Good choice first projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

Im really interested in getting my first projector. I have been researching news and reviews for about 2 months now. The projector I have my eye on at the moment is the benq w1070. I would use the projector for everything really movies both 2d and 3d, 3d gaming and sports. The reason I have chose this is because it seems to be the best for the relatively cheap price. although I would be happy for anyone else's in put.

The room I have is actually pretty small but I am hoping to project at least a 100 inch screen. The room only has 1 window but I have shutters so light is not a problem. I plan to ceiling mount the projector.
The room dimensions are 2.4m (94 inch) height. 3m (118 inches) width and 3.3m (129 inch) length. after viewing other forums and the benq website I believe I can project a 100 inch screen when sitting the projector 2.55 metres away. I guess I would just like to know if this would work ok. I want to buy ASAP just want to make sure I Haven't made any stupid mistakes!

Please let me know if there is any more info you would need. And thanks for reading and hopefully helping smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The w1070 would probably be my choice since it has 3D. Not sure about placement flexibility, but it should be in the manual.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Great to here your interested in getting a projector.Best picture big screen way to go.You should be happy with 120 inch screen at 3 mtr.I would however look at another projector that has a shorter throw distance.The Benq w1070 works best at a min throw distance of 3.5 mtrs.
you can go to this web site and do a bit of research.Have a good read lots of great stuff to learn http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm. Personally I have an Epson TW2000 it has a shorter throw distance and work well for my 3 mtr screen distance.I run 120 inch screen and its a perfect size screen.I could even live with 140 inches screen size.

I use my projector mainly for PS3 gaming and movies.The other half watches Sat TV all looks great. I would look at a LCD projector but thats me.Some people like DLP.You wont regret getting a projector I would never go back to a LCD TV.Lots of great 2D 3D projectors out these days just make sure you get good warranty for as long as you can especially on projector lamps as lamp are prone to fail.

BigTeddy
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, Bigteddy isn't the 1070 considered a short throw projector? using this site http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/ I can get a 110 inch screen at a distance of 2.80m away from the wall? this would be perfect for me if correct, any chance u could confirm this for me? sorry I'm def new with all this just want to make sure its correct before i put down my $1000!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Yes you are correct it is a short throw it will fit ceiling mounted with a 110 inch screen.Not a bad price on that projector I can see why your chasing that model.I would recommend that you go and have a look at the picture quality before you buy if you can.If your happy with the picture you wont go wrong at that price.

BigTeddy.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page