Epson 8350 Lamp adventure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have not posted in a while, but I wanted to relay some good info to those of you who might have had a premature failure of the lamp in your 8350. I purchased my PJ on 4/1/11 and was super happy with it until about 8/20/12 when after 830 hours the lamp suddenly dimmed and then refused to light. I removed the lamp and observed that the post that the filament is attached to was drooping, as if it melted. I looked through my owners manual and read that there was a 90 day warranty on the lamp. I never bothered to call epson, assuming they would cite the written warranty limitations, and tossed the lamp. So I purchased a replacement from Pureland Supply, which offers a Sylvania OSRAM lamp. I was not sure about the lamp, but after looking at their customer service reviews I though it was worth the risk to save close to 200 bucks. So I bought the lamp, installed, ran fine from Aug 2012 till 1/1/13 when it suddenly would not stay lit. I removed the lamp in order to examine and reseat it, as I did so I noticed glittery flakes coming off the lamp. On the bulb the reflective material was crackling and flaking off ad area about the size of a oval dime. Never seen this phenomenon in 12 years of owning PJS. Reseated the lamp and refused to stay lit. Again I checked my docs and find I am 40 days out of warranty.

Kind of down in the dumps as i got all these new BR discs for Xmas and cant watch em, I called up Pureland and give them the skinny, and to my surprise I get them to agree to replace the lamp for a $50 dollar handling fee. Boxed up the defective one and shipped it off, I am now waiting on the replacement. In the mean time I got to reading some reviews in PJ Central on the new and old models and see a edit to a review of the 8350 that states that because of known issues epson had extended its 2 year PJ warranty to the lamp. Joy! Now I had to convince them to replace a lamp that blew out over 4 months ago AND I did not have a "dead lamp" to return. As expected I met some resistance with the first line tech sup rep, he stating that I had to make a claim within 90 days of the failure...I offered to read him the warranty terms and challenged him to point out that clause and he could not. I also expressed that epson chose to modify the terms of the lamp warranty coverage with no notice to the customer, and just because I was not aware of the additional time afforded me did not void that coverage. He then tried to tell me that because I purchased a replacement through a 3rd party I was not entitled to a replacement, to which I argued that my transaction with Pureland was not relevant to the warranty and its application.

Basically after asking for a supervisor/manager he put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back asking for serial # info so they could replace the lamp as "a one time courtesy", whatever makes them feel better. The lamp was defective, they have all but admitted that they have/had an issue with lamps in this series.

So in the end I have 2 new lamps coming my way, with a little sugar, persistence, and convincing arguments it seems that you can get good service from both Epson and Pureland.

HTPC: Alienware X51 Intel i7 Turbo 3.9GHZ 8GB RAM Slot Load BLU RAY GeGForce GTX 555 7.1 Sound
Pioneer 7.1 Rec. pushing 7 RCA Linaeum Speakers and 2x12inch Subs.
Displayed on Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 on a Dalite 120" Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Non-OEM lamps are typically nowhere near as good as an OEM(Epson) lamp & their life is usually less as well.

I would stay away from non-OEM lamps.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Let me make this short and to the point. The reason a lamp droops or dimples is that it has not had proper cooling. The arc chamber heats up and just like a glass blower it distorts the arc chamber. The same reason applies when the reflective material flakes off the glass reflector and onto the arc chamber. I'm guessing that this will be a reoccurring problem with this projector unless you find a way to speed up the internal fans or mount some sort of external fan to help increase air flow. If you have a high altitude option in the menu ,,,,choose it. You should also check any filters that may be restricting airflow. I would check with other users of this projector and see if any of them know if there is a service menu option to speed up the internal fans. The trade off is the projector will be a little louder.
FYI-because of mercury concerns some lamps are completely sealed which makes them harder to cool so you have a close tolerance when it comes to cooling.

Hope this helps

Bohanna
post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be looking into changing fan speeds as soon as the lamp arrives. My PJ is ceiling mounted in a vaulted room with no solid surfaces within 2 feet in any direction.

HTPC: Alienware X51 Intel i7 Turbo 3.9GHZ 8GB RAM Slot Load BLU RAY GeGForce GTX 555 7.1 Sound
Pioneer 7.1 Rec. pushing 7 RCA Linaeum Speakers and 2x12inch Subs.
Displayed on Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 on a Dalite 120" Screen
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page