viewsonic pro8200 update ...open to advise.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some opinions and advise please....
I have been researching for months and now i just want some advise....
My family room is 14ft by 23ft The height is a big advantage because its cathedral ceilings with a balcony so I am not limited to the 10 ft ceiling. so height works out.
I have to shoot the projector the short way of the room. :mad:i am unable to rotate the room and shoot it down the long way.
My couch is 13ft back ...
Room is painted rustic / fall colors,
so there is no white walls. but it does have ambient light that I can get a little under control once I add black out cloth.
At night it is really,really black...very dark...seem darker the a bat cave...

I will build a DIY SPANDEX SCREEN may have a reflective material behind it...(kind of like what Blake did with his hd33 in one of these forums)
I just need to order the spandex..I mostly got everything else.
It will be a fixed 2.35 screen.

The screen will be mostly movies 80% and 20% sports and cable...
football season its opposite..

So please help me make up my mind on the best projector for this room.

.1..1080 HD .I want the best projector for this room

2.....need to be able to do 2.35

3... about 120"-140" screen size.

4.... CLOSE TO 1500 DOLLAR BUDGET...

5.... combos welcome ( like darblet or video processor in the chain)

I am looking at
----new
view sonic pro8200
(lamp life and warranty is the main selling point here..)
may have to add a lumagen to get 2.35

used Panasonic PT AE5000U ($1200)
IF THAT GETS SOLD
THEN
ae3000u or ae20000u (BOTH AROUND $1000)

or Epson new 8350
or refurbished 8500 or 8700ub (1200 OR SO..I THINK)

Optoma hd33

Refurbish mits hc4800 (900)

I think that is all so far but if you have another projector or combo that might work please let me know.

I am really leaning to the pro8200 with a video processor.

THANKS..

and please if you have screen shot pics of any of these projectors or one you think i should get..... please post ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Liked: 11
Go check out Costco deals on pj's
post #3 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
2.35 fixed? You are going to need a PJ with remote power zoom to make the 1.78 and 1.85 movies fit the screen height. You are good with pillars on the sides of your screen?

Also: You listed DLP and LCD PJs - Have you researched the pros and cons of these two formats and made a decision as to which you prefer or at least believe will owrk best for you?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly this is my first projector purchase so I am still learning and hope I make the right move.
I do know the basic difference, like the RBE factor, and DLP has more movie like picture.
Pixels and so forth..dust issues. .. I KNOW THERE IS MORE FACTORS THAT I LISTED that I have read !!!

I seen a video on a Lumagen that took the video input that was coming in and made it 2.35 going out to the projector....
also I have a Laptop that can scale to sizes...
I think that may help...

DLP VS LCD Is kind of a hard debate because
you may have to sacrifice one thing for another...
like long bulb life and warranty and price...for a better picture or better blacks..
I guess I need help picking my poison ..(joking)

If one was in my situation with this room would you go with a hc4800 $900 or a Panasonic 4000u for $1200
or a pro8200 with a darbee and still at $1000...would that give as good of a black level?

maybe spend more and get something else that is known to be a little better...
thanks for the reply
post #5 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since it's your first PJ, maybe just KEEP IT SIMPLE!

You are doing the right thing, you are researching and posting on AVS forum room, and you are giving lots of very good info. I can tell you have been reading in this room. Way to go.

Now, since it's your first PJ, maybe get a good cheap PJ that is 1080p with long warranty and got good ratings. How do you know about black levels and all that other crap!
Why do I say this? Because there are many people in this room that have all types of experience you don't have yet.

You are in first grade in PJ's. So get your feet wet with cheap and good. Don't get a PJ that people say suck, or super cheap.

Also get something on sale, and has good return policy.

Now, in the budget range, all these PJ's are pretty close to each other. I mean maybe one will be a little better in this area and not as good in another.

At this point you don't know if you will use it that much, or if even PJ'S are your thing. Next year or 2 years from now you can buy another one. smile.gif

I would read the amazon reviews and go to forum rooms of PJ's you are interested in and read the last 3 months of posts. Are the people happy as a whole? How does the company take care of problems. Are people having problems with PJ that others say they have same problem. Now if you have long warranty, find out if people say "company fixed it and they were great". Or they sucked.

