Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1313 Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
When trying the panel alignment, make sure you only use whole pixel shifts of the entire panel (that should avoid introducing any extra artifacts). To get a whole pixel shift make sure you only move the corners, and move all 4 corners of a given panel by the same amount which is a multiple of 8 steps (8 steps equals 1 pixel IIRC).
This pixel shifting in 8 steps makes no difference in the real world. In fact in my tests it can make the image look worse. I have spent many many hours on this testing this out and comparing. Also how can you light up an 1/8th of a pixel? A pixel is either on or off.
If we are referring to a matrix block of pixels of 8x8 then fine, but that is not one pixel.
To me the problem looks more like an out of line lens system. I've seen it before with lenses that have been incorrectly columised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1313 Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 154
His case might be an optical problem, but the general advice about panel alignment still holds. Moving 1/8 pixel (1 step) will cause resampling and you'll get double-pixel wide lines. The cure can be worse than the disease, so I would stick to whole pixel shifts (8 steps). But you have to make the same shift on all four corners otherwise you're still resampling, so don't judge the result until all four corners have been moved.

I've played with the alignment on my 5030 (same system as the 5020) and it's clear that doing a global shift of one colour by a whole pixel doesn't cause any extra artifacts.
post #1293 of 1313 Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions regarding my possible alignment issue. After talking with a tech at Visual Apex as well as one at Epson, I'm just getting a replacement projector sent to me. Crossing my fingers that this one is better.
post #1294 of 1313 Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM
DTI

Liked: 11
try this in the LCD alignment on the remote press the RGBCMY and turn the green right down, all 3 Hue Saturation & Brightness now on the alignment select color red first and then on the pattern color R/G now that the green is not so bright you can really see how much to move the red and do the blue with B/G don't forget to default the green back see if this helps
post #1295 of 1313 Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkriengsiri View Post
Thanks for the suggestions regarding my possible alignment issue. After talking with a tech at Visual Apex as well as one at Epson, I'm just getting a replacement projector sent to me. Crossing my fingers that this one is better.

Got my replacement projector from Epson today and... WOW what a difference! New one is as sharp as a tack. Blue alignment was a little off out of the box, but that was easily fixed via tips others have provided in this thread.

One other thing I noticed with the defective unit was that there was a very faint dimming that would occur occasionally. The brightness seemed to dim ever so slightly (for a fraction of a second) and the color balance would go a little out of whack as well. No such problems that I can tell with the new one.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. Very happy 5020UBE owner here!
post #1296 of 1313 Old 07-18-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New 5020UB r , Convergence & Focus

Hey guys,
I think this may be my first post but I think it is important to help other news owners with set up and or help others in jumping in on a refurb unit or even the 5030

I had spent time centering & focusing my projector and still felt it was out of focus in some areas more then others.
So I spent some time aligning the LCDs via the control panel and was getting a better picture, but still felt it was not tack sharp and was seriously considering sening it back or trading it out.
The problem I was noticing during convergence was, the 3 corners looked fuzzy and not as sharp as the 4th.
In thinking about it I though well maybe the lens is just not perfect or LCDs are not on plane and this is something I may have to live with, but then thinking a little more I decided to adjust, ****, and or turn the unit just a little to try to bring those corners into focus. Well that was it!! It turns out just a hair of adjustment to the whole unit and that put the whole picture in focus and aligning the LCDs if needed is then an easy process too!

Now the picture looks great in all aspects and the buyers remorse gone.

I guess what it comes down to is the face of the screen and the face of the projector need to be on the same "plane" because the focal focus range is so precise. from there lens shift should not make a difference.

