5020 vs 3020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting a projector in the next couple of weeks and I have/decided on the 5020E (wireless may suit me better) and was prepared to pay the $2800. But then as I read there was not MUCH difference in picture quality between the 3020E and the 5020....I wondered if it was worth saving the $1000. Can anyone help me figure out if it is worth the extra G?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Here ya go
http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=7171&pid_2=7169

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #3 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I really don't see how the images can be really close because the 5020ub has 8x the contrast. I have never seen them side by side but I am willing to bet that the blacks are way better in the 5020ub. Also you can just about put that projector anywhere in the room.

- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
We install both they are not in the same league. The UB series has a lot better black and picture quality. Worth the extra IMHO.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

We install both they are not in the same league. The UB series has a lot better black and picture quality. Worth the extra IMHO.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

BobL - thanks. So the picture quality was actually significantly better? Also, do you think the 5020-E is as good as the wired version if you go wireless instead of hdmi?
post #7 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Picture quality is significantly better. Once you go past this the law of diminishing returns apply but this jump from the under $1500 projectors is quite noticeable. We haven't used the wireless so I can't say. In general though wires are preferred if possible no matter what the connection. Wires work!
post #8 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
One review states- unless you are in a light controlled room (dark ceiling, walls, floor etc) you will not see the difference.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
As long as you have no external light sources coming into the room, then the blacks on a 5020 will look MUCH better than a 3020 EVEN in a living room with all white walls, as long as there is no other light pollution except the PJ beam. The PJ beams own reflection pollution does not change native on/off contrast, it only changes ANSI and affects the perception of the black floor some. The blacks will still look pretty good in this scenario, unless you lose so much ANSI contrast that the detail is lost in the dark scenes themselves (but that would take a huge loss in ANSI, generally more than just white walls cause). This is based on pure math and is a fact as we had a long discussion on this in the other thread to clear this up (went on forever in the ANSI contrast thread).

Besides the math of it, I can tell you for a fact and from experience of owning different projectors, that projectors with higher on/off absolutely have better contrast in a room with white walls such as a living room. As the light dimenishes from dark scenes, less light is reflecting, it is a percentage game, so 100 IRE has the same amount of proportional light reflection with white walls as 0 IRE (remember proportional percentage by multiplying any number means the ratio stays the same). White walls only ruin ANSI, not on/off, though they do perceptibly raise the black floor, but the white peak being brighter helps a lot with that perception issue unless you are just watching the PJ way way too bright.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #10 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't Ansi what it is really all about? I have the 3020 and the contrast is phenomenal because it is SO bright. And this is 3D on it's dimest setting. The shadow detail is as good as it gets, while maintaining blacks, and that is very important to me. The 5020 would be better if these things didn't go so bright. In an almost all black scene the 5020 is darker I'm sure but those are rare. Check out "Resident Evil: Retribution" when she is in her dark outfit in the halls with glowing white walls, floor and cieling- spectacular and no loss of shadow detail in her outfit. Yeah if those rare scenes with predominately black are worth over $1,000 to you, than go for it. Not worth it to me.
old corps likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

IMHO it's worth the difference even in a living room, but it all depends on financial capabilities and smart decision making of course.
It also depends how picky you are. I can get used to a projector with lower on/off (I have 3 PJ's in my theater right now), a JVC RS-45, Benq w7000, and VS Pro8200. It doesn't mean your missing out on some huge thing, but certainly it adds another POP and WOW effect in dark scenes to have higher on/off. For instance, if I were a college kid with 3k in the bank, I would not be spending 1/3rd of my life savings to get better blacks (of course some would). However, if you have the cash to spend, then yes it is worth it.

I have black curtains and black ceiling and black everything, but I didn't when I first setup the room. Yes it makes a big difference even with white walls, but true only in the darker scenes. It will help in some movies more than others, just depends on the movie. Increasing ANSI contrast by darkening your room is very helpful, but so is extra dark blacks from the PJ itself even before the room is all dark.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #12 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3020 has a setting to keep whites from being blown out. I assume the 5020 has this also. This is more important to me than inky blacks. It's called white crush just like you can get black crush. Watched "Frankenweenie" 3D- just great with absolutely no murky picture and no crosstalk!. I use mine for predominately 3D. The glasses add to the contrast also. Now if the 5020 went much brighter, then that could definitely be worth more for 3D for some people but it doesn't.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it has everything you need for white contrast and white balance adjustments in all situations. I have not calibrated a 5020, but have played with a 5010 a little, but even on the 8700ub you can do it. The 5020/5010 offers a more extensive sharpening system and better convergence adjustment, and it has a better IRIS as well.

post #14 of 27 Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Me personally, having darker blacks is more important than clipping the whites or white crush however you want to call it. You can always calibrate a projector to fix the whites but the blacks depend on the contrast of the projector and you can not make a projector blacker than its rating obviously.

- Leon Phelps
post #15 of 27 Old 10-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 17
Once you go Epson UB Black...you never go back!! Learned that years ago!

matrixj
post #16 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Bringing this thread back...I've got an opportunity to pick up a 3020 new in box from an Epson dealer for a very good price...or do I wait for the new 5030....It's going into a totally light controlled basement...I'd love to save $1500...that could go to upgrade my processor...