Now any PJ you get, relax, and don't like it or not like it, give it 48 hours to get used to it, try it at night and during the day, and watch different movies tv shows, and different sources, 360, pc, ps3. And find out calibration info for your PJ, and just use it as starting point. And if you have any problems with the pj you get, go to forum room of that PJ and post it.

All the pj's you listed are very popular, so you are not going for white van scam. smile.gif

Some are bothered by RBE , some not. But if you are planning on having other people watch the PJ with you, they could get headaches if you get PJ that others say has rbe problem.

Now, some PJ's are multipurpose use. Meaning you can use it in bedroom, or in living room during the day, or on porch. Others have to be in dark room ONLY. Some PJ's have internal speakers which makes it portable too, and others have no sound, and if you run HDMI into it, you will have NO SOUND and will need outside speakers.

Now, you may say you only want ceiling mount. okay. You mean, you NEVER want to go to friends house or watch in backyard, or use for work or school . Ever?

My view is, I like options. I have taken my PJ onto porch, to friends homes, used it in bedroom , and in living room with lights on and in room that is super dark.

Have fun researching, that's half the fun.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I don't really think you know what 2:35.1 really is. The movie is shot in this format. For instance, Battleship is shot in 2:4.1 and they have bars on the top and bottom. All HD projectors will display this. Some movies like Avatar is shot in 1:78.1 and no bars are on the screen at all. A movie like Immortals is shot in 1:85.1 and you can barely see the bars on the screen.

If you are looking for a new projector in this price range of $1500, but you want a Darbee, you need to looks for something in the $1200 range. I really like my Darbee. It also depends on what you what more than anything. For movies, I would look at a Panasonic AE3000 or AE4000. You can probably find a used AE3000 for $700 and its similar to the AE4000. The Epson 8500 will be really good if you can find one in your budget. Sports and gaming, I would grab a Benq W6000, which is bright. But the Benq W1070 is coming out soon and looks to be good. Also, I heard good things about the Acer H6500 which is $800. If you really want to use your $1500 budget, there are jvc RS40s for this price, it will blow all the others away with its 2D, but some have bulb issues. The revised bulbs are better but you will have to find out if it has it.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ..Great info ...
i am really leaning to the stay simple,,,,
just trying to make sure my basic foundation and starting point is right...
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I don't really think you know what 2:35.1 really is.. .

I know the basic concept.
I also know I would rather have no bars and want to have a more natural, fill in the screen look when watching movies. Also the 2.35 and 2.50 or close to it looks much better from the screens i see on this forum.
So I guess the wider look is better.
Like a 4.3 then we went to 16x9.once we saw that look..it was hard to watch a square.
I may not know how every movie is filmed by the director but I was hoping a video processor may scale it to a cinema view. or less bars as possible. I am still learning how to make this work and need ones experience in this.
Quote:

If you are looking for a new projector in this price range of $1500, but you want a Darbee, you need to looks for something in the $1200 range.
I was just using Darbee as a example. Not sure if its something to get now...Example I get a darbee and pair it with a Pro8200 and im at $1100 when I could have just spend the extra 1oo and get a 8500 ub from epson and get a wayyy better picture...
or like you say get the jvc rs40 for that price (where is that link or price,sounds interesting )

Quote:

For movies, I would look at a Panasonic AE3000 or AE4000. You can probably find a used AE3000 for $700 and its similar to the AE4000..[/quote

may lean to those pannys because I it does the cinema with out the need for a lens...but I really thank you for your post..helped me out alot..
I guess I will keep fishing for a great deal and grab something.. I have a 65 inch big screen that is still going but its time to upgrade . its the old big fat old clunky big screen.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaMilan View Post

Go check out Costco deals on pj's

I have to agree, first projector anything will blow you away. Costco has some screen projector bundles. Also don't forget http://shop.avscience.com/
post #10 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yup, don't over think it. Your jaw will drop regardless of what you get.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2.35:1 is a complex setup right off the bat. All of your football games will have bars on the sides, and many movies will as well. Even 2.35:1 movies may have subtitle issues if you don't have the right equipment to deal with it. You can't zoom 16:9 content out to 2.35:1 without chopping off heads (or in the case of football, the score/time and other graphics). If you really want to do 2.35:1, you should get a projector that automatically adjusts, like one of the Panasonics.

