Wireless HDMI Projectors ---such as Epson 5020E---same picture quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First let me note that I realize there is technically no such thing as wireless hdmi but what we call it really doesn't concern me. I'd like to buy either the Panny 8000 or Epson 5020 but I have a 15 foot run with a drywalled ceiling and a handful of joist to drill through. So I ask myself do I swiss cheese my ceiling or do I trust the 5020E which uses alternative wireless means. Power is no issue since I snuck an outlet up where I needed it from the crawl space. Sound won't be an issue of course either since my cable box/DVD will go directly to my receiver via HDMI.

My thought is that for my current needs it will work...even watching 3D or Blue Ray. Or not? Maybe I'd get a slightly better picture with wired HDMI cables even right now for regular 1080p or 3D viewing. I have not seen any tests where someone ran the 5020E with no cables against the 5020 with cables. I called Epson and challenged them with this and go nowhere. I called back and got someone a little better but I could tell they really weren't sure.

If they pictures are equivalent then the concern is that over time when better picture comes available I'll have no hard wired option. But then again would my Redmere cables work in the future anyway? Will the future require me to upgrade the HDMI cables once we hit OLED quality projection (don't think 4K technology makes much diff).

The 5020E is $300 or $400 more than the 5020 so it's at least a consideration. Otherwise I was thinking just get the 5020E and run HDMIs in the future when/if I need them. If anyone wants to chime in I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I think the only "negative" on the wireless was it took just a sec or so longer during source switching. Image quality wasn't affected at all. Who knows what the future holds? If I were to do all that drilling I'd consider this "future", http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/goodbye-hdmi-hello-hdbaset/
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Good question and good alternative (HDbaseT). I was wondering the exact same thing about the quality, but I guess when you're talking 1's and 0's that it shouldn't be all that much different. The only thing I could see being an issue is syncing the sound since I was thinking there might be a delay of at least a few milliseconds between the sound and picture. Of course, what do I know and could be completely off base.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Check out projectorreviews.com for an in depth review of the Epson 5020ube.

My Media Room (Basement)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I think that was one of the several reviews I read. Are you saying you've read this review and it clearly address the concern in the original post?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The quality of the picture is the same between the wireless vs. wired 5020 models. The wireless model is made for the application described by the OP. I do not ever find it cost effective to implement something more expensive or more trouble now just because I might need it later. I just get it later, if I need it then, as it is always better and cheaper then.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page