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
post #17 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Man I don't know. I swung for the 5020 and I'm totally happy. If you have a dark room I doubt you'd be unhappy with the 3020. You could always sell it later and pick up a generation or two better than the 5020 later. Almost did that myself.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post

Bringing this thread back...I've got an opportunity to pick up a 3020 new in box from an Epson dealer for a very good price...or do I wait for the new 5030....It's going into a totally light controlled basement...I'd love to save $1500...that could go to upgrade my processor...
If you don't mind gray blacks like a DLP, the 3xxx series will work but once you've been accustomed to a decent black/contrast floor, the gray blacks may be bothersome.

post #19 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post

I'm also in a similar situation and definitely considering the 3020. If you know the dealer has more than one 3020 available or if you decide not to go with 3020, I'd be grateful for the dealer info. You can PM me if that's better. 

post #20 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogooses View Post

I'm also in a similar situation and definitely considering the 3020. If you know the dealer has more than one 3020 available or if you decide not to go with 3020, I'd be grateful for the dealer info. You can PM me if that's better. 

PM sent

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
post #21 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The OP didn't mention 3D capabilities. If that is important -- as it sometimes turns out to be, after the installation -- you have another reason to go cheap DLP over the JVC.

If low-priced PJs improve as much in the next two years as they have in the last two years, the JVC and its ilk will be superseded by a new generation of PJs -- PJs that consume inexpensive bulbs allowing the Home Theater to be repurposed for everyday television.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

The OP didn't mention 3D capabilities. If that is important -- as it sometimes turns out to be, after the installation -- you have another reason to go cheap DLP over the JVC.

If low-priced PJs improve as much in the next two years as they have in the last two years, the JVC and its ilk will be superseded by a new generation of PJs -- PJs that consume inexpensive bulbs allowing the Home Theater to be repurposed for everyday television.
To compete with the JVC, these lower priced DLP's will need to reduce/rid rainbows, reduce fan noise significantly, reduce light leak from the case & increase contrast(black level).
The color uniformity issues of the cheap optics will also need to be corrected.

There's a reason they cost less but the average person may not notice those issues until someone points them out.

post #23 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm in the same spot, trying to decide between these two. Was really aiming for the 5020, but just upgraded all my TiVos in the house, had a water heater replaced, blah blah blah.

I really do want to upgrade from my Mitsubishi 1000HDU, and with the 3020 I'd be getting 1080P vs 720, 2300 lumens vs 1500 and 40,ooo:1 contrast ratio vs 2,500:1 on the Mits. So significant improvements all the way around (I couldn't care less about 3D capabilities) and $800 cheaper (given the sub $2400 price Amazon has now for the 5020).

But the 5020 still tugs at me. biggrin.gif Use will be dedicated media room with great light control. Nice dark walls (but ceiling is a light tan, which does cause some bounce).
post #24 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just fyi....Mitsubishi is out of the projector market. i do not know if that means anything or not, but that would stop me from buying their product. Also, I have the 5020ub and I didn't pay that much more for it when it first came out. So , I would spend the extra couple hundred and get the 5030 if you are leaning towards the 5020.

- Leon Phelps
post #25 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Just fyi....Mitsubishi is out of the projector market.

The Mits I refer to is a 720P PJ I've had for ~7 years. I'm looking at either the 3020 or 5020 to replace it...
post #26 of 27 Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Upgraded from a Mits HC1500 to the 3020 last week. Gotta admit...im a little disappointed. Its saddled with Grey blacks i cant calibrate out. I did side by sides last night with the Mitsubishi. The Mits, while nowhere near as bright, has a nice warm tone to the image. The 3020 does really POP. but it seems harsh to me. Blacks are kinda washed out and i dont think I could be happy with it over the long run.. Im bringing the 3020 back. For the xtra 600 bux Im going for the Panny AE8000U.
Deep blacks, excellent 3D and lag times. Done! I wont remember the extra money I spent in 2 years, but i WILL always notice those grey blacks!

Employ thy time well, if thou meanest to get leisure.
Benjamin Franklin
1706 - 1790
post #27 of 27 Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtr41 View Post

Upgraded from a Mits HC1500 to the 3020 last week. Gotta admit...im a little disappointed. Its saddled with Grey blacks i cant calibrate out. I did side by sides last night with the Mitsubishi. The Mits, while nowhere near as bright, has a nice warm tone to the image. The 3020 does really POP. but it seems harsh to me. Blacks are kinda washed out and i dont think I could be happy with it over the long run.. Im bringing the 3020 back. For the xtra 600 bux Im going for the Panny AE8000U.
Deep blacks, excellent 3D and lag times. Done! I wont remember the extra money I spent in 2 years, but i WILL always notice those grey blacks!

I agree. I thought something was wrong with the first 3020 I saw, but it seems to be par for the course.

IMO, Epson's lineup is strong, but some of their weaker offerings get much better reputations than they deserve because the projector reviewing sites really push them for whatever reason (I have a good idea, but I'll be nice and keep my speculations and thoughts to myself there).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page