Acer H6510BD - FullHD 3D DLP DC3 for under 1000$? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 521 Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are interested here is my breakdown. On a side note, I am a very careful shopper - spent many hours looking at lots and lots of options for all these components, I don't think you can do a largish home theater today for less if 7.1, 3D and 1080P are requirements. I would have to say Amazon has been really helpful with lots of good reviews on most of this stuff, and helping me avoid inferior options.
I also had a really good time putting it all together, wasn't that hard just a bit time consuming (probably about 2 full days and a couple of evenings). Also note, my Yamaha hasn't arrived yet, I am using an ancient 5.1 panasonic amp - so I am hoping the sound may be even better. Anyway here is what I spent...

Acer H6510BD 1080P 3D Projector - 800

Yamaha Amp - 370
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF85WE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mica In Wall Speakers ~ 250 (This is 7 speakers - I already have a sub for 7.1 surround)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00481KO30/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPS6T6/ref=oh_details_o08_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen - 250 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VS6T06/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mount, 2x4x16 wood and banana plugs (all combined under 50 bucks)

Also 3D glasses will be 100+ bucks for 4

- Okay I was wrong ~$1800 + my SW (if you included glasses, hardware, etc.)

Image and sound quality plenty good enough for me, I am not an audio or video buff and I am sure many people would go a lot higher - but if you are on a budget this setup is great.

Now the furniture is another thing .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 521 Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the optoma z101 ahd 201. They worh well with all the SBS movies but not with all of the other 3D formats so I ordered these from amazon for $24.00/£16.00 !!!!!! and they work with every format that i have used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BIYA0RU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am no an expert on projectors but I have owned a sony, Benq, infocus and two acers. This H6510BD is the best I have own so far. I read a lot about the w1070 but when the 6510 came into play it was just too good to pass up. There is another one even cheaper by viewsonic, but it sounds like a really short throw aand one HDMI. I use one HDMI from my Oppo and the other one from my PC. The PC image is stunning, I have a Nvida GT480 graphic card with a HD-DVD and Blu-ray drive .. I can certainly vouch for the 6510 .. a very very good toy smile.gif Can you give the one you have a test run, if you do it will stay in your man cave biggrin.gif... hope this helps you
post #93 of 521 Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM

I told you biggrin.gif. This will be a top seller once the reviews get theirs hands on it
post #94 of 521 Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

I couldn't agree more - the picture is just so crystal clear -

It reminds me of when I borrowed a Mac with the retina display, I use a lot of screens, have quite a few HD TVs, but I don't remember seeing anything quite so vivid and clear as this for large projection display.

I just wish I was more handy at building a hush box, will need to get on that soon as the noise is annoying.
post #95 of 521 Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hobbit, I assure you that you do not have a monopoly on being a cheap and stingy techie. After I check my e-mail every morning, I surf to Slickdeals to see what I might be able to convince myself that I need today!

Main components of my setup:

Recent Purchases:
H6510BD--$800 from Newegg
5X pair of Sainsonic 3D Glasses--$125 from Amazon & ebay

Already had:
Yamaha RX-V667--$300 from h.h. gregg
Jamo A340PDD.3 5.1 speaker system--$150 from Vann's

Incidentals:
Screen: Painted on (have to repaint now that I'm going from 4:3 to 16:9)--est. $50
Mount--Omnimount (already in place, purchased 7 years ago)--$70
Cables: est. $50
Computer: (Built myself) Core i7 860, 256GB SSD, nvidia GT460 GPU, 16GB Memory, BD-ROM, 24" 1920 X 1200 LCD Monito, etc.: All told, around $1100
PS3 (My daughter's from last Christmas)--$200
post #96 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKclarence
"Nvidia 3d glasses ARE compatible with whatever 3D content you play through your computer. This should be no different than your old projector"

UKclarence,
Thanks for your reply, but I respectfully disagree about the Nvidia 3D glasses, you need three things to be able to use these glasses.
1) An Nvidia video card that supports 3D.
2) Nvidia 3D Kit (glasses and RF Emitter).
3) An "Nvidia 3D Vision" approved monitor or in this case projector. The Acer H5360 is "Nvidia 3D Vision" approved, the H6510 is a "Nividia 3DTV play" approved.

