Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1309 Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently have a Epson 8500UB on a 100" Saaria Grey Screen (not the best quality screen, I know)... thinking about upgrading to the 5020UB... and wondering if the improvement would be worth it for the cost.

Have the projector about 16' back now in a room with controlled ambient lighting for the most part. Should I update my screen in the process to something a little higher quality as well? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1309 Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Anyone ever notice a flickering on their 5020? Ive had mine since the end of october and its been great but recently Ive noticed a flickering going on. This occurs on normal 1080p even with the auto-iris turned off. Its more noticable on a white background but I think it occurs in all scenarios, though it seems to come and go but is happening more often recently

-edit

Im starting to learn towards it being the pioneer and not the 5020. I tried doing a firmware update on it but it said it was up to date however I didnt notice the flicker in the pioneers menu, though it is pretty dark so harder to tell. After power cycling it the flicker seemed to be reduced a bit and then changed devices and it seemed to go away so far where as last night it persisted across devices
post #183 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 AM

I'd try looking at the pJ test patterns/menu, does it still flicker then? that would indicate it is the pj, if it does not, it would indicate the source/cable etc. I have not experienced this problem.

Are you running in eco or normal lamp mode, does the issue appear in both or only one?

Sometimes connecting a PC/laptop via the hdmi is one of the easiest ways to see issues. Using a static image you can determine if it is the source or not, if not it will be the cables/AVR/PJ. If you don't see it on the PJ menus it will be the AVR/cables. Take the AVR out of the line, and if it is still there it will most likely be due to a cable/poor connection.... cable/poor connection issues can often show up as small amounts of coloured speckles (obviously not film grain) or red/green/blue tinted images. If the signal is dropped completely there will be a lag while the pj attempts to handshake again.
post #184 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion View Post

I have a GTX 680. I've tried swapping cables and that didn't do the trick so I would think it's down to some miscommunication between the GPU/AVR and the projector. I wondered if the 3D functionality of the Epson was screwing with things so disabled everything related to 3D on both the Epson and PC with no change, still seeing the same issues.

EDIT: And my path is GPU -> AVR -> PJ, nothing else in between. I'm thinking about picking up one of those HDMI Doctors I saw earlier in the thread to see if that would be a quick fix.

Quick update, got a Dr. HDMI unit and unfortunately it didn't fix the issue at all. I've been unable to figure out exactly why it's happening, but it is very annoying when it does. Very odd because the PJ never loses signal when watching movies/TV, just with web browsing and occasionally folder browsing. I've reseated the GPU, swapped cables, tried various settings on both my AVR and PJ to no avail. Oh well, at least it doesn't occur during media playback but it sure would be nice to eliminate the problem.
post #185 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refriedbeans View Post

I'd try looking at the pJ test patterns/menu, does it still flicker then? that would indicate it is the pj, if it does not, it would indicate the source/cable etc. I have not experienced this problem.

Are you running in eco or normal lamp mode, does the issue appear in both or only one?

Sometimes connecting a PC/laptop via the hdmi is one of the easiest ways to see issues. Using a static image you can determine if it is the source or not, if not it will be the cables/AVR/PJ. If you don't see it on the PJ menus it will be the AVR/cables. Take the AVR out of the line, and if it is still there it will most likely be due to a cable/poor connection.... cable/poor connection issues can often show up as small amounts of coloured speckles (obviously not film grain) or red/green/blue tinted images. If the signal is dropped completely there will be a lag while the pj attempts to handshake again.

Yea i looked at the convergence pattern and didnt notice, but its also a fairly dark pattern so its hard to tell, but it wasnt noticable in the menu. I run it in eco mode normally

How i noticed it was I have a pc upstairs running downstairs through hdmi->ethernet->hdmi and when I was just browsing on it it becomes obvious due to white backgrounds. Ill have to run a few more tests and check it out but there were no speckles, ive seen those before in other setups
post #186 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM

I got my a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying the nice black levels and the 3D. But tonight when I went to turn it off I got no response from the remote, so I tried the power button on the 5020. Still no response from the projector. I thought there might be some kind of link between the pioneer receiver and the projector that allows the receiver to turn the projector on and off, so I turned off the receiver and waited a while. Then I tried the remote power off again with no results. I then tried the power button on the projector again, nothing. So I pulled the power cord and waited a few minutes. Plugged it back in and it powered up with the remote, but would not turn off with remote or direct buttons. I was wondering if anyone else have had a problem like this or if this is worthy of a warranty issue?

