About to buy a USED Benq W6000 tonight. What should I look out for? Any issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm going to view it tonight, and the buyer is going to give me a brand new lamp with it as well. I have 2 concerns...

1) What should I look out for in a used PJ? How do I test it? It will have the old bulb inside it, and the guy said when he turns it on, it says to replace lamp. The new one, he will order after confirmation of purchase, or he'll take the price of a lamp off the selling price. I read about some issues with the iris or dynamic contrast (something about being too loud, or brightness levels "pump" sometimes to reach the desired brightness).

2) Will it even fill my custom made 108" screen from a distance of about 14ft? (give or take 2 inches...'m not home right now). I used the calculator on projector central and it says i need 12' 10". Even if i push the PJ right up against the back wall, I'm still cutting it really really close...like inches. Are the calculators accurate on that site? The Benq website calculator just confused me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

I'm going to view it tonight, and the buyer is going to give me a brand new lamp with it as well. I have 2 concerns...

1) What should I look out for in a used PJ? How do I test it? It will have the old bulb inside it, and the guy said when he turns it on, it says to replace lamp. The new one, he will order after confirmation of purchase, or he'll take the price of a lamp off the selling price. I read about some issues with the iris or dynamic contrast (something about being too loud, or brightness levels "pump" sometimes to reach the desired brightness).

2) Will it even fill my custom made 108" screen from a distance of about 14ft? (give or take 2 inches...'m not home right now). I used the calculator on projector central and it says i need 12' 10". Even if i push the PJ right up against the back wall, I'm still cutting it really really close...like inches. Are the calculators accurate on that site? The Benq website calculator just confused me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i would never buy a used projector without warranty
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

i would never buy a used projector without warranty

For what reason? Especially since it comes with a new lamp. What else can go wrong with it, and how much would a "costly" repair be?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Will you be able to see the picture? You want to be able to see if there are any issues with the picture. There is alot more to go wrong with a PJ other than the bulb. Go read the w6000 thread and see if you can sort out what the common issues are.

I have bought a used PJ and it has served me well. Just make sure you are getting a good deal and that there are no day one issues with it. I think some people use Square trade to warranty used PJs.

What you want to be sure is that the seller is not just hiding an issue by saying a new bulb is needed.

The used risk is you get it, it is awesome then 6 months from now you have an issue that costs you $$$. Just know what the risks are. If you buy new you get X number of years of warranty. PJ's don't last forever, this forum is filled with examples of how PJs die.

Have Fun!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

For what reason? Especially since it comes with a new lamp. What else can go wrong with it, and how much would a "costly" repair be?

for what reason? the color wheel goes bad then what?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I will be able to see the picture, but on the old lamp...(which according to the seller is still quite bright). I am a little nervous about this, but will be getting a killer deal for a very nice PJ. tough call
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM

For a lot of electronics I have no issues buying used. TVs, receivers, speakers, game systems. I wouldn't buy a used projector unless it was dirt cheap. Projectors, compared to most of the electronics covered in avs forums, are dainty things.

It's basically a box with optics and electronics that gets really hot and has a fan that pulls all the dust in your room through it.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

what else can go wrong with a projector that is 2 years old? The color wheel? Don't most people's projectors last like 5 years plus? Not sure if I should get this?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page