Therefor when you connect it and you go to the Nvidia control panel, under 3D you will not see this projector listed as an option and you cannot use Nvidia 3D glasses with this projector, they are not recognized. The only option you will see in the control panel is going to be 3DTV Play and this means using DLP 3D link glasses. Now the only reason I point this out is to save anyone else from thinking that they can use their Nvidia 3D glasses with this projector.

I am going to take your advice and keep this projector. I am going to mount it this weekend and have already ordered the DLP link glasses, since I bought my Nvidia glasses off of ebay I should be able to sell them and not lose too much. Again thanks for your reply to my earlier post, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I will let you know if I love this projector or not, but from all I've read here I am sure it will be a keeper.
post #97 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 13
you can hack .inf and still use your glasses for 720@120hz which is preferable for gaming. But losing the rez for 1080@24 3D would be bad. I don;t think it would be easy to enable it as there are no 1080 3d vision displays. It's a dead end now, even with the hardware workarounds.

any experts know if RBGRBG or RBGCMY would have worse RBE at the same speed?
post #98 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM

sjm560, I think you attributed my quote to ukclarence.

I could be wrong, but I would think that being 3DTV Play ready would include being nvidia 3D vision ready. After all, nvidia would have to be brain-dead to bar a customer from substituting nvidia's hardware (upon which I'm sure they make a nice profit) for the hardware of the PJ manufacturer or third party 3D glasses manufacturers.

Anybody have a 3D vision setup and able to test?
post #99 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM

sjm560 .. I don't own nvidia 3D glasses., only the nvidia PC GT480 graphic card. I am sure you'll like the H6510BD if not the benq or viewsonic look to be worthy contenders.
post #100 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM

If you "could be wrong" why not do some research instead of claiming how you think it "should work" 3d vision displays are 120hz.. 1080 120hz isn;t supported.

If it doesn't show in the drop down box (without hacks) it won't work. but be aware of the 1.4a standards that caused the switch to 3Dplay in the first place. proprietary solutions aren't necessary now. Serial modems might still work fine, but are obsolete. 3Dvsion will work with existing hardware, just not the new unless Nvidia does some extra work. maybe write some letters to acer/nvidia to maintain support for their products.

don;t expect much help from acer, they don;t even understand the difference
post #101 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You can hook up a 3D blu ray player directly to this projector for 3D viewing?
post #102 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This PJ looks really promising... if I am reading right this is pretty close to the w1070 with the main differences being different and slower color wheel and 2d-3d conversion.... Also this PJ seems to do 96 hz instead of 144hz for 24fps source?

The bulb hours seems good and seems that the next contender is the Viewsonic one which has a better warranty for less but doesn't have decent pq adjustment for hdmi input and is louder....

I was really hoping to hold out for something LED based so bulb life wouldn't be an issue but at this price it's pretty hard to say no...

Considering I want to do 3D gaming mostly on PS3 and watch movies (from PS3 and a laptop) and don't have cable so don't watch much TV there doesn't seem to be a reason not to get this.

Only thing I would like to see is the ability to use RF glasses... is there anything on the horizon that is looking to fit that description in a similar price range?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #103 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSixGolf View Post

If you "could be wrong" why not do some research instead of claiming how you think it "should work" 3d vision displays are 120hz.. 1080 120hz isn;t supported.

If it doesn't show in the drop down box (without hacks) it won't work. but be aware of the 1.4a standards that caused the switch to 3Dplay in the first place. proprietary solutions aren't necessary now. Serial modems might still work fine, but are obsolete. 3Dvsion will work with existing hardware, just not the new unless Nvidia does some extra work. maybe write some letters to acer/nvidia to maintain support for their products.

Ummmm....find the answer yourself. I looked prior to my post above. It's not there. I'm not sure if you are claiming you have found some answer, but nvidia 3d vision has always been limited to 720p in games.

