema filter that the dinamic mode doesnt have and use. The lamp is an E-TORL™ 230 W and have a max power of 2300 lumens in normal/high mode and 1750 lumens in eco lamp mode in dinamic mode with no using of the internal filter, when we put the cinema/thx/natural mode, the projector activates the internal cinema filter an simply cuts 60% of the lamp light. The external filter only cuts about 30% of the light, thats why the dinamic with filter have about 1200 lumens in ECO mode. Who likes a very bright picture or have a very large screen with less gain (more that 120` and less than 1.0 gain), like a lot 3d viewing, or want about 30% more hours of lamp life!!! the dinamic with external filter its excelent! But if we want perfection and we have a very large screen we can always buy an external video processor, like lumagen, and calibrate perfectly the dinamic mode and have the best native contrast ratio and 1750 lumens in ECO lamp mode with the same 4000/5000 hours of lamp life!!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

´
When we say something about anyting we must know what we are talking about

Pardon me? wink.gif

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Pardon me? wink.gif
Sorry, it wasnt my intention to be rude...
Cheers

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com