questions about the led dlp's... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
has anyone done a quantitative review of any of them?

things like greyscale and primary color points...as well as black level?

Why do all the reviews seem to dismiss these projectors as not ready for real HT use? I am really hoping they are...at least, I'm hoping they are on a smaller screen.

Also, why are the black levels not considered to be really good with these? I mean...they are using led's...can they not be turned off for absolute black or something close to it?

Is the qumi q5 the frontrunner in terms of HT use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There are decent reviews of the high-end LED DLP PJs, but most of the pubs ignore the low end pico DLP machines (LED or otherwise). People here are (rightfully) upset when a $1500 1080p PJ cannot map the pixels 1:1. Given that, the review pubs are unlikely to spend too much time quantitatively evaluating (a time-consuming process) a PJ that uses diamond shaped mirrors. I have no idea if the black levels are really good or not... I'm sure they are with a pure black signal, but if there is any (non-black) content on the screen, the LED will be lit, and all the limitations of DLP tech come into play. I'd love to see a .65" DC3 LED machine with good optics, but my guess is that is still a >$5K machine that would have trouble matching a sub $3K lamp-based PJ. Given that 4K is coming, most enthusiasts are unlikely to drop that kind of cash for the primary benefit of not having to replace lamps, thus no manufacturer has one on the market... it is certainly not a technological challenge, as it is done on pico and .95" DMDs, purely a business decision.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page