On another note, there is some fan noise but I don't find it unacceptable or bothersome. When watching a movie you are unlikely to notice. I have been sitting right next to it for testing and it's just fine. It can run warm though so in a small room with no A/C or venting it may warm up the room.
post #1297 of 1313 Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I watched Snowpiercer via AppleTV this weekend on the 5020 projected onto 120". Was damn impressed at how well it held up, I'd say 90% of the way there to Blu quality and guests viewing it wouldn't have known it was a stream unless told. First time I had ever used the ATV for a new film, thumbs up and of course the 5020 was the workhorse here, love it!

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #1298 of 1313 Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just was checking out the 5020s 3D function via avatar 3D and I have to say wow. What a way to watch a movie.
I did not think I would care about the 3d function nor was looking forward to it. The 3d movies I have seen in the past in theaters were not that great, but after watching this level of 3D, I have to say it is really impressive and really adds so much to the experience and depth. So much so, it would be hard to watch the same movie in 2D. From the looks of this level of tech I would say 3D is not a fad but is here to stay and will become the norm years down the pipeline as the tech improves even more.
old corps likes this.
post #1299 of 1313 Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hey guys. I posted this in the 5030 forums but though I could also get some help from this thread as well.

I've been wondering for some time now if my Epson 5030 projector would benefit from doing a panel alignment. I've attached a couple pics to get some opinions. Also, I've went back and read the steps posted on how to perform a panel alignment and it doesn't really make sense. Can someone explain exactly how that works? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1300 of 1313 Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 PM

Liked: 13
Your pre-alignment images look better than my post-alignment.
I would be very happy with that natural alignment if i were you and wouldn't mess with it.
(None of your colours are off enough for alignment to benefit you IMO)
post #1301 of 1313 Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi Guys I am thinking about getting a 5020 bstock from Projector People. My Yamaha receiver is non 3d but is a great receiver. I am keeping it since it cost $1500. I have a BR player that supports 3d. How do you all hook up 3d to your 5020 when you cant use your receiver to pass the HDMI though. Thanks
post #1302 of 1313 Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Hi Guys I am thinking about getting a 5020 bstock from Projector People. My Yamaha receiver is non 3d but is a great receiver. I am keeping it since it cost $1500. I have a BR player that supports 3d. How do you all hook up 3d to your 5020 when you cant use your receiver to pass the HDMI though. Thanks
Assuming your Yamaha receiver is HDMI capable you will need an amplified splitter or mirroring. The HDMI output from the Blu-ray player goes to the splitter which then sends one HDMI signal to the projector and the other HDMI cable into the receiver for sound. The splitter should be 3D capable and HDCP compliant. You will find these products at Monoprice or Sewell.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1303 of 1313 Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigly View Post
Your pre-alignment images look better than my post-alignment.
I would be very happy with that natural alignment if i were you and wouldn't mess with it.
(None of your colours are off enough for alignment to benefit you IMO)
Really?? I'm kind of shocked to hear you say that because you can clearly see the blue and green lines covering most of the white line. Ideally, what is it supposed to look like?

post #1304 of 1313 Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Assuming your Yamaha receiver is HDMI capable you will need an amplified splitter or mirroring. The HDMI output from the Blu-ray player goes to the splitter which then sends one HDMI signal to the projector and the other HDMI cable into the receiver for sound. The splitter should be 3D capable and HDCP compliant. You will find these products at Monoprice or Sewell.

Thanks Mrg' I found the Panasonic BDT 460 player has dual HDMI outputs. I need a 3d BD player anyway since my other one is not 3d. So I kill two birds with one stone. Plus the 460 gets great reviews. Thanks
post #1305 of 1313 Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM
DTI

Curios on your guys take would you be happy receiving this as a replacement and if it needed
panel alignment adjustments right away.. did you need to adjust panels soon as you got yours here some pics including letter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epson 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	225937   Click image for larger version

Name:	epson 3 (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	225945   Click image for larger version

Name:	epson 3 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	225953  

Last edited by DTI; 08-23-2014 at 02:00 PM.
post #1306 of 1313 Old 08-23-2014, 02:23 PM
DTI

Is this quality with the panels plus the focus its not as good.

with this unit that I just got notice when you do the panel alignment and you turn on

Frame Interpolation it throws the alignment out especially the red ,on my old unit it stays the same

Last edited by DTI; 08-23-2014 at 08:25 PM.
post #1307 of 1313 Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
Curios on your guys take would you be happy receiving this as a replacement and if it needed
panel alignment adjustments right away.. did you need to adjust panels soon as you got yours here some pics including letter
I had to adjust mine from new.
I can see from your pics that the green panel is 2 pixels to the left of the red and blue.

