Signal drops off briefly / troubleshooting ideas?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've had my new projector (Viewsonic PRO8200) for almost two weeks now and LOVE it! (See first post here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445952/new-to-the-forum-looking-for-some-input-advice#post_22792999)

One issue that has come up repeatedly now though is an issue where the signal will cut out briefly (like 2-3 seconds) upon watching anything (from my only source; a PS3). I assumed it was an HDMI cable, but now I'm not sure.

Basically I'll fire everything up and start watching a movie, netflix, or playing a game and within about the first 20 minutes (estimate, haven't timed it yet) the signal will drop off for about 2-3 seconds, the screen goes scrambled for a second, then blue, then come back. Once it comes back, my Amp will display that its outputting 5.1, which it typically only does upon first starting a movie so that leads me to believe the PS3 might be dropping the signal? Or perhaps its the 30' HDMI cable I bought off Amazon for $10 shipped (no name brand). I'm just not sure and wanted to get some thoughts?

To be clear, it only does this once per sitting, and it happens within about the first 20 minutes of using it. My configuration is a PS3 hooked up to my amp via HDMI then my amp outputs via a 30' HDMI to my projector.

Thoughts??

I think my first step will be to replace the HDMI coming from the PS3 to the amp and see if that changes anything. My thinking is however, that since it only happens once and always about the same time period, perhaps its an issue with the PS3 instead of the cable? I never had this issue however, with my 50" Plasma that I replaced with the PJ.

Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 13
Check that the cable is fully plugged into the PJ, and make sure you have some stress relief as well so the connector is not supporting the weight or strain of the cable. It sounds like the PJ warms up a bit and its causing the connector to shift just a mm or enough to disturb the connection.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Try turning off "deep color" in the ps3. If that doesn't do it, you might consider replacing that cable. 30' isn't to bad, but right on the edge of tolerances if it's a cheap cable, especially if sending 3d content.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I've made sure both ends of the cables have slack and Deep Color on my PS3 was turned off already.

I too am wondering if it has something to do with the PJ warming up and changing something within the connector and the reason being, is yesterday, I came home fired up everything and played some COD. About 20 minutes in it hiccuped. After it played fine until i turned it off. I came down, made some dinner, posted up on here to create this thread, then after dinner wife and I decided to go up and watch a movie. Fired everything back up (probably only 45 mins in between COD time and movie time, so not much cool down) and started the movie. I even had the foresight to start a timer on my phone to try and determine if it does cut out at a specific time period. Well, we watched the entire movie without anything happening. So I wonder if it does have something to do with the projector coming up to temp or something? I will double check the cables, and report back if anything else changes.

Honestly, in the end this isn't a make or break issue for me. I can certainly deal with it, so long as it only happens once per use and at the beginning of use (I say this primarily because I've already ran the 30' cable through my attic, down the inside of a wall and into my setup and don't really want to buy a new cable and redo all that again haha).

Thanks for the responses!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ok fired it up for the first time today to play some COD. At the 16 min mark the signal dropped. So far since it happened its worked fine.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM

Same happens to me right now with a Benq W1070 when sending a signal from a computer.
It also happens with VGA, so it's not an cable or HDMI Issue.
No solution yet...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page