Liked: 32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPn5FLZwz_k
post #33 of 55 Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The part where he talks about the Qumi 7 is at 21:33 to 24:59 and the 2013 standard warranty scheme from Vivitek is 3 years with 1 year on bulb.
He said it will hopefully be shipped in the June July time frame.
He also said that the lens is larger over the Qumi 5.
So basically it's on the Qumi 5 platform with a internal power supply, more lumens and larger lens with real zoom.
yyy484 likes this.
post #34 of 55 Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
I wonder how about noise level of working Q7?

The price of USD999.00 for projector based on diamond pixels DLP chip of about 2 years old... I am sorry...
post #35 of 55 Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
wow the Q7 is quite large compared to the previous models. I get the internal power supply, but it better put out an honest 800 lumens for that size.

Q7.jpg

so this definitely still has the diamond shaped DMD, correct?
post #36 of 55 Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambeam View Post

I wonder how about noise level of working Q7?

The price of USD999.00 for projector based on diamond pixels DLP chip of about 2 years old... I am sorry...

the price is too high, it could be DOA if they try to get a grand at street price. $799 tops and they have a chance to sell it.
post #37 of 55 Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

They might realize it's not a real hot seller and would have to drastically discount it just to sell it.
I can see that happening in the first few weeks after it's released to sell here in the USA.
We might see some real bargins once they realize no one in their right mind won't buy it at $ 1,000.
I remember when the LGPA70G first came out with in a few weeks we saw at FRYS them selling it for $ 399.
I see the adverage price for the LGPA75U is around $ 600 to $ 700 now and Newegg just had a sale on with a promotion that set it at around $ 580.
The only advantage this projector has over the LGPA75U is that it has higher lumens if only 100 more lumens, a zoom lens, and rumored glass lens.
post #38 of 55 Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 23
The 0.45 DMD used in previous models has a 912 x 1140 micromirror array

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJo_MFjdk0w

Surely by now they've moved on to something better?
post #39 of 55 Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

I looked at that a few weeks ago and even went on the Texas Instruments websight to look more into the LightCrafter 4500 but saw that's it's most for lumens for 300 to 500 lumens aplications and in the video link you sent they say it's geared towards industral applications.
I look at on Wikapedia and did a search on diamond shaped pixels and as anyone would know that what's ever on Wikapedia with a grain of salt.
Maybe someone can come up with other information that can back up their claims and information.
What they say about the diamond shaped pixels is is that the square shaped pixels do much better in computer graphics.
The diamond pixels show a slight grainyness in native resoultion on GUI computer graphics.
They say between square and diamond pixels with movies and videos at native resoultuon there is not much or no difference at all.
What gets interesting is ? they claim, or say that the diamond pixel grid is better at compressing the 1080P signal than the square pixels.
They say that the diamond pixel grid does a better job and is more " accurate " than over the square pixel grid.
post #40 of 55 Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Haven't seen any new news about the Vivitek Qumi 7 or it's release for sale here in the USA.
post #41 of 55 Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

It could be the Pixelworks’ PWC858DLP chip ? maybe ?
It's 1280 x 800 but don't know if it's a new type or the dreaded diamond shaped pixels.
I'm also very interested in that!

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #42 of 55 Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I will receive my test sample in 3 days, the full review will be online next sunday.
post #43 of 55 Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I am very glad to hear that
post #44 of 55 Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Have you got your sample? can you share your review and video? and is it released in USA?

post #45 of 55 Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #46 of 55 Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

If Vivitek could have put a zoom lens on the Qumi 7 there is no reason why LG could not have put one on the PF80G unless costs was a factor.
post #47 of 55 Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Is the Qumi Q7 available in stores yet, seems to be taking forever considering it was showcased at the begning of the year. Also the review linked in this thread
does not mention anything in regards to the Qumi Q7 pixel structure. I cannot tell by the pictures if I see squares or diamond pixels.. Since no mention I assume
it is square but you never know for sure. Also at msrp $1000 is too pricey, considering LG has FullHD 1080p LED projector for just $200 more.
post #48 of 55 Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Unless LG's new 1080P LED projector forced them out of the consumer market and will be only selling the Qumi 7 to businesses.
With the release of the LGPF80G I don't see how Vivitek can compete with LG's 1080P projector unless they sell it at a steep discount.
post #49 of 55 Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Got it.

It's my first projector, so I can't make real comparisons

I just checked it side-by-side against its "brother" Q5 -slightly brighter with the same screen size- and decided to put some more money on this Q7 (bonus: wifi dongle).