Epson 5020UB, Pioneer SC-1222-K, Axiom ADA-1000, Axiom MT-60's, SVS Sub
post #187 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM

It could be relying on CEC, but I dont think any product shouldnt respond to its remote. You can go into the epson's menu-settings-hdmilink and make sure hdmi link is turned off, that is what would enable another device to control it

To go back to my flicker issue. I forgot you could set the background to be blue instead of black. So when I set it to blue, changed to an unused input, I can see the flicker on the all blue screen, guess that pretty much points to it being an issue with the 5020, which really really sucks
post #188 of 1309 Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Liked: 12
Hi all!! New to AVS and just ordered my 5020 today! Very excited.

Seems some are having some connectivity/ handshake issues. My install guy is suggesting using CAT6 wiring. Has anybody else tried this? I need to run about 30ft.

I have lots of ambient light and get mixed reviews on screen color/gain. My installer calibrater says white, the screen company (Grandview 120" ) says white. Popular opinion on line and projector reviews claim grey for my level of ambient light. Big part of my decision to go with the 5020 is its brightness.

Luckily our local high end AV company had a 5020 in stock, what's delaying my install is getting a screen. At the moment I am going with white but still not to late to switch.

Has anybody used both in a rather high ambient light situation?

Looking forward to being part of this forum!!

Thanks

post #189 of 1309 Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

Seems some are having some connectivity/ handshake issues. My install guy is suggesting using CAT6 wiring. Has anybody else tried this? I need to run about 30ft.

I have lots of ambient light and get mixed reviews on screen color/gain. My installer calibrater says white, the screen company (Grandview 120" ) says white. Popular opinion on line and projector reviews claim grey for my level of ambient light. Big part of my decision to go with the 5020 is its brightness.

Luckily our local high end AV company had a 5020 in stock, what's delaying my install is getting a screen. At the moment I am going with white but still not to late to switch.

Thanks

Just Go to Monoprice dot com and order a Redmere HDMI Cable like the 9170
post #190 of 1309 Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM

I had a similar issue recently when I couldn't turn the projector off with the remote. And, one time it wouldn't turn on, but the blue light (on top of the on button) flashed meaning it got the signal from the remote. I fixed this by turning the on/off switch to off on the back of the projector. I made sure I waited at least 30 seconds before switching it back on. This was about ten days ago and has worked ever since. Since the projector is new to me, I may have hit the standby button to turn it off, or hit the standby button to turn it on which may have messed up the sequence. I also stopped using my Logitec remote for a while til I get used to the projector. The Logitec remote never was able to turn the projector on, only off anyway. I make sure that the PJ is turned on before anything else and I haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.
post #191 of 1309 Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
watched Reel Steel yesterday.WOW is all i can say.Jaw meet the floor biggrin.gif
post #192 of 1309 Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

Thanks

I've got the da lite high contrast da mat grey screen and it's awesome. The projector is very bright. PM me your email and I'll send you some pics
post #193 of 1309 Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with the frame interpolation on my 5020UB. When I have the 'Frame Interpolation turned on, the picture is jerky, skips, choppy, whatever word you want to use, but it's not right. Doesn't matter if it's on low, medium or high, still the same problem. It is probably worse when set to 'high'. This happens regardless of the source/input device i'm using. In my setup it's basically unusable and I have to leave it set to 'off'!

I have all HDMI interface, source to Denon AVR-3313ci then to pj. I do like this feature in certain situations and i'm dissapointed that it does not work correctly. Is there anyone out there that is having a similar issue with this feature? And does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it?? Could it be a HDMI cable issue? All my cables are from OSD, their premium line ver 1.4 cables. Cable from AV receiver to pj is a 20 footer.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
post #194 of 1309 Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with the frame interpolation on my 5020UB. When I have the 'Frame Interpolation turned on, the picture is jerky, skips, choppy, whatever word you want to use, but it's not right. Doesn't matter if it's on low, medium or high, still the same problem. It is probably worse when set to 'high'. This happens regardless of the source/input device i'm using. In my setup it's basically unusable and I have to leave it set to 'off'!

I have all HDMI interface, source to Denon AVR-3313ci then to pj. I do like this feature in certain situations and i'm dissapointed that it does not work correctly. Is there anyone out there that is having a similar issue with this feature? And does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it?? Could it be a HDMI cable issue? All my cables are from OSD, their premium line ver 1.4 cables. Cable from AV receiver to pj is a 20 footer.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I have this problem and it has been reported by one or two others here.
I am going from a PS3 to a Onkyo 809, then thru a DVDO duo. It was pretty bad at first for me, but has settled down to about once every 30 seconds or so when set to low. This isn't a deal breaker for me because I generally like the picture better without it, but I would like it use it for sports and the occasional tv show. Otherwise I really don't care for the video look that it produces. Low would likely be the only setting I would use.

