Short Epson 5020ub review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
HWM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently upgraded to an epson 5020ub and, given that I've benefitted greatly from the reviews and comments on the forum, I thought I'd contribute my two cents to anyone considering this projector. Background-wise I started off with old school 8" then 9" CRTs via Curt Palme and have been through a variety of DLPs, LCDsboth for home and work use. I'm not an expert, but I know what I like smile.gif. Viewing habits: Blu-ray via pc (20%), 3d blu-ray via playstation (10%) HD via Uverse (20%), PC gaming non 3d (20%), PC gaming 3d (10%), Movies/TV via appletv (20%).

I was deciding between the ae8000u and the epson; my leaning was initially towards the ae8000u due to gaming lag issues noted on these forums. However, customer service matters a great deal and Epson's longer standard warranty, lower price, and the fact that I received 4 glasses (dealer threw two extra pair in), won me over.

Gaming: I am not a hard core gamer, but enjoy the occassional on-line fray. I do not notice any lag. I'm sure some do, but they are a level of gaming way above my skillset. Frankly, I've neither the time nor desire to get beyond the casual gaming level. 3d gaming (Crysis 2 on xbox, Skyrim on pc) exceeds my expectations. The glasses are light, responsive, and hold a charge well. When gaming I'll pull a chair up and sit a few feet from my 117" wide screen (135" diagonal) in a completely light controlled theater, as I like the immersive feel of it. I never notice the "grid", and the experience is incredible. huge plus for me is the throw distance and lense shift....I have mounted it at a height where, even with a huge screen, four of us can stand within five feet of the screen and not block any of the picture. Makes kinect gaming (Dance Central 3, mainly) as a family an absolute blast.

Color: For me, it was darn near perfect out of the box. U-verse is always messy and requires different settings, but that's a matter of their signal and isn't the projector's issue. Anything played through my ps3, my pc, the xbox 360, or the appletv looks stunning. Quality wise, blu-ray via pc (powerdvd) looks the best, ps3 blu-ray next on the list, appletv 1080p is next and rivals my ps3, and u-verse 1080p drags up the rear. Hate whatever u-verse compression goes on...don't understand it well enough to give an informed critique, and oddly it varies drastically even between hd channels, but suffice to say not all 1080p is created equal....

Black levels: Amazing. Best I have ever experienced; including my memory of my CRTs of old (though I don't have a side by side comparison as I've removed the 200lb beasts from my ceiling long ago). Love the "alignment" menu of the epson as it brings back old memories of lining up CRT grid patterns with a hex wrench smile.gifsmile.gif...I know, not the same thing at all tech wise, but struck me as cool nonetheless.

Movies: It is rare that I watch a movie without at some point disregarding the plot and internally critiquing the picture...blotchiness in the colors, weird jittering in panning scenes, a corner not exaclty in focus on my old CRT etc. This is the first projector where I have honestly thoroughly enjoyed movies without being sucked into an image critique. The only issue I've had is with my home made screen and a small wrinkle in the top right corner smile.gifsmile.gif.

3d conversion: Ummm, not a fan. Doesn't compare to true 3D, and really, it can't. But I have yet to see any projector where this was anything but a novelty item (i.e wow, I can kind of see this in 3d, how cool, now lets take these things off and get back tot he movie), but nothing immersive about it. If you are buying this rather than a 3010 for the 3d conversion---don't. That piece isn't worth it. I think the lense shift, color, thx modes, etc are worth the upgrade.

Crispness: With clean source material it is the best picture i've seen...incredibly sharp, like looking through a window, even with a relatively large screen and shorter viewing distance.

3d movies: Better than the theater. Avatar was an entirely new experience. I was hesitant about how "into" 3D movies I would be, but at this stage I now look for 3d titles first when off to rent a blu-ray. Kids love it and it is an easy, hassle free viewing experience...
hanmagnus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks, for the great review. It sounds like you are quite pleased with the projector. Are you using the wireless output with success?
hanmagnus likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM

Liked: 10
Same as ss396 I am very interested in knowing if this review is based on wired or wireless connection. Otherwise a great review, thank you!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Great Review! Can't wait to get mine (availability end of January). Have you tried 3D on U-Verse yet? Thanks for the review.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
HWM

Liked: 11
So sorry...I typed an "e" on the end by mistake. I just have the 5020ub; no wireless. I haven't tried U-verse 3d yet (they dumped espn 3d without warning and while they used to have a collection of 3d pay per views, I haven't seen any lately--even Brave isn't listed in 3d--not sure what the deal is there).
post #6 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the reply smile.gif Does anyone know if wireless effects lag time? I've read both yes and no on different sites/reviews...
post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the fantastic review. If anyone gets the E version, please post regarding the wireless. This feature has me very interested in getting the ube vs. the ub.

I have read a lot of reviews of the Epson and Panny 8000 and I think I am going with the 5020.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM

I ordered my Epson 5020UBe Dec.12. Haven't even been shipped yet! Plenty of 5020's though.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM

I ordered my 5020ube on the 21st of this month. I hope to have it in time for the big game. I am a little worried about all the convergence issues i have heard about though. I have just received a 135" Elite screen, and the 4 extra pairs of Samsung 3D glasses I read on here that would work with it. Projector People said that my projector would be dropped shipped from Epson. Has anybody started getting their 5020ube's yet?
The game is next week it would really suck not to have it set up and running by then.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
today i ordered my 5020UB
Can't wait to get and fire it up biggrin.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Projector People and FedEx are now starting to piss me off. I paid for 2 day air for the mount and accessories and it still hasn't arrived. So I call FedEx and they tell me the stuff won't be here until at least Tuesday. What a bunch of crap. That’s a total of 5 days about 2 and half days later then what I paid for. I paid $25.08 for 2 day shipping I had better get 2 day shipping or Projector People can give me my shipping money back. Hell I could have bought a new 3D Blu ray for that. Not happy with either company right now and Epson isn’t starting off on the right foot with me either. I have called them twice trying to find out when any 5020ube’s would be coming into the country and every person that answers doesn’t have a clue. Very knowledgeable staff there let me tell you "NOT". If Epson doesn’t get their crap together fast and start building these projector's somebody else can have the one I am in line for and I will give my money to Panasonic at least they have those in stock.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ It took epson 2 weeks to ship out my 5020UB and I was tempted to go Panasonic as well. Yes, it's frustrating. Let's hope you get it before the SuperBowl.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Thank you for listening and your support Nambit. The thing that really made me mad was the 2 day shipping turning into 5 day shipping that I paid $25.00 for. I already know I am not getting the 5020ube in 2 days from the order date so they could've at least sent the other stuff I bought from them 2 day air like I paid for. I am calling Projector People first thing Monday and telling them they can refund my shipping money. I guess I just needed to vent a little. Peace
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page