Personally I think you should go or a 16:9 screen as big as possible for your room and just deal with bars for 2.35:1. Then once you have some projector experience for a few years, you can decide if you want to deal with the quirks of 2.35:1. I have an 8700UB and with the good black levels, we don't even notice the bars on 2.35:1 material when all of the lights are out. 12 years ago I had a Sony LCD projector and I had to build masking because the bars were so distracting, but newer projectors have mostly solved that problem.

As someone else said, look for a cheaper solution at this point to get your feet wet. But still go 1080p if you can possibly do it (should be a slam dunk at $1500)
post #12 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Th only way to get a image with no bars with a 2:35 movie is to buy a cinema scope screen. You could do a pull down or electric screen to raise the image so the bars will not be there. Then raise it back down when the movie is in 1:78 or 1:85. This is what I do and its the best and cheapest way to not see any bars. Ill show some pics later so you can have an idea. Ill also just around for a good deal for $1500
post #13 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

post #14 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

2.35:1 is a complex setup right off the bat. All of your football games will have bars on the sides, and many movies will as well. Even 2.35:1 movies may have subtitle issues if you don't have the right equipment to deal with it. You can't zoom 16:9 content out to 2.35:1 without chopping off heads (or in the case of football, the score/time and other graphics). If you really want to do 2.35:1, you should get a projector that automatically adjusts, like one of the Panasonics.
Personally I think you should go or a 16:9 screen as big as possible for your room and just deal with bars for 2.35:1. Then once you have some projector experience for a few years, you can decide if you want to deal with the quirks of 2.35:1. I have an 8700UB and with the good black levels, we don't even notice the bars on 2.35:1 material when all of the lights are out. 12 years ago I had a Sony LCD projector and I had to build masking because the bars were so distracting, but newer projectors have mostly solved that problem.
As someone else said, look for a cheaper solution at this point to get your feet wet. But still go 1080p if you can possibly do it (should be a slam dunk at $1500)
Thanks

Here is the video I was going to try to do.
Its a link (sorry if its against forum rules not sure and I am doing it from a cell phone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7nYe-YzM

Everything goes in is scaled to 2.35 and no bars..16.9 and 4.3 is converted into 2.35 with this device.
Also I will build my screen...

here is another link
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449695/comparison-of-4-projectors-viewsonic-pro8200-vs-benq-w7000-vs-jvc-rs-45-vs-mits-hc4000

This made my mind up...I always see the pro8200 in a lot of reviews against some pretty good projectors..
It seem to do really good..may not be the best blacks but good-great in everything else...
post #15 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info and help..

I went ahead and came across a brand new 8200 in the box (say its still sealed) for $575.00 with shipping on another forum .... so that deal I jumped on..

I will add a Darbee to see if the picture improves
and start with a 16.9 screen...
I am now researching audio receiver that can do lens stretch recommended on the same forum....I do have 5.1 surround sound with a older pioneer,so the receiver needs upgraded..
I ALREADY HAVE ALL NEW SPEAKERS
2 pairs of front towers ,center and 2 sets of rear speakers and 3 subs waiting to get fired up.

MY NEXT MOVE IS TO,
Build a screen..
and enjoy

and keep fishing on a deal on a darbee or go video processor or a receiver that can do both
or receiver and darbee...
post #16 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Got the Viewsonic pro8200 yesterday, and it was in fact brand spanking new in a unopen box.
still had tape and all.
set it up on the wall that is painted 2 tone. just wanted to make sure everything worked.
made sure there was no lines or weird noise going on. no shut offs or problems other people may have had.

Hooked it up hdmi from my sony vaio and the picture was fantastic.
with no screen and the all the lights on the picture was still watchable. very watchable. even on a goldish color painted wall
we watch half of avengers, and was blown away.

now I just need to build the screen.

for 575 brand new was truly a steal. and I can honestly say it is worth the full price..

I will work on the screen and post some screen shots as soon as spandex world deliver the material.

now I need a upscaler/ 1080p converter to help my cable and other sources..
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page