I updated my Onkyo and Duo firmware and that seemed to help some. I suggest you see if there is a firmware update for your Denon if it is able to be updated by you.
Another approach is to run a dedicated HDMI cable to the PJ if you have a dual output BD player.
Also make sure your Denon is not processing the signal at all or is set to output 1080p/60 only. The 5020 scaling doesn't look very good to me .
I have really bad lip sync and jerky picture issues when using 1080p/24 output from my PS3, so disable that in your player as well and see what you get.

I am seriously considering stepping up to the Sony VPL-HW50ES because of some of the little things like this that bug me about the Epson 5020.
Overall, I am pretty happy with the picture from the 5020 though.

Good Luck!

Jim Ed
post #195 of 1309 Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Try connecting direct from the player to the PJ. As mentioned previously, i am pretty sure this is to do with the format of the material received by the PJ. Some sources do it, some don't (streamed does for me, switch of FI and the image is smooth, with bluray/dvds and the FI works well -set oppo93 signal output to auto or 1080/24).
Connecting direct will eliminate anything the AVR is doing.
post #196 of 1309 Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 16
I just jumped ship from Panasonic 8000 to the Epson 5020 and do like the Epson better i but... My Epson has a couple pixels stuck or burnt out(on a black screen they show green), the convergence wasn't the greatest, there is a slight pinkish hue on the right hand side and kind of more white right in the middle and the convergence lines seemed wider/out of focus on the left hand side of the screen but thinner/more in focus on the right hand side. I have a new one on the way now so hopefully I get lucky on this second one. Also with the Iris on Normal I could hear kind of a rattling or knocking sound out of the projector(kind of like a hard drive seeking but louder), when I turned the iris off the noise stopped. Is this standard noise with the iris turned on? Is it possible to get one of these where it doesn't have the pinkish hue on a white screen? The Panasonic had it too but worse. Thanks
post #197 of 1309 Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

I have this problem and it has been reported by one or two others here.
I am going from a PS3 to a Onkyo 809, then thru a DVDO duo. It was pretty bad at first for me, but has settled down to about once every 30 seconds or so when set to low. This isn't a deal breaker for me because I generally like the picture better without it, but I would like it use it for sports and the occasional tv show. Otherwise I really don't care for the video look that it produces. Low would likely be the only setting I would use.

I updated my Onkyo and Duo firmware and that seemed to help some. I suggest you see if there is a firmware update for your Denon if it is able to be updated by you.
Another approach is to run a dedicated HDMI cable to the PJ if you have a dual output BD player.
Also make sure your Denon is not processing the signal at all or is set to output 1080p/60 only. The 5020 scaling doesn't look very good to me .
I have really bad lip sync and jerky picture issues when using 1080p/24 output from my PS3, so disable that in your player as well and see what you get.

I am seriously considering stepping up to the Sony VPL-HW50ES because of some of the little things like this that bug me about the Epson 5020.
Overall, I am pretty happy with the picture from the 5020 though.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info Jim, much appreciated!

I feel as you do as far as how/when I would use the feature. In addition to the FI issue I've noticed some lip sync issues but they are few and far between. My Denon firmware is up to date so I can't do anything with that. However, I do have a dual output BD player (oppo 103) and I will try the second output as well as the other suggestions you listed.

Thanks again!!

Phil
post #198 of 1309 Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

I just jumped ship from Panasonic 8000 to the Epson 5020 and do like the Epson better i but... My Epson has a couple pixels stuck or burnt out(on a black screen they show green), the convergence wasn't the greatest, there is a slight pinkish hue on the right hand side and kind of more white right in the middle and the convergence lines seemed wider/out of focus on the left hand side of the screen but thinner/more in focus on the right hand side. I have a new one on the way now so hopefully I get lucky on this second one. Also with the Iris on Normal I could hear kind of a rattling or knocking sound out of the projector(kind of like a hard drive seeking but louder), when I turned the iris off the noise stopped. Is this standard noise with the iris turned on? Is it possible to get one of these where it doesn't have the pinkish hue on a white screen? The Panasonic had it too but worse. Thanks

exchange it
post #199 of 1309 Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refriedbeans View Post

Try connecting direct from the player to the PJ. As mentioned previously, i am pretty sure this is to do with the format of the material received by the PJ. Some sources do it, some don't (streamed does for me, switch of FI and the image is smooth, with bluray/dvds and the FI works well -set oppo93 signal output to auto or 1080/24).
Connecting direct will eliminate anything the AVR is doing.

Some good information and suggestions!! Thanks!! I will give these things a try!!
post #200 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM

I just received my 2nd projector which was a brand new one from Epson(because it is within 30 days of purchase), the convergence was better, the lines were tighter which meant the focus was better overall. Color uniformity was also better but not the greatest as it seemed kind of greenish on the edges and still kind of pinkish throughout on a white screen.

