Looking to upgrade to better projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After using a really "great" four year old SD short-throw projector which is now showing signs of age (getting fairly dim as well as very obvious spots of not-so-good quality), I'm planning on upgrading to a better projector. Some might say to a "real" projector.

I am really at a loss as to figure this out because I don't know the technical descriptions for the qualitative features I want. Is there a comprehensive "how to select a projector for newbies" guide somewhere?

Whatever projector I buy needs to be able to:
  • Have some sort of adjustable throw length (I will be using it in another location in the future, so if it is a "only fits this room" projector it's going to be an expensive investment)
  • Able to be ceiling mounted
  • It would be nice if there was flexibility in screen size? I'm not sure if this is feasible/possible? Some sort of zoom I would assume?
  • be nice if it was 1080p (hah, I know one of the technical descriptions!)
  • be able to project roughly horizontal as the screen will be higher than ideal due to space constraints

Here is a video of my room. It will be ceiling mounted close to where the smoke detector is (roughly). The screen is going to be on the wall where the front 3 speakers are right now - definitely going to be a DIY screen, not going to be ideal since we are going to want it to be removable, but this gives an idea for where it will be. Screen size is approx. 90 inch diagonal, probably going to be widescreen sized. Screen will be approximately 13 feet from the projector.

I really would like to spend in the $1k or less range. My research suggests to me the Epson 8350 is a good option as I think these descriptions meet what I am looking for
Quote:
Fujinon OptiCinema lens With manual 2.1x zoom ratio and focus for adjusting the displayed image.
100" viewable screen size (diagonal) For use with small or large groups. Displays an 80" widescreen image from just 8' away or a 120" image from 12' away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You want a projector with flexible placement. Lens shift and zoom. The 8350 and other 3 LCDs tend to have this. Each projector is a little different about how it can be mounted and the screen sizes it will produce at a given range. Read a few manuals and reviews until you understand what all this means. It is important.

Ceiling mounted? Lets just assume they can all do this is the more than $500 range.

For 1k you get 1080p. Do you have 1080p sources?

Diy screens are fun. Go read all about them.

I think the 8850 is a fine pj for the price if you want real placement flexibility.

Have Fun!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Agree with Kmannth, "lens shift" is the term related for flexible placement, with lcd pj's usually offering the most flexibility. "Keystone" can do some movement of the image as well, but should be avoided if possible due to some image compromising. Now you know 2 more terms.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_projector_buyers_guide.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

You want a projector with flexible placement. Lens shift and zoom. The 8350 and other 3 LCDs tend to have this. Each projector is a little different about how it can be mounted and the screen sizes it will produce at a given range. Read a few manuals and reviews until you understand what all this means. It is important.

OK, I will (knowing terminology will help here, I think).
Quote:
For 1k you get 1080p. Do you have 1080p sources?

I will have a blu-ray player. I do not have a ton right now but I suspect that I will (plus RedBox has blu-ray rentals for $1.50 it seems which is a great deal in my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Agree with Kmannth, "lens shift" is the term related for flexible placement, with lcd pj's usually offering the most flexibility. "Keystone" can do some movement of the image as well, but should be avoided if possible due to some image compromising. Now you know 2 more terms.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_projector_buyers_guide.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

Awesome, thank you, those links will be really helpful.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM

jnabq provided some good links. I'd use the projector central calculator on your current setup to see how to use it and understand it. It's a great tool.

The tool may not provided all that you need to evaluate a particular projector for a theater dark room because on most models it doesn't take in consideration for projector brightness modes. The reviews often cover this. Good luck. It's a great hobby!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

So my thesis is nearing completion which means I get to by myself a graduation present. Will take quite a few hours of watching movies before I make up the time the thesis took...

Thinking of getting the 8350 still, it's only $899 for a refurbished off Epson's website. I tried calling and they wouldn't budge on this price for refurbished, unfortunately.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page