Release date of the BenQ w1080st & First Reviews - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Slight update to my latest purchase, so I turned on my new 1.04 projector from amazon. I guess the alignment has changed between revisions perhaps? As I couldn't get it to lineup with my "mock" screen placement. Considering my screen hasn't arrived or been mounted yet, I guess that's fine Lol.

But the D3 Benq glasses, seriously people spend the money and get these. Brightness was second to none, much better experience than the cheap SainSonic glasses. It looked just as good with the glasses off for contrast/brightness as they did with them on. A+ in my books.

IMAX Blu-rays look amazing, especially the intro. I had my 60in Sony TV with Active aswell, but that intro just never had the pop that it did in the theaters. What a difference the DLP 3d/Bigger screen is. biggrin.gif

Given that no one has responded to my rambling, hopefully someone will take my information as useful Lol
ssaeed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Klownicle.

Thanks for the feedback...I just got my projector from Amazon and it has 1.04 firmware as well. Will purchase the Benq glasses based on your feedback...thanks for posting!

Sal
post #543 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post

Hi guys, just got the projector a few days ago. I have a few concerns though, I was inspecting the front of the lens today and noticed this, is this a problem? is that a crack around the housing or just glue?

Mine looks the same, I returned the first one. Just got the second one today, it is the same thing...Is it normal? Thx

post #544 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi22 View Post

Hi, i hear there is a new firmware for the 1080st. Is this correct (not the1.04).
And were can i find this ?
The 1070 have also new firmware.
Thanks.

You can find it here.

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/

username:1070

Password;password

post #545 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow521 View Post

Mine looks the same, I returned the first one. Just got the second one today, it is the same thing...Is it normal? Thx

I received my projector on Sunday and it has the same issue on the lens....I don't think it's anything to be concerned about as its on the perimeter of the lens.
post #546 of 661 Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am experiencing a random problem with my w1080st, from time to time while watching something or gaming, the screen will go black and it will go searching for 'source' as if its lost its HDMI connection to the receiver. My projector is on 1.02 firmware and is connected to my receiver via a 50 ft HDMI cable using redmere technology. Is this a known problem that is resolved via a firmware update or should I look at replacing the cable?
post #547 of 661 Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM

I have sometimes the same problem. Also with the 1.02 version. I think its gone with a new version.
Maybee i send my 1080 back to Benq, because i have notice, the right half is a little bit darker than the other half.
Did someone noticed the same.? I am sure, at the first time i have the projektor ( 3 month ago) i dont have this problem.
You can see this very good on a flat color, also in the 3D modus, the red on the left side is darker.
What to do?

I
post #548 of 661 Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 AM

My VisualApex Electric 106in screen arrives today! Assuming my brother doesn't miss the package... then i'll finally be able to see the W1080ST in all its glory... pending lighting issues :x

Note to anyone getting from Visual Apex, call Vapex and ask them for the screen tracking reference material. Then call the number a day before its scheduled to arrive and ask to schedule the delivery. :-D

I painted my walls a dark green over the weekend, haven't done the ceiling yet, as of now its white. At least with a white "not matte" wall, its still not perfect. May have to do my ceiling depending on how the screen looks. :-/
post #549 of 661 Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I've been enjoying me 1080ST on 120 inch Elite screen for a month in my living room.My wife loves it too.

I moved  it to a dedicated room last night .The room is 10 X10 small with white ceiling and very light brown walls.

My living room where i used the projector the first month is big and with 20 feet high ceiling.The $900 BenQ gave me a fantastic picture It looked like a gigantic plasma tv.

Overlooking the fact, that the new and smaller room is not dark painted I am underwhelmed with the picture. Colors are washed out and blacks are not as good as they were in the big room.My new room is otherwise totally dark without any windows.I am new to the projection world so I didn't know any better.

I am going to paint the whole room in something dark.Any suggestions for color?

post #550 of 661 Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post

I've been enjoying me 1080ST on 120 inch Elite screen for a month in my living room.My wife loves it too.
 I moved  it to a dedicated room last night .The room is 10 X10 small with white ceiling and very light brown walls.
My living room where i used the projector the first month is big and with 20 feet high ceiling.The $900 BenQ gave me a fantastic picture It looked like a gigantic plasma tv.
Overlooking the fact, that the new and smaller room is not dark painted I am underwhelmed with the picture. Colors are washed out and blacks are not as good as they were in the big room.My new room is otherwise totally dark without any windows.I am new to the projection world so I didn't know any better.
I am going to paint the whole room in something dark.Any suggestions for color?

I used Home Depot Behr flat paints:
  • Ceiling - space black
  • screen wall and opposing wall - slate black
  • Side walls - distant thunder.
  • trim & doors - space black flat enamel (cleans up)
post #551 of 661 Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks, Vidkidd.

I was thinking black, too.

post #552 of 661 Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM

I have successfully updated by W1080ST to firmware 1.05 without any issues.

Confirmed to be working fine, need to explore more for any visible improvements
post #553 of 661 Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM

What are the changes in 1.05 firmware?
post #554 of 661 Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM

I'm having issues getting proper pixel alignment with my w1080st.
Basically, the signal's pixel grid is not lined up with the display's pixel grid.