The deal breaker was there was a large green glowing blob roughly 2 inches or so in diameter on a black screen in the lower right hand side. So now there is another projector on its way. I can't complain about the service though as it is amazing, next day delivery and no problems but just frustrated with overall quality control I guess more than anything. They said it was a light engine problem.
post #201 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The number of brand new $2500 projectors that end up being exchanged is breathtaking.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #202 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

How can they make money?
post #203 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't know but it is frustrating that something with a little less problems can't be manufactured. My Panasonic 8000 showed really pink on white screens, glowed green in the corners on blacks and the convergence was bad, just didn't look good at all. Now I was hoping to get a good Epson right off the bat but no such luck. It seems like I am cursed here when it comes to getting a TV or projector that is just good all around, it doesn't need to be perfect just bearable.
post #204 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM

I am on my third 5020UB. Bought it originally at Best Buy and exchanged the first one with them. Second projector had the same issue as the first I could not get the projector to align correctly. Green panel was way off and you can’t adjust that one. I called Epson support to see if they would replace the second one with a new projector. After going round and round with them on the phone they agreed to send me a new (3rd) projector next day overnight delivery. Received a third one yesterday and this projector is much better. I was able to align the red and blue panel and get excellent convergence. My white areas are now “White” and not that pinkish hue. The black levels on this projector are outstanding and now the picture quality is what I expect from a projector at this level. I guess third time's a charm! Don’t know how they make any money with so many units being replaced. Don't give up this projector is worth it once you get a good one.
post #205 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofdraragon View Post

I am on my third 5020UB. Bought it originally at Best Buy and exchanged the first one with them. Second projector had the same issue as the first I could not get the projector to align correctly. Green panel was way off and you can’t adjust that one. I called Epson support to see if they would replace the second one with a new projector. After going round and round with them on the phone they agreed to send me a new (3rd) projector next day overnight delivery. Received a third one yesterday and this projector is much better. I was able to align the red and blue panel and get excellent convergence. My white areas are now “White” and not that pinkish hue. The black levels on this projector are outstanding and now the picture quality is what I expect from a projector at this level. I guess third time's a charm! Don’t know how they make any money with so many units being replaced. Don't give up this projector is worth it once you get a good one.
did u have to use a credit card?
post #206 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 AM

I hope third time is the charm for me too. So you think the pinkish hue has something to do with proper panel alignment then? Could very well be that it creates an off color if alignment isn't good. Good to hear that you can get a good one eventually. My first one seemed pretty fuzzy on the left side and the 2nd was much better so too bad it had to go back. Maybe it was a dust blob inside or something? Who knows but they seemed pretty quick to say to send it in once I said it had the green blob(like it has happened before). They were asking if there was major damage to the box but there really wasn't so didn't seem like shipping damage.

I had to use a credit card hold for them to send me mine from Epson.

Thanks for the information.
post #207 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Yes, they put a credit hold on my card until I send the other unit back. You have to send the uniot back to them within seven days or they will charge your credit card for the second unit. My second projector is going back on Thursday.
post #208 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM

My first two projectors had that pinkish hue to them. I couldn't get it to go away no matter what I did with the alignment or any other adjustments. This third unit adjusted with no issues. My grid lines in the alignment tool are all even and the popup windows in the setup are nice and white. I have not made any other adjustments to the projector yet so I hope to get an even better picture after calibration.
My projector is ceiling mounted 12 feet back from a 110” Vuetec Silverstar screen. This projector is very bright on this screen. My room is light controlled and this projector can easily take on some ambient light and still look great.
post #209 of 1309 Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Does anyone know if you can 'wall-mount' this projector? I've got it mounted on the ceiling at the moment and I'm having some trouble aligning the projector with the screen. I'm thinking of putting it on a shelf near the ceiling so its standing horizontal and I only have to get it perpendicular to the screen. However I'm not sure this projector is able to do so. So far I've read suggestions of people saying to do this to make aligning it easier but also warnings that you'd have to use keystone to get it to work.
post #210 of 1309 Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHunt View Post

Does anyone know if you can 'wall-mount' this projector? I've got it mounted on the ceiling at the moment and I'm having some trouble aligning the projector with the screen. I'm thinking of putting it on a shelf near the ceiling so its standing horizontal and I only have to get it perpendicular to the screen. However I'm not sure this projector is able to do so. So far I've read suggestions of people saying to do this to make aligning it easier but also warnings that you'd have to use keystone to get it to work.

Did you make sure the pj was perfectly level, front to back, and side to side? If it is, then you should only have to use the lens shift knobs to square up the image onto the screen. Is there a possibility the screen isn't level/squared? I wouldn't think there would be any issue with wall mounting, as long as you do the same re: leveling the pj. Any use of the keystone should be avoided. I remember someone mentioned that wall mounting, having the pj right side up, with no inverted image, actually had a positive effect on some blurriness of last years model?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page