Again, I would like for someone who has the 3d vision hardware and the h6510bd to give it a try and provide a definitive answer.
post #104 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartmanDDT,
sjm560, I think you attributed my quote to ukclarence.
I could be wrong, but I would think that being 3DTV Play ready would include being nvidia 3D vision ready. After all, nvidia would have to be brain-dead to bar a customer from substituting nvidia's hardware (upon which I'm sure they make a nice profit) for the hardware of the PJ manufacturer or third party 3D glasses manufacturers.
I aploigize to ukclarence, it was your post I was responding to and yes Nvidia is brain dead because this is the case, 3D vision Glasses will not work with this projector.
I thought for sure my Nvidia glasses would work when I ordered this projector, but the more I looked into it the more I disliked what I found. I almost returned this projector to NewEgg because of it.
Nvidias own website for 3DTV staes that 3DTV is not combatible with 3D Vision Glasses and since this projector only supports 3DTV as the only Nvidia 3D solution, well you see where I am going.
post #105 of 521 Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonSixGolf

Originally Posted by CartmanDDT

Ummmm....find the answer yourself. I looked prior to my post above. It's not there. I'm not sure if you are claiming you have found some answer, but nvidia 3d vision has always been limited to 720p in games.

Again, I would like for someone who has the 3d vision hardware and the h6510bd to give it a try and provide a definitive answer.

Hey I wasn't trying to start a war here, I appreciates CartmanDDT response to my post. I just wanted to let anyone else that has a collection of Nivdias 3D glasses know that their glasses will not work with this projector.
I myself have decided to replace my Nvidia glasses and keep this projector after all the good things I've heard about it on this forum. This may not be the right decision for everyone.
post #106 of 521 Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM

I have nvidia nvison 3d glasses (at least till tomorrow because i sold them). I tried to get them work with acer 6510bd with no luck.

I had acer h5360 before and with that pj nvidia glasses worked just fine. i even tried to fool nvidia cp to think that i still had h5360 by using it's .inf file with no luck. also tried different resolutions with different refresh rates.

After trying and googleing i've come to conclusion that nvision 3d isn't compatible with 6510. only option you get is 3dtv play and that requires an additional software from nvidia and it cost about 40$.

when you have that software you only use nvidia nvision transmitter for verifying that you own that named hardware other than that nvidia package has no use. when you use nvidia 3dtvplay you have to have dlp link glasses compatible with your pj, nvidias own glasses doesn't work at all. Btw, there is a hack how you should be able to fool nvidia cp to think that nvidias nvision 3d transmitter is hooked up even if you don't own one.

Now, i'm waiting my pair of SainSonic branded SSZ-200DLB 3D glasses to be able to see how 3d works with 6510.
post #107 of 521 Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Thank you, linzki. I humbly admit that I was wrong.

...and assert that nvidia is, beyond all logic, DRM'ing/licensing itself out of the 3D hardware market. Brilliant!
linzki likes this.
post #108 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzki,
I have nvidia nvison 3d glasses (at least till tomorrow because i sold them). I tried to get them work with acer 6510bd with no luck.

I had acer h5360 before and with that pj nvidia glasses worked just fine. i even tried to fool nvidia cp to think that i still had h5360 by using it's .inf file with no luck. also tried different resolutions with different refresh rates.

After trying and googleing i've come to conclusion that nvision 3d isn't compatible with 6510. only option you get is 3dtv play and that requires an additional software from nvidia and it cost about 40$.

when you have that software you only use nvidia nvision transmitter for verifying that you own that named hardware other than that nvidia package has no use. when you use nvidia 3dtvplay you have to have dlp link glasses compatible with your pj, nvidias own glasses doesn't work at all. Btw, there is a hack how you should be able to fool nvidia cp to think that nvidias nvision 3d transmitter is hooked up even if you don't own one.

Now, i'm waiting my pair of SainSonic branded SSZ-200DLB 3D glasses to be able to see how 3d works with 6510.

Hey Linki,
I'd love to hear your opinion on which you think is the better 3D option:

1) Acer H5360 / Nvidia 3D Vision Glasses
or
2) Acer H6510bd / DLP 3D Link Glasses

I am replacing my Nividia glasses with the same ones you bought. I was able to pick up 4 pairs for $99.99 on eBay.

One more thing can you tell me what software you are using, my understanding is that PowerDVD is not compaitible with DLP Link 3D? I have my Bluray 3D disc collectoin ripped to my media server as .iso files that I currently play using PowerDVD, it sounds like this is no longer going to work for me.
Thanks
Steve
post #109 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Not sure if anyone can answer this.....

I have a panasonic older projector ( ready for replacement) 6' above/behind seating, also It is 16'8" from the screen that is 118" diagonal.

I hear that this is a short throw projector...will the H6510BD work for my setup? The pany i have can zoom down and out..