I am connected via HDMI from a PC.
(Same connection that I used with the GT720 - which did not experience this issue)

To give an analogy:
The screen looks like an LCD monitor when connected via an analog D-sub15 (VGA), but before hitting the 'calibrate' function - so the pixels are all 'misaligned'.
So some lines look sharp, some look too thick, and text is simply harder to read than it should be.
OSD is not affected - only the signal content.

I checked every digital scaling option, and everything is zero'd out (no scaling).

Quite frustratingly, so long as I can't resolve this issue, the net effect is that the 1280x780 GT720 has a clearer image than the 1080p w1080st.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions/fixes/whatever, let me know.

(video card is an HD5990, via dvi->hdmi cable)

-scheherazade
post #555 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 AM

Firmware 1.04

ISF Night setting can’t be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
To keep lamp hour after “reset all setting in USE OSD”
To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
Modify picture mode of “power off” icon
Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

Firmware 1.05
- Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal.
- Add 3D support timing: 1080p 60Hz SBS

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: can’t turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit can’t
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaeed View Post

What are the changes in 1.05 firmware?
post #556 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 AM

Thanks rajudhs!! smile.gif

This firmware is perfect for me!! New 3D mode at 1080P and the fix to the greenish problem!
I will upgrade my VPR this week end!! smile.gif
post #557 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post

I'm having issues getting proper pixel alignment with my w1080st.
Basically, the signal's pixel grid is not lined up with the display's pixel grid.

I am connected via HDMI from a PC.
(Same connection that I used with the GT720 - which did not experience this issue)

To give an analogy:
The screen looks like an LCD monitor when connected via an analog D-sub15 (VGA), but before hitting the 'calibrate' function - so the pixels are all 'misaligned'.
So some lines look sharp, some look too thick, and text is simply harder to read than it should be.
OSD is not affected - only the signal content.

I checked every digital scaling option, and everything is zero'd out (no scaling).

Quite frustratingly, so long as I can't resolve this issue, the net effect is that the 1280x780 GT720 has a clearer image than the 1080p w1080st.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions/fixes/whatever, let me know.

(video card is an HD5990, via dvi->hdmi cable)

-scheherazade

Are you having this issue with any source or just your PC?

this sounds like the inconsistent focus issue that is more common with the 1080st due to it's short throw lens.

Regards,

Douce

post #558 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 AM

scheherazade, check also the video settings on the PC!

You can unistall the video card and install it again with the latest AMD drivers, and you can also perform the upgrade of the VPR to the last firmware
post #559 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 AM

I have a Question , I have the w1080st (Firmware 1.04) and really like it. I plugged the settings that were on this thread and it looks great. I was thinking of upgrading the firmware, but afraid something might go wrong. Also if i do upgrade the firmware how does one go about it ?. I do have a PC connected via HDMI. thanks
post #560 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM

service manual at below, has detailed instructions for reference with screen shots.
https://docs.google.com/folderview?pli=1&docId=0B_xTFybwtlbvTHFqclRLU3pBNlk&id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

Copy pasting the instructions from this forum again:

If one wants to do the update I suggest doing it using a standard to min B cable. using USB. This update cannon be installed from a thumb drive. The full instructions are in the service manual from the link above.

1. Write down all your settings before starting an update. (If you do not you will loose all your settings)
2. I suggest that you create a new folder on your desktop called 1070 firmware in the new folder.
3. Download the download tool and unzip it to the new folder.
4. Download the new separate 106 img file to the same folder from the link above.
5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer. Also download the Flash Device Parameters file.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer on your C drive.) Use Copy and paste. The folder you want to paste this file to will be on the c drive after you install DLP composer.
6. Open the DLP Composer tool and go to edit, preferences.
7. When the window opens go to communication and set it to USB
8. Close this window and click on flash loader on the opening screen. A window will open.
8. Change the mark to Complete Image Download Put check in Skip Boot loader area Change 32Kb
9. On the top of the flash loader hit the browse button and go to your folder 106 img file.
10. Insert the USB cable in the min plug on the projector and into your computer. (Wait for the drivers to load. This should take a minute with windows 7 or 8
11. Unplug the projector and push the power and auto buttons at the same time. Plug in the projector while holding the buttons. The LED on the projector will turn red if you are in download mode (It must turn red to install the firmware. If it turns orange do this again until you only get the red led) This is very important.
12 Hit the Reset Bus and Start Download. The upgrade process should take about 5 minutes. A timer will start telling you how long it will take.
13. Do not unplug anything during the process. When everything completes the LED on the projector will turn to standby orange.
14. Unplug the USB cable and turn the projector on
15 You will have to put all your settings back in and turn source select to auto
16. Instructions are also available in the service manual PDF you downloaded to your folder.
17. Only do this upgrade at your own risk and if you are familiar with doing firmware updates..
18. You do not need the service tool to do the firmware update the firmware and write down your settings.

