Out of touch CRT owner looking for suggestions on a budget priced digital projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been away from AVS for a long time and have no idea what's good/not so good in today's current crop of digital projectors.
To qualify my frame of reference, I've been using a Sony G70 CRT projector for 10 years, paired up with a 144" screen and I want to keep using a screen of similar size.

I want to spend as little as I can get away with, but I want a reasonably nice picture ( I'm not the home theater hobbist I used to be, so I'm not seeking perfection.)

So, can some of you give me some recommendations on a digital projector to replace my Sony G70?

Thanks

ps - I see a lot of discussion on the forum about projectors offering 3 D support. Do you have to use 3D content, or are these projectors capable of producing 3D with standard content? (probably a dumb question, but as I said I've been out of touch for a while).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
As you're writing in the "Under 3000$" section, I might suggest you the Mitsubishi HC5.
It's an LCoS projector and offers very high native contrast ratios among digital projectors (different measures roam the internet, but I would say it's no less than 15000:1 on/off contrast). Either way be prepared to wave your hand to CRT-like blacks. Higher end JVCs have a little more contrast than the HC5, but HC5 is brighter (a plus for your 144" screen). And it's very sharp according to testimonials. And it has very nice colors.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Most that are stand alone, full hd 3d projectors, will do 2d to 3d conversion, check the specifics however. 3d supported might also mean 3d ready? Those may require a computer running a nvidia type 3d signal, or some other 3d processing hardware to be required. Most 2d-3d conversion is a little lacking in "pop out" since the content wasn't filmed or processed that way. True 3d filmed content, (Avatar) will obviously look better when compared to a conversion done by the pj.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I sold my Runco 990 (Black NEC PG10) last year, that's a 9" CRT projector for those not familiar with them...

Due to not needing 3D and looking for lowest cost possible with best black levels I could find, Aaaannnd a great warranty.....

I bought a refurb Epson 8700UB for $1500. Yes, it may take a try or two to get a "perfect" one, but mine was basically perfect out of the box.

It blows the big CRT out of the water in sheer full screen lumens, and after a good calibration It was clear that digital projectors have advanced to a point
that CRT is no longer the gold standard for Home theater. I used Avatar to flip back and forth between the big CRT beast and the Epson. The difference in image
quality is a non issue, the Epson has more POP in bright scenes, and above all...... it's Quiet! Soooo Quiet..... In many ways it out-performed the CRT.
Black levels are VERY good, and I'm still using a near 3gain Silverstar 110" screen from the CRT. So it can get better yet with a normal screen.
I have no complaints.

I think, and that's only my own opinion, the Epson 8700ub is a great bargain for an EX-CRT guy. For a bit more, there are a few other great choices, hands down.
But for $1500 or less, the 8700ub is a serious contender still worth consideration. And there IS that 2 year warranty.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
With all due respect to Tinman I'd advise against an LCD projector. See and judge for yourself: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013/690#post_22567371
Remember, 5020 is a top of the line LCD projector.
LCoS projectors doesn't display such problems. They have higher pixel fill and higher contrast and provides for a better alternative for a CRT projector, in my opinion.
You should consider Mitsubishi HC5 too, Tinman wink.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Pixel fill isn't always the most important feature a person might be trying to get out of a pj, but considered depending on viewing environment/preferences. If better overall brightness/blacks, 3d performance and/or price are more important, then lcd can compete.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks#post_21585369
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013/2640#post_22758111
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I sold my Runco 990 (Black NEC PG10) last year, that's a 9" CRT projector for those not familiar with them..
Yea, I remember Runco's were the top line projector.
Based on what I've read thus far, the Epson sounds fantastic. I appreciate the suggestion. So this is an LCD projector, right?
You are happy with the blacks?

post #8 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEW View Post

Yea, I remember Runco's were the top line projector.
Based on what I've read thus far, the Epson sounds fantastic. I appreciate the suggestion. So this is an LCD projector, right?
You are happy with the blacks?

I'm very happy with the blacks! This was the PRIMARY reason I opted for the Epson. As far as pixel fill..... sorry, can't see ANY pixels at a normal viewing distance. No screendoor effect unless you stand
close to the screen. At 1920X1080 it's NOTHING like the 720 projectors were.

I did try a DLP as well, and yes, standing at the screen there is quite a difference. Sitting in my massaging recliner.... nope! smile.gif

Again, my reasons for the Epson in the order of priorities:

Black level - It's damn good! I used to run the CRT a bit higher as well to avoid loosing the fine detail at near black. The Epson is still much darker than film and only a hair brighter than I ran the CRT. But remember, I'm blasting it into a near 2.5 gain screen!! eek.gif

Image artifacts - I am sensitive to rainbows, so DLP is out. LCD and LCOS were the only contenders, with LCD winning on price.

Cost - Hey! $1500 shipped! Remember, this is an INTERIM projector until the LED or LASER tech is available. Why dump a lot of cash into something I'll replace in as little as 2 - 3 years?

Warranty - 2 years, inclusive the bulb! And no hassles like most other companies.

Features - 3D not needed.

Noise - Non issue. Most digitals are very quiet now, but the CRT was a jet engine in comparison.

As to the Mitsubishi HC5, I just didn't want to spend that much. The goal was to sell my big projector and hopefully break even on the new one. I did that. No money spent.
The NEXT projector will have to be LED or Laser. Budget on that will be far more negotiable.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i'm thinking that dlp is still a really good option for an x crt'er...provided that rainbows aren't a problem for you.

in fact...there is an infocus 777 on ebay right now...a 3 chip dlp which has a ton of lumens(and no rainbows)...it would be really nice on that screen. high contrast, very natural image...

If it were a bit cheaper, I'd be all over it!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno View Post

i'm thinking that dlp is still a really good option for an x crt'er...provided that rainbows aren't a problem for you.

in fact...there is an infocus 777 on ebay right now...a 3 chip dlp which has a ton of lumens(and no rainbows)...it would be really nice on that screen. high contrast, very natural image...

If it were a bit cheaper, I'd be all over it!

Yeah, I agree. I liked the color and image in general from DLP. When running an A/B against my CRT, the DLP was damn near identical after carefully adjusting it. That is great, IF you don't get a headache
from color wheel flicker. Mine had a 6 speed wheel, and it still bothered me too often. For those that it doesn't, DLP is probably a better choice for overall image quality.

3 chip? Well, that's a no brainer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page