If I were you I would apply an EQUAL -16 adjustment to the left parameter for ALL four corners for BOTH the blue and red panels.
Then I would assess it again.

I have a 2 panel 2 pixel adjustment on mine and it holds fine with FI switched on.

BTW, 2 rows of pixels out of alignment is out of Epsons tolerance parameters so you shouldn't have any argument if you decide to reject it.
(But after alignment I'm happy with mine for now.)
post #1308 of 1313 Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Sorry, I dont mean to double post, but looks like I posted in the wrong thread. My 5020 projector has been working just fine since I have had it. That's said just recently when the projector starts up I will see some of the picture and a bunch of clicking sounds. The sounds are in rapid succession for like a second. I check and I have auto iris turned off at the moment. Any thoughts? Device isn't even a year old. If it is a warranty claim do they send you a new or used device? I only have 393 lamp hours.

Theater Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1309 of 1313 Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
DTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post
Sorry, I dont mean to double post, but looks like I posted in the wrong thread. My 5020 projector has been working just fine since I have had it. That's said just recently when the projector starts up I will see some of the picture and a bunch of clicking sounds. The sounds are in rapid succession for like a second. I check and I have auto iris turned off at the moment. Any thoughts? Device isn't even a year old. If it is a warranty claim do they send you a new or used device? I only have 393 lamp hours.

Not to sure on what is making the clicking noise
but when you send yours in for repair you get someone else repaired project or so called repaired projector in which can be in a lot worse shape than the one you send in,
although comes with a new light bulb and hours of operation cleared because you sure wouldn't be happy sending yours in with 700hrs of operation and receiving one with 1800hrs on it with my experience in replacement its not good the first two that they sent boxes had some bad dents the boxes could have been dropped give Epson that.. but the last one what was checked by quality control box was perfect & projector had big problems. so if you got a good projector as in focus panel alignment picture is perfect
I would ask Epson if they could repair yours an send yours back instead of playing the hit and miss game.

Last edited by DTI; 09-01-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #1310 of 1313 Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Well i called epson after writing them an email. They suggested the clicking noise is a hardware failure - dont know if it is auto iris exactly. I have basically two choices, have them send me a refurbished unit or send my in for repair. I guess the third option is to drive the unit to a repair facility nearby. Im debating on why a product with under 400 lamp hours requires work in the first place. I dont know if i should be getting the refurbished or hope to get my unit fixed. I dont want to open a can of worms on what kind of of replacement product i might get. Does anyone have any feedback? Interesting the guy on the phone at epson can't give me an estimated time of life the product itself should work for. He sounded hopefully optimistic that it should work for 5 years. I should hope this thing works for that long, if not, i will never buy epson again.

Theater Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1311 of 1313 Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Personally I think I would just get a repair on my own PJ rather than a refurb but that's just me... each to his own :-) I would also say no one can guarantee how long a device like this will last without any breakdowns, that why we have warranties. From what I read there isn't a major issue with build of these PJ's, I haven't had any issues with mine and my friend has one for about the same time and hasn't had any issues. Nothing is perfect and yes I know there has been the alignment of the panels and Epson swapping out a number of units where customers are not 100% happy, but the fact they are willing to do that is good customer service as well....
post #1312 of 1313 Old 09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
DTI

I have to agree Epson customer care is top notch probably the best
but its the quality control that lacks that is why some of us are getting not
fully repaired units
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page