What is the Life Expectancy of 3LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've read on projector central that the LCD can last from 4000-10000 hours. This means I may not even have to replace the bulb before I have to replace the entire projector. Surely this can't be true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post

I've read on projector central that the LCD can last from 4000-10000 hours. This means I may not even have to replace the bulb before I have to replace the entire projector. Surely this can't be true?

Older and some lower-end models from the likes of Epson and Panasonic that used Organic LCD micro display panels have a shorter life then the projectors that use the Epson Inorganic LCD micro display panels. All of the newer higher end models (essentially all current Epson and Panasonic 1080p projectors) are using the inorganic displays. A couple of years ago the UB models had the inorganic ones while the lower priced non-UB models used the less expensive organic LCD micro panels. The 4K to 10K hour number would be applicable to the organic panels while the inorganic panels that are now widely used in 1080p home theater class LCD projectors will have a longer life.
aftcomet likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Older and some lower-end models from the likes of Epson and Panasonic that used Organic LCD micro display panels have a shorter life then the projectors that use the Epson Inorganic LCD micro display panels. All of the newer higher end models (essentially all current Epson and Panasonic 1080p projectors) are using the inorganic displays. A couple of years ago the UB models had the inorganic ones while the lower priced non-UB models used the less expensive organic LCD micro panels.

I currently have an Epson 3020. Which does it use?

What is the difference between organic/inorganic?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had experience with 4 different 3 lcd projectors.

My friends PTAE200u (480p): Still kicking along just fine. 480p low lumens low contrast but works.

My original PTAE900u (decent 720p for it's time): It was hurt by 3 thousand hours (white was not white, large odd color variations) Dead at 2000 or so on the 2nd bulb, 6000k hours or so total. Vertical line death.

My friends Sanyo 1080p. The on the under 2k 1080p ones. He is living with some Image quality issues and probaly has less than a 1000 hours on it.

My Epson 6100 (basic 1080p) Bought used with 600 hours. By 1800 hours it has a small blue tint on the bottom on the screen that gets better as it warms but the rest of the PJ looks sharp.

Likely there were all the "lesser" panels.

I know others have had different experiences but I consider projectors to be disposable. I used 1000-2000 hours a year on the PJ. LED / Laser may cause me to pop for new tech again (I don't care about 3d) if something comes out that would work in my rear shelf mount theatre. 3 year year warranty my also be in my future I will make the decestion when the Epson dies or needs its next bulb.

Also you know your PJ bulb dims over time?

4000-10000 hours sounds pretty spot on from my experiences. Remember you have a couple hundred watt bulb in a small box with lead free solder.

Have Fun!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Ran a Sony hs20 for over 6yrs, organic panels. Only took it down to upgrade to 1080p. I think most would last closer to 10000 hrs. if taken care of, no smoke, judicial use, etc.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post

I currently have an Epson 3020. Which does it use?
What is the difference between organic/inorganic?

I think they switched to inorganic panels a couple of years ago, at least for the 1080p panels. Inorganic material lacks carbon base structure, which is better when dealing with the heat.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page