Need advice on low end projector for Cub Scouts (Under $450) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The title pretty much sums it up. I am looking to buy a projector for a Cub Scout Pack. We will use it for projecting Pinewood Derby Races on a wall in a gym. We will occasionally have a late night movie projected on a blow up screen on our campouts. We will also use it at our recruiting events. We don't need 1080, I'm thinking 720 should work unless I am convinced otherwise. I just know there are a lot of brands and models. I have never bought a projector so I am not sure what to look for, other than advice. I am in a time crunch and need to buy in the next few days.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
In a time crunch situation, rent one as it sounds like you will have lighting on in the gym and a $500 HT projector ain't going to cut it.
Then do your research to figure out what you need for your movie night.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Does it matter that we can project onto a darker colored wall? One of the walls is a medium gray color. I believe that we can cut some of the lights on that side of the gym.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking at more of a business class projector since they seem to be brighter.

Was considering the BenQ MX660P.

3000 Lumens, XGA (1024x768) which won't be the best for movies, but does it matter for 6-12 year old Cub Scouts?

I know that we need something bright for the ambient light in the gym, but we have a limited budget so I am a little stuck. This one stretches the budget by about $50 and I think that would be OK.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

OK,

I picked up a Optoma Pro 160s. I took it up the the Gym where we are going to have our Pinewood Derby. The unit is rated at 3000 Lumens like the BenQ MX660P that I was looking at online. The difference is that I was able to get the Optoma locally where I would have to order the BenQ online. It appears that if I turn 1 row of lights off in the Gym that the unit is plenty bright. So my question now shifts to quality. Does anyone have insight on either of these models or can you give me your opinions on the brands?

Brent
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 12
Did you try it out with movies and see how it looked? I still have a small low lumen 800x600 pj in my office and it's watchable at about 8' away and further. But I'm only watching a 65-70" picture.

I'm no expert here, but what you find acceptable would partially hinge on how far back you'll be sitting from the screen and how large the image will be. Obviously, the lower the resolution, the further back you'll want to sit, at least in my limited experience.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page