Can bulb be going bad even if projector says there is 35% life left? VP4001 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My VP4001 has served my well for the last 6+ years, but it has recently stopped working. I am only on my second bulb (only use it occasionally) and according to the projector, the bulb has about 35% lamp life left. I am curious to know a couple of things:

- The projector powers own, I get one solid green light and one flashing green light. After some time, the flashing green turns to a solid red light and nothing further happens. According to Marantz, this means that the bulb needs to be replaced? Is this possible? The bulb indicator shows 35% life left (got this right before it stopped working)....is it possible that need a new bulb when the indicator says I have 35% left?

- The projector is almost 7 years old....does it make sense to replace the bulb? Even if the problem is the bulb, how much life can I expect out of the color wheel or other components? Don't want to drop a couple of hunderd dollars on a new bulb if something else is likely at the end of its expeted life.

- If I did decide to upgrade from this projector....how much better have the projectors in the sub $3000 range gotten. I see lots of talk on the BenQ W1070, how would this compare to the Marantz VP4001. Also curious to compare the VP4001 vs the Panasonic PT-AE7000U & PT-AE8000U & PT-AR100U (or if there is another procector that is worthy of consideration, would love to hear about that as well)

- Where is the cheapest/reliable place to get a replacement bulb?

Thanks in advance.ReplyQuote Multi 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
1. Bulbs can go bad at any time. They only post the estimated life span.

2. In its price range the Benq 1070 is a great buy. This price and quality was unheard of a few years ago. The Panasonics AE7000U and especially the AE8000U will give you better blacks but cost much more. I would think that the Benq is a better buy than the AR100u. I have not seen much info on the Marantz but it is in a different price range than the Benq. You could also add Epson to the mix. The question is how much do you want to spend. The reason why the Benq has generated so much interest is because it is one of the lowest price projectors with 1080p that can also do 3D. The MSP is 1099 and I am sure if you look around it might be had for just about $1,000.