Projector Setup Help / Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Looking for some recommendations or possible feedback. I'm looking to move from my current setup listed below to possibly a projector setup as I feel the need for a larger screen and based on feedback a projector is the way to go.

Current Setup and Room Info:

Pioneer PDP-6020FD
Yamaha RX-V665
1x Definitive Super Cube III
1x Definitive CLR2002
2x Definitive BP8
4x Definitive BP1.2X

- Room 14x14
- Current distance from TV 10ft
- Majority of the time the room is pretty dark, however I wasn't planning on blacking out the windows so during the day with the windows closed I'd say there's light amount of light on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being high at the most 3 for light when windows are closed during the day.
- Primary use would be for gaming and movies, 50-60% of the time I'd use it for gaming.

My concern is the room which is funky as I have to have everything in the corner because of the layout where the doors/windows are. I'm interested in a fixed screen and I'd like to possibly use some kinda hanging from ceiling mounts, tv vesa mount equivalent, or end up building something to support the screen.

Looking into screens I've found that review for screen innovations to be pretty good and was looking at possibly a black diamond model but not sure if that's the right route or even what screen size/gain to get or look at other models from them. Any feedback on this would help, do they come with the hanging wires or is this something custom from them?

Any recommendations on what projectors I should look into? Where to buy from as I hear testing them is usually the best and to find a place that does returns but I don't know of any besides Best Buy and they aren't exactly on the top of my list.

Thanks,
-X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
hmm difficult room layout for you. can you take some pics standing in front of your tv to the other wall so people can see what options you may have. I don't think corner placement for a projector screen would work as you'd waste too much space.

Also, I wouldn't use the projector to replace a tv. It should be used more to watch movies or some sporting events and not for everyday viewing. Turning the bulb on and off will decrease the life and the bulb is usually 250-400 bucks.

I would probably do a drop down screen, easier to place in that room. It seems like a fixed screen hung from the ceiling would block a door or hallway in that room.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Not really worried about the space as it'll be the way it is just with a larger screen pretty much, I've heard otherwise on uses for everyday viewing and majority of the time it would be on for at least an hour or more. The corner can easily hold a 90-110 inch screen, the tv there now is 60" with plenty of space.

Anyone else able to give any feedback?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 12
Did you measure out that corner to see how it will look? It doesn't sound like a big difference but a 120in screen is 4X the surface area of that 60in tv and a corner placement wastes a ton of space.

A 60in tv has a length of 52in, putting that in a corner means it'll make a 3ft X 3ft X 52in triangle. This works out to about 4.5 sq feet of space behind the front surface of the screen.

A 100in screen has a length of 87 in, putting that in a corner makes a 5ft X 5ft X 87in triangle. This works out to 12.5 sq feet of space wasted, I see you also have speakers, assuming they make up maybe another 1 foot on each side and you're looking at at nearly 21 sq feet of space behind that projector screen . Personally I think that will not look good which is why I'd recommend an electric dropdown screen but it's your place and your decision.

I usually favor the normal tv behind a drop down projector screen setup so you can use either one.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page