Does a receiver negate input lag on projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I have been researching projectors (mainly the Epson 8350 vs the Optoma HD33). I understand that the Epson has higher input lag than the Optoma.

I will be connecting a PS3, XBOX 360 & a Wii through the high end Sony receiver that I have.

The question I have is since I will be running the inputs through my receiver, does the projector input lag really matter since all it will be receiving is an image from the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It won't negate it but could add to it. Each device the video signal is sent through could add some input lag to the projector. If possible, I would turn off any video processing capabilities that the receiver would have if you are gaming on your projector. You could also do a bit of research to try and find receivers that have little to no input lag.

You will also want to look into the lip sync setting to make sure the receiver isn't adding any additional input lag trying to get a perfect audio/video sync.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 13
The only way it can negate the lag of the display is if it also includes a time machine and is able to send the video signal forward in time. Maybe it has a flux capacitor? But seriously, no it will not negate any lag but you can compensate for the lag with the receiver's delay mechanism so the receiver delays the audio by the same amount the PJ is lagging. That way the video and audio remain in perfect sync.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Many receivers have a lip sync feature that allows you to delay the audio by the same amount as the video lag, so the audio and video get synced back together they way they should be. This takes care of any problem with video lag from movies and TV, but it does not take care of problems with video lag in games. Delaying the audio to match the video lag still leaves the video lag - there is no way to remove video lag once it is there. So, for gaming that requires fast reactions, such as sports games and shooters, low video lag is important, but no receiver can take care of that.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I currently have my receiver hooked to my 46" Sony LCD and have no lag issues with any of my game consoles, blu ray or satellite TV.

So I think it's back to my original research for a nice projector with adequate input lag ratings.

Some people are saying the 8350 has horrendous input lag while others are saying it only has 18 ms lag.

I forgot how much of a pain it is to sort through information to find out the truth sometimes.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasburath View Post

I forgot how much of a pain it is to sort through information to find out the truth sometimes.

Yes. For what its worth, I've read a lot of places that the 8350 has real good lag times. Here is one report:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2012-02-09-Acer-H9500-review-status-Epson-8350-for-Gaming&entry_id=490

Also, though, that Optoma's isn't so bad, and it offers 3D which is great fun with games. Unless you are doing a lot of online shooters, the Optoma will probably be fine.

If you knew that Sony's lag time, you would know how much you currently are putting up with, and that would help you a lot. Just guessing, but it could easily be more than the Optoma's.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I will check when I get home when I can look at the model of the TV and Receiver.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I read the new Benq 1070 has low lag times for gaming. You can start there.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page