Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1381 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Jason View Post
it happens with all sources (directv, bluray etc) BUT now if i turn it completely off and on again the line disappears. The problem is that I have to do this every time. I'm going to call the authorized repair shop on Monday to see what they suggest. Since it's the refurbished unit that i got, maybe it needs to be swapped out for another one.
I was trying to think if a HDMI cable could cause that
but I highly doubt it. A green line seems like a display,
or in this case, a projector problem.

That fact that TWO units do it for you sounds suspicious.

Are there any POWER problems in your location?

Is anyone running some NOISY electrical devices?

My projector is 100% Isolated from the power grid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
first unit issue was different (post 1374).
post #1383 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM
DTI

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Jason View Post
it happens with all sources (directv, bluray etc) BUT now if i turn it completely off and on again the line disappears. The problem is that I have to do this every time. I'm going to call the authorized repair shop on Monday to see what they suggest. Since it's the refurbished unit that i got, maybe it needs to be swapped out for another one.

Sorry I didn't know you had a hard time reading normal size text brett
man some of the units they sent me I would hook it up and be like WTF why would they
send me this sh it its a real hit and miss with the refurbished ones, maybe third time lucky
that's a big maybe

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4072/C9XDR7.jpg
post #1384 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM
DTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I was trying to think if a HDMI cable could cause that
but I highly doubt it. A green line seems like a display,
or in this case, a projector problem.

That fact that TWO units do it for you sounds suspicious.

Are there any POWER problems in your location?

Is anyone running some NOISY electrical devices?

My projector is 100% Isolated from the power grid.
drhankz how are you or what are you using to keep your projector 100% from the grid

Thanks

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4072/C9XDR7.jpg
post #1385 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
drhankz how are you or what are you using to keep your projector 100% from the grid

Thanks
CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS 1500VA 900W AVR Mini-Tower
post #1386 of 1389 Old 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
DTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS 1500VA 900W AVR Mini-Tower

run the same one with my projector , peace of mind for a few dollars

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro...500AVRLCD.html

post #1387 of 1389 Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dead 5020

Just an FYI for folks - my 5020 died a few weeks ago. Two blinky red lights on startup. Out of warranty by 3-4 months or so, only 1100 hours on it. Epson was less than helpful - "Take it to a service center, sorry about your luck....you can buy a really crappy projector for $50 off from our outlet store...." As I went with the Epson over the Panny 8000 originally because of the horror stories about Panny support, I'm a bit disappointed.

Initial diagnosis is a bad main board - which I can replace for only $911....ouch.

While I somewhat expect these things to be disposable to a certain extent, I was hoping for a wee bit more service than 1100 hours before failure. I understand it is out of warranty, but still pretty disappointed I've got a nice looking boat anchor.

As for a repair, I think I'll take my $911 and buy something else. It was a great projector while it worked...

Please check out my FlyingCheese Theater build thread. I need followers to answer my questions!!
post #1388 of 1389 Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'd be taking a look at the cinema filter. Known for failure and commonly causes this fault. Its diy fixable. I posted a guide for the repair I did for my 5010 when I had the same problem.
Sometimes simply reflashing the firmware gets it up and running again.

Last edited by ashyt16; 06-08-2015 at 10:08 PM.
post #1389 of 1389 Old 06-09-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
I'd be taking a look at the cinema filter. Known for failure and commonly causes this fault. Its diy fixable. I posted a guide for the repair I did for my 5010 when I had the same problem.
Sometimes simply reflashing the firmware gets it up and running again.
Thanks, if the $900 estimate holds true, I'll give that a shot before picking something else up. I didn't hear any noise whatsoever, though it is possible I'm just not hearing it...

Is there any logic to the number of times the power light flashes that could indicate an error? A quick Google search didn't turn anything up....

Please check out my FlyingCheese Theater build thread. I need followers to answer my questions!!
post #1390 of 1389 Unread Today, 09:23 AM

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, and don't really post as much as I would like.

For the last month of so, I ended up getting the grinding noise on Start up from my 5020UB projector. While the unit still turns on, for now, its grinding more and more when the unit powers on. With College football season around the corner, its time to take action.

I found this thread, and not sure I wanted to go down the path of installing the metal spindle into the projector.

Instead, I decided to get a whole new motor from an EPSON supply company. Specifically Compass Micro. The part number is: 145266 "Motor CF Assy" - $ 31.32 plus 5 dollars shipping.

It is a special order part, but they have many in stock.

I just wanted a "plug and play" method of fixing this issue. I'm sure this new part will eventually have some of the problems that the original motor has, by then I'm sure it will be time for an upgrade anyway. Since the other motor is already around 15 bucks plus shipping, it seemed like a no brainer just to put in a new OEM motor. I will be using some high temp grease on the spindles before installing the new part into the projector. Also give it a good cleaning while I'm in there.

I love the 5020ub, and I was fearing the worst. Thank you to the OP of this thread for all the info. I'm hoping I can help others by providing this info if they want to go down the same route I did with my repair.

Thank you.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com