My impressions after one month of usage.

The Q7 needs an almost dark room to appreciate the image at "big" size (say 230cm screen base, shooting from 320cm far from a white wall); the lens projects an evident  halo around the image: perhaps using masks in front of the lens would shield it and increase the contrast... it's something I have to experiment...

To answer a few questions that seem to be left open:

It has adjustable feet and may be set up for straight or rear projection, desktop or ceiling mounted (I use a camera tripod: it has a threaded hole at the bottom).

It has glass lens; manual focus. No need to tune focus during projection.

When using keystone correction, with the Q7 aimed at high angle and average screen size (say over 150-180cm base), I need to find a mean with focus: the risk is to have an image with perfect focus on the base and a bit "uncertain" top edge. Of coursem best performance is when shooting straight.

It has a manual zoom. Range (+10%) is too short for my likings, but found it useful when shooting from short distance.

It's a bit noisy (didn't realize it in the shop where I had a demo with a DVD of mine). I found I prefer to keep it ahead and below of me than behind and above my head. When using the 5.1, its noise is hardly perceivable.

It has square-shape pixels, although oblique at 45 degrees (diamond? With a 200cm screen base you have to stand at least at 1,5m to see  the matrix)

Player for Office documents not tested.

3D not tested (not very interested in it).

Internal speakers? Let's be serious! I found more of use the earphones socket during late night vision, not to disurb sleeping neighbours. ;-)

Mounting the WiFi dongle allows using it as a WiDi device: nice for PC playing movies or streaming live TV from the NAS/DLNA.

Totally useless to me the internal web browser and mp3 player (what's that for on a projector?!).

Basically I was looking for something small to use at home, to take around on vacation or at friends' places to watch movies or soccer matches together (no videogames), with good performances, no power bricks and easy to put away when not used; this last is an important Wife Acceptance Factor when living in a small apartment!

Yes, we have seen (and appreciated!) more expensive projectors.

Yes, we would have appreciated more if the Q7 was a real full hd, but we have a lot of DVDs and yet a few BDs... and after all...we have to watch movies, not hunt for pixels!

At the present time, we are happy with it and wouldn't ask for more from this (budget) class of objects.

Regards from Rome :-)

post #50 of 55 Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Got it.

It's my first projector, so I can't make real comparisons

I just checked it side-by-side against its "brother" Q5 -slightly brighter with the same screen size- and decided to put some more money on this Q7 (50€ off and bonus wifi dongle).

My impressions after one month of usage:

The Q7 needs an almost dark room to appreciate the image at "big" size (say 230cm screen base, shooting from 320cm far from a white wall); the lens projects an evident  halo around the image: perhaps using masks in front of the lens would shield it and increase the contrast... it's something I have to experiment...

To answer a few questions that seem to be left open:

It has adjustable feet and may be set up for straight or rear projection, desktop or ceiling mounted (I use a camera tripod: it has a threaded hole at the bottom).

It has glass lens; manual focus. No need to tune focus during projection.

When using keystone correction, with the Q7 aimed at high angle and average screen size (say over 150-180cm base), I need to find a mean with focus: the risk is to have an image with perfect focus on the base and a bit "uncertain" top edge. Of course, best performance is when shooting straight.

It has a manual zoom. Range (+10%) is too short for my likings, but found better than nothing when shooting from short distance.

It's a bit noisy (didn't realize it in the shop where I had the demo with a DVD of mine). I found I prefer to keep it ahead and below of me, rather than behind and above my head. When using the 5.1, its noise is hardly perceivable.

It has square-shape pixels, although oblique at 45 degrees (diamond?) With a 200cm screen base you have to stand at least at 1,5m from screen to see the Matrix.

Player for Office documents not tested.

3D not tested (not very interested in it).

Internal speakers? Let's be serious! I found more of use the earphones socket during late night vision, not to disurb sleeping neighbours. ;-)

Mounting the WiFi dongle allows using it as a WiDi device: nice for PC playing movies or streaming live TV from the NAS/DLNA.

Totally useless to me the internal web browser and mp3 player (what's that for on a projector?!).

Basically I was looking for something small to use at home, to take around on vacation or at friends' places to watch movies or soccer matches together (no videogames), with good performances, no power bricks and easy to put away when not used; this last is an important Wife Acceptance Factor when living in a small apartment!

Yes, I have seen (and appreciated!) more expensive projectors.

Yes, I would have appreciated more if the Q7 was a real full hd, but I still have a lot of DVDs and yet a few BDs... and after all...I have to watch movies, not hunt for pixels!

