Projector for under $500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

was just wondering if its possible to buy a decent projector for under $500 - I'd like it to have HDMI input plus audio out.....

Are there any projectors out there that would be worth the punt?

Thanks,

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

i've seen these....

http://www.hdprojectorworld.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1844

http://www.hdprojectorworld.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1837

http://www.hdprojectorworld.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1842

but can't find any reviews on them! :-S
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The reason you don't see any reviews is because the manufacturer won't submit them for PROFESSIONAL reviews by UNBIASED people. Why? Because these are cheap junk and should be avoided. The people that come here and try and defend these have proven that they are NOT unbiased, some admit to selling them. When asked to submit them for reviews, they avoid the issue.

Look at the specs...the contrast is dismal, the NATIVE resolution isn't even HD. It is 800 X 600, anything higher is downgraded internally. They make the claim that their projector has 2 fans where all others have only 1. That is a LIE, most projectors have at least 2 fans, some have MORE! And don't believe their claims of long lamp life. I could go on and on, but there is enough in that website that raises HUGE red flags.

I saw one ad for one of these where the specs said "Includes NTSC Tuner". Sorry, but NTSC disappeared over 3 years ago.

There are a number of threads and reports in this and other forums, warning about these. Do a Google search for "White Van Scam".

There was another thread where a user bought a similar POS and when it failed could not get ANY support, his emails were not answered and the seller did not have ANY contact information, no address, no phone number, just an email address.
daveb03 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

The reason you don't see any reviews is because the manufacturer won't submit them for PROFESSIONAL reviews by UNBIASED people. Why? Because these are cheap junk and should be avoided. The people that come here and try and defend these have proven that they are NOT unbiased, some admit to selling them. When asked to submit them for reviews, they avoid the issue.

Look at the specs...the contrast is dismal, the NATIVE resolution isn't even HD. It is 800 X 600, anything higher is downgraded internally. They make the claim that their projector has 2 fans where all others have only 1. That is a LIE, most projectors have at least 2 fans, some have MORE! And don't believe their claims of long lamp life. I could go on and on, but there is enough in that website that raises HUGE red flags.

I saw one ad for one of these where the specs said "Includes NTSC Tuner". Sorry, but NTSC disappeared over 3 years ago.

There are a number of threads and reports in this and other forums, warning about these. Do a Google search for "White Van Scam".

There was another thread where a user bought a similar POS and when it failed could not get ANY support, his emails were not answered and the seller did not have ANY contact information, no address, no phone number, just an email address.

Thanks for that sheridan....safe to say I won't be buying one....I think for my budget I'll be better off just getting a normal TV!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

At least you came here and asked first, there are a few people that bought first and THEN came here to ask questions. They were screwed.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Dave, how about used equipment?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb03 View Post

Thanks for that sheridan....safe to say I won't be buying one....I think for my budget I'll be better off just getting a normal TV!

The fact you say this makes me think that you are getting the projector instead of or to replace a tv. If you are getting a projector I recommend also having a tv since it is inconvenient to black out a room all the time for everyday viewing, also bulb life is a factor and projector bulbs run between 200-400 bucks.

The problem with buying used projectors are: they tend to be somewhat delicate compared to most other eletronics, they tend to not last as long as other electronics (like tvs), also the bulb replacement. It's kind of pointless to get a used projector for 500 if you have to then buy a bulb for another 300. For that 800 you could've just gotten a new projector.

You are not going to find 1080p projectors in this price easily, perhaps there are some 720p ones on sale that would hit that price point. At around 700 you'd have more options.

I did once buy a used projector from my school's computer recycling center. It was 25 bucks so I was didn't care too much. It worked okay but due to the age the blues were faded and I just couldn't get them more saturated. But for 25 bucks, I just used it for a couple of months.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, used projectors can be a crap shoot. Best to avoid them. And wyen78 makes a very good point. If you're on a tight budget, then you're not prepared for the added cost of replacement lamps. And on those, you want to be sure you're buying OEM lamps, not some cheaper generic or so-called "compatible" lamp. Many have tried to save a few bucks that way and ended wasting their time and money.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
please look at the led projectors lg pa70g , lg hw300g , acer k330 and the clones of this , not as bright as a normal bulb projectors but 20000 hours life , 3 second on/off less power and heat. Lg pa70g goes on sale somtimes all of these are well known and under 500
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page