Dust blobs on Panny - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I currently have a Panasonic AE4000 and I have been very happy with the unit. I have had it about 2 years. The only issue I have is constantly cleaning out dust particles that create dark spots on the screen. It would not be so bad except I have to take the lower bracket off every time which is a royal pain. At this point I am ready to move on and buy another unit.

I am sure this has been discussed, is there any unit that is 3.5k and under that has a "sealed" lens area? I would even buy the new Panny if it was sealed off from dust. Are all units experiencing this problem?

My room is totally dark, Carada 126, 16 ft throw. I usually change the bulbs at 1200 hours running in normal mode. I do need lens shift as the projector is hanging down from the center of the ceiling about 5 inches.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
SUBSCRIBED! I've been meaning to start a similar thread myself. I've had 2 AE4000's. The first was totally infested with dust in the light path. However, I watched it while contructing my theater, so I chalked it up to my stupidity. Now, my second one is showing a few dust blobs and I never had it during construction. I use good filters in the HVAC, and don't have dust issues elsewhere in the room. I'm a bit pissed actually.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Right although I would not consider my environment dust free you would think a sand storm was passing through. They said they would warranty the unit for this! I can't imagine sending it in every time just to get cleaned.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had similar problems years ago with a Sony LCD projector; every 2-3 months I had to clean out the entire optical path with compressed air. I switched to an Optoma DLP (sealed light path) and never saw a dust blob again during the next three years. I think all DLP's may have sealed optics - but don't know for sure.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

I had similar problems years ago with a Sony LCD projector; every 2-3 months I had to clean out the entire optical path with compressed air. I switched to an Optoma DLP (sealed light path) and never saw a dust blob again during the next three years. I think all DLP's may have sealed optics - but don't know for sure.

Thanks for the replay, looking for more. Are all DLP sealed?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
While most DLP units are sealed light path you can still obtain dust blobs, it will just be far less likely versus most LCD units.

I have had had two different DLP projectors with internal dust in the light path and I currently own a Panasonic AE4000 that has a 'blue' dust blob.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

While most DLP units are sealed light path you can still obtain dust blobs, it will just be far less likely versus most LCD units.

I have had had two different DLP projectors with internal dust in the light path and I currently own a Panasonic AE4000 that has a 'blue' dust blob.

Jason

Jason I often read you posts thanks for the info. Do I basically just need to deal with it then? I guess in some way it is better to be able to blow out the dust then have it sealed and have dust blobs.
Do have any information about the new Panny having this issue? I have seen a lot of good reviews about the unit but must do not contain these details.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Find the projectors fan/air input channels/ They will be around where the filters are. Go to wally world or an automotive store and look in the auto air filter section. There will be dozens of size and shaped model filters all for pretty cheap prices
. Find the one that looks like it will fit over the projectors air intakes. You can use double backed carpet tape and or duct style tape to mount the new filter on the outside of the projector. This will pre screen a lot of the dust that gets sucked into the projectors optical cooling system so it can still get plenty of air flow. This should save you from having to clean the optical system that often.

Bohanna
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
However, do NOT forget to check those filters and clean them as necessary. If they get clogged with dust and no longer pass air, the fans will pull air from anywhere it can; case seams, connection ports, ANY opening in the case. I had a projector on my bench a few years ago that had not seen ANY maintenance and was used in an unclean environment. Every crack and all the unused connection ports were caked with dust. Needless to say, it was filthy inside.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page