At the present time, we are happy with it and wouldn't ask for more from this (budget) class of objects.

Regards from Rome :-)

post #51 of 55 Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll be returning the Q7 to Bestbuy soon, but I've had some time to play with and compare it. It has very few advantages over its significantly cheaper rivals; even the execution of the zoom is rough. The zoom wheel is Iooser than the adjacent focus wheel and their close proximity often results in focus attempts bumping the zoom.

It has problems with scaling USB videos so it adds giant jaggies and halos as well as framerate problems with 720p (some 1080 plays at slideshow fps). These problems aren't present using vga or hdmi, and my other cheapo led pjs are just fine playing the same videos via USB. The q7 is also much slower at loading video/picture content in its mediaplayer. Half the fun of a portable is to just grab a flashdrive and your pj and go..the q7 completely fumbles here.

The remote is very slow and iffy to respond (though it is not picky where it's aimed). The p300 has a similar remote that works just fine and responds very quickly.

Most of the inputs do not allow color or tint controls, but there are still a fair amount of standard options as well as a very generous supply of gamma presets. Aspect ratio scaling doesn't have an automatic setting (not even a native p2p mode) so you have to set it any time a format changes. It does have an option to digitally push the whole image a few pixels left/right up/down which is something other picos don't have, but it cuts off part of the image and I can't think of a situation where this would be any better than sliding the pj an inch to the left. General menu layout and operation is a bit more cumbersome than usual.

Its brightness is similar to other 500-1000claimed leds, and it can put out a pleasant image around 400lumens..just like the models under 2/3 this price. The white balance is always a bit cold even at its most red. The focus is even, but softer than the p300. The contrast is slightly lower than 1,000:1 and darkroom viewing suffers for it. It also has a green tint to its blacks just like the other 500-1000lm pj's. Comparatively the p300 has both higher contrast and a more neutral shade of black. The medium DynamicContrast feature of the LG allows it to perform better in high ambient light conditions than the Q7.

Fan noise isn't bad, but it isn't improved much by eco mode and the LG is similar and then much quieter in medium and eco. The Q7's speakers sound similar to a laptop and the LG fairs much better here in both volume and frequency range.

In short; there are few things (if any, of significant value) that the Vivitek Q7 does better than any other LED projector claiming 500-1000lumens, and everybody else does it much cheaper. There ARE many things that the competition does significantly better. And for what it's worth, I still have to "touch-up" the focus after the first couple minutes of warm-up just like any other projector I've used that gets moved around.
post #52 of 55 Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM

I  saw this model in the electronic store. 

They put this projector next to the epson eh-tw 410…I dunno why they did compare side by  side .

Iam a newbie, don't know projector world at all, but. this quimi 7 was not pleasure to view sports , in the store they showed real madrid vs barcelona game, the pitch looks dark dark green, in a night game fully light at the stadium…  in the other side, epson was looks shining ground.

I asked store stuff, whats the difference between this two projector,  he said; in short;  one is led other is 3lcd. and more technical differs etc.

In the same store I saw quimi 5 aswell. that was hard to watch screen  at around 40 inch. to my eyes it was too dim?>dark.

regards,

post #53 of 55 Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

The qumi7 has very poor colors in most presets. LED can look very good, especially in a darker room, but the Q7 needs a lot of help and is too expensive. For table mounting, the cheaper LG's beat the Qumi at everything. The Q7's only advantage is a small amount of ceiling-mount flexibility from having zoom. And its zoom is very hard to work with. The LG's have better out-of-the-box colors, especially the newest ones. Many lamp-based projectors have good colors in certain modes as well.

That qumi7 was a mediocre projector, using a bad menu setting, in a poor room, next to a brighter and better calibrated projector. It was a bad example.

As a fun example, here's a side-by-side of a popular 1080p-lamp-based-Optoma and a 720p-LED-LG after nudging a couple settings on the LG by eye. Can you tell which is which?

The Q7 can get close to this as well, but it costs 50% more, has a clumsy menu that lacks important options, and is all-around worse in too many ways compared to the competition..all of which is cheaper.
silencio00 likes this.
post #54 of 55 Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Thanks for replay.

Whats the model name that You mentioned at 720p Led LG ? .

Regards,

silencio.

post #55 of 55 Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencio00 View Post

Thanks for replay.
Whats the model name that You mentioned at 720p?
That's an LG PA75u (newer version is pa77u), but it has slightly different names in different regions.

The bottom image is the LG.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page