Thanks
post #110 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This is not a short throw projector although it is shorter than regular long throw projectors. Using this calculator http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD-projection-calculator-pro.htm the projector needs to be 11 feet, 2 inches away for a 118 screen.
post #111 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

This is not a short throw projector although it is shorter than regular long throw projectors. Using this calculator http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD-projection-calculator-pro.htm the projector needs to be 11 feet, 2 inches away for a 118 screen.

Does this mean there is no adjustments zoom down wise to adjust for the 5+ feet further back placement?

I can see the optimum is 11 feet... just not sure if i could compensate for the longer throw?

Thanks
post #112 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you don't want to change the mount, you may have to use a different projector.
post #113 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Review of Acer H6510bd should be out at projectorcentral.com by Wednesday.
This is on their homepage under Upcoming Reviews
Quote:
Upcoming reviews for next week
Evan Powell — Apr 5, 2013
We have four reviews scheduled for publication next week, and one in particular will be of interest if you want low cost 1080p home theater...

The Acer H6510BD has full native 1920x1080 resolution and a 3000 lumen output rating for just $799. I mistakenly reported earlier that 3D was limited to PC sources, but it isn't. It is compatible with Blu-ray 3D and has 2D to 3D conversion. At a tiny 4.8 lbs it will be interesting to see how much fan noise it produces as a by-product of all that light. But this may end up being a hot seller for home entertainment due to the 1080p resolution at a super-friendly price. The review should be posted by Wednesday or so.
post #114 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't get how this is not getting a ton of attention right now... it seems like it's a solid contender against the w1070... a white segment color wheel and no 144hz support both are sounding like they aren't hitting image quality too hard and with 2D-3D conversion thrown in (for what it's wroth) for $200 less... I just don't see any way this isn't a go...

If my media room was setup I would be on this...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #115 of 521 Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
post #116 of 521 Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm560 View Post

One more thing can you tell me what software you are using, my understanding is that PowerDVD is not compatible with DLP Link 3D?

I've been using PowerDVD for years with DLP Link 3D... not sure why you think it wouldn't work.

PS -- I'm currently using PowerDVD 12 Ultra and it works fine for me, although many others have struggled with it. I must admit that I can't help admiring Cyberlink's gutsy announcement of their latest version, PowerDVD 13. After the largely negative press on 12, I guess this new release proves that they aren't superstitious.
post #117 of 521 Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 27
Aparently it might have some image problems:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-12591-12.html
Look at the pictures made by krane
post #118 of 521 Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 AM

ref: Review !
http://www.your3dcenter.com/acer-h6510bd-3d-projector-review/

I have to say ... I TOLD YA !! smile.gif But all kidding aside seeing this tiny projector in use will (I believe) impress you .. it was $799.00 -10% discount well spent
post #119 of 521 Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodkopje View Post

Aparently it might have some image problems:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-12591-12.html
Look at the pictures made by krane

The pictures made by Brumbrum look like they are caused by the iphone. I don't know why this is happening to Krane and not Brumbrum.
post #120 of 521 Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm560
One more thing can you tell me what software you are using, my understanding is that PowerDVD is not compatible with DLP Link 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh
I've been using PowerDVD for years with DLP Link 3D... not sure why you think it wouldn't work.

PS -- I'm currently using PowerDVD 12 Ultra and it works fine for me, although many others have struggled with it.

Hi fxrh,
I read it on the internet, so it must be true (Sarcasm)

This was on a review of PowerDVD 13 at 3dvision-blog
Quote:
There isn’t much changed on the types of stereoscopic 3D display devices and output modes from the previous version, though they were already quite comprehensive with support for only 3D-capable DLP Link projectors using DLP Link glasses being the only thing that is still missing, though frame sequential mode is supported on a devices using 3D Vision with compatible hardware.

here is the link to the review

http://3dvision-blog.com/8863-cyberlink-has-released-the-new-powerdvd-13-media-player/

I am currently using my Acer h5360, Nvidia 3d vision kit and powerdvd 12, to play my 3d blu-rays that are ripped to my media server in .iso format.
After reading the above I was under the impression I would not be able to watch my 3d Blue-Ray .iso's with the Acer H6510bd and DLP Link glasses while using PowerDVD 12 as my software player.

Are you saying I should have no problem? That would be great news to me!

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page