Please pay attention to Highlighted BLUE text above, which is imp and if missed can brick your PJ

Below is the firmware Version 1.04 & 1.05 for W1080ST
You can find it here.
ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/

User Name: 1080
Password: password
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 View Post

I have a Question , I have the w1080st (Firmware 1.04) and really like it. I plugged the settings that were on this thread and it looks great. I was thinking of upgrading the firmware, but afraid something might go wrong. Also if i do upgrade the firmware how does one go about it ?. I do have a PC connected via HDMI. thanks
post #561 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

"Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal."

Can someone explain that? The greenish problem part?

Also, just an update. Painted my walls and ceiling a flat Chard green by Behr. Came out quite well, the black level is acceptable. My room is basically 14x14x12ft I think, so quite small. My VisualApex screen arrived and was setup as well. Overall I'm quite happy with the little money I spent and the outcome I received. I played some Mortal Kombat 9 on the PC and it looked amazing Lol. If that "greenish" problem is anything I need to worry about (I have 1.04), looks like I'll have my first firmware upgrade to try out.
post #562 of 661 Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post

"Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal."

Can someone explain that? The greenish problem part?

Also, just an update. Painted my walls and ceiling a flat Chard green by Behr. Came out quite well, the black level is acceptable. My room is basically 14x14x12ft I think, so quite small. My VisualApex screen arrived and was setup as well. Overall I'm quite happy with the little money I spent and the outcome I received. I played some Mortal Kombat 9 on the PC and it looked amazing Lol. If that "greenish" problem is anything I need to worry about (I have 1.04), looks like I'll have my first firmware upgrade to try out.

yes i would like to know this also. I'm wondering if its even worth upgrading from 1.04 to 1.05

thanks

by the way , thanks for posting the firmware upgrade procedure, that does look scary...i think i'll leave well enough alone, lol
post #563 of 661 Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douce33 View Post

Are you having this issue with any source or just your PC?
this sounds like the inconsistent focus issue that is more common with the 1080st due to it's short throw lens.

I tried a laptop, and it had the same issue. (Granted both are ATI sources)

I am aware of how the center requires slightly different focus adjustment than the edges (GT720 is actually very focus consistent by comparison).

This is not a focus issue, though.
The focus is good enough to clearly see the screen door effect between the pixels.

The problem is that [single pixel wide] vertical lines are showing up on the PJ as sometimes 1 pixel wide, sometimes 2 pixels wide, depending on where exactly the line is located (i.e. sometimes the 1 pixel wide line is located 'in-between' pixels, making it display as 2 pixels wide on the PJ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djufuk87 View Post

scheherazade, check also the video settings on the PC!

You can unistall the video card and install it again with the latest AMD drivers, and you can also perform the upgrade of the VPR to the last firmware

I will be updating the video drivers tonight.

I will also likely hook up an nvidia source to see if it's any better.

If that doesn't help, I'll try newer firmware (it came with 1.0.3).

Anyone have an "official" source for the firmware updates?
A random file sharing site, or some guy's home FTP server, don't exactly give one the feeling of security, when any exe can be infested.

-scheherazade
post #564 of 661 Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Does anyone know what the size of the 12V screen trigger port is on the back of the 1080? I received a remote screen trigger with my projection screen from visualapex that plugs into this port but because of it's width wont sit all the way in. I need to get a extension cable to plug into the back of the Benq and have the remote trigger plug into this cable...wondering what size plug I need.
post #565 of 661 Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaeed View Post

Does anyone know what the size of the 12V screen trigger port is on the back of the 1080? I received a remote screen trigger with my projection screen from visualapex that plugs into this port but because of it's width wont sit all the way in. I need to get a extension cable to plug into the back of the Benq and have the remote trigger plug into this cable...wondering what size plug I need.

I don't own this unit but generally the 12V trigger port on projectors accept the 3.5mm (1/8") plug. If you have a spare 3.5mm cable lying around try it for size.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #566 of 661 Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm very intrigued about the firmware fix for the "greenish problem". I just got my pj last week (1.04fw) and tried a few of the recommended settings and to me everything has a "jaundiced" look to it, so I guess that's what it is? Is this a problem only with the short throw model?

Anyone spend some time with 1.05 yet?
post #567 of 661 Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM

I got mine with 1.03 FW and I can't see anything greenish.It is set in Cinema with Cool Lamp Temperature.I run it in Smart eco.

Picture is just awesome.

post #568 of 661 Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

^Yeah, I ended up changing the color temp to "cool" and that certainly helped things, but does make the whites a little bluish. The "Withers" and the S&V settings both used "normal" temp and that had the greenish/yellowish look on everything.
post #569 of 661 Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM

I have this projector and when I watch tv (1080i) on this projector, the images look very pixelated and unfocused when seeing a large image of say a football game, but it appears clear when zoomed up on the players. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it if possible? Thanks.
post #570 of 661 Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 AM

If the VPR focus is properly adjusted the problem is not the Benq, but probably the video source.

Yesterday I upgraded my VPR from the version 1.2 to the version 1.5 with the USB and all is perfect now!!
Thanks for the firmware link!! smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page