post #631 of 663 Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ear4hire View Post

Okay looking for some help from my fellow 1080st owners. So after testing out my 106 inch BOC screen i've decided to go with an larger screen. Problem projector mount. Floor to ceiling is only 7' 6" , so what mount will work for me. I plan on a 120" or 130 screen size and do not want the screen sitting on the floor. The center of the lens needs to be three inches from the top of the screen, right? So what low profile mount will work for me? I hear the Chief RPMAU is a very good mount, but will it work for my application?

So any input would greatly help. Like what mount are you using? Do you like it? Pro and cons.

I have the Chief RPAU and it works great. I only have 7 foot ceilings and I believe the border, not the screen, is around 3 inches away from the ceiling. I would have to measure it though to be exact on that. The Chief mounts are built like a rock so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 663 Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

I have the Chief RPAU and it works great. I only have 7 foot ceilings and I believe the border, not the screen, is around 3 inches away from the ceiling. I would have to measure it though to be exact on that. The Chief mounts are built like a rock so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.

What size screen do you have,what kind is it, and how far is it from the floor?

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #633 of 663 Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What size screen do you have,what kind is it, and how far is it from the floor?

I have a 120" screen. It's made out of blackout cloth. My screen isn't on the wall right now because we had water in our basement. Had to install a sump pump and just finished putting up new drywall. My guess is that the screen is around 17-20" from the floor.
post #634 of 663 Old 05-28-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
The RPMAU has a stack height of about 4 inches or so. I will go measure it with the universal mount if I can and see if I can give you an exact figure.

I use the RPAU on my W1070 as it has a lower stack height and I have the projector in a tight space on a lift so it made more sense, but the RPMAU is far better than the RPAU.

Call it 5" stack height + 3" to the center of the lens. That's 8" from ceiling to center of the lens.

130" screen size... which is 64" tall. (5'4")

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=7&id_=130&l_=0

That puts the top of the screen 10" from the ceiling, and the bottom of the screen 16" from the floor, which is a pretty respectable height considering you want your eyes about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen for comfortable viewing.

The RPMAU will work and is a better mount, the RPAU will get it an inch or two higher, but is more difficult to adjust. Both mounts can be bolted directly to a stud in the ceiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #635 of 663 Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Well I'll give the RPAU mount a try. Only ordered it because the RPMAU was not amazon prime eligible. I don't think it will matter either way since I have no other mount to compare it to, so for me it will be the norm when it comes to set up. Plan on hooking everything up on Saturday if it all arrives on time. Maybe this time I'll try and slow down and get some pictures, I'll mount the projector first then build and mount the new screen to match.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #636 of 663 Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I'll give the RPAU mount a try. Only ordered it because the RPMAU was not amazon prime eligible. I don't think it will matter either way since I have no other mount to compare it to, so for me it will be the norm when it comes to set up. Plan on hooking everything up on Saturday if it all arrives on time. Maybe this time I'll try and slow down and get some pictures, I'll mount the projector first then build and mount the new screen to match.

It's a great mount. I think you will be plenty satisfied. And once you get that installed, build your screen, and finally sit back and watch...my oh my...you will be pleased smile.gif
post #637 of 663 Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Okay looking for some help from my fellow 1080st owners. So after testing out my 106 inch BOC screen i've decided to go with an larger screen. Problem projector mount. Floor to ceiling is only 7' 6" , so what mount will work for me. I plan on a 120" or 130 screen size and do not want the screen sitting on the floor. The center of the lens needs to be three inches from the top of the screen, right? So what low profile mount will work for me? I hear the Chief RPMAU is a very good mount, but will it work for my application?

So any input would greatly help. Like what mount are you using? Do you like it? Pro and cons.
I went with this mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1VZMBS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Low profile, able to snake the cables up through the mount and into the ceiling, and you have a bit of flexibility shifting the projector up and down when aiming it at your screen. I've had no issues with it.
post #638 of 663 Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Looking to buy a emergency bulb for my 1080 just in case something happens. What that will be? I dont know, just seems like a good idea to have one. How much are they and what places/website sell them. Not the knock offs but the OEM bulbs.

Abraham Lincoln.
post #639 of 663 Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Looking to buy a emergency bulb for my 1080 just in case something happens. What that will be? I dont know, just seems like a good idea to have one. How much are they and what places/website sell them. Not the knock offs but the OEM bulbs.

The official part no is 5J.J7L05.001. Would recommend getting it straight from BenQ (shop link: here) if possible. Alternatively Provantage stocks the originals (here) at a bit cheaper than BenQ themselves. Both of these include full housings. I'd avoid going the generic 'OEM-without-original-housing' route since it's almost impossible to guarantee that an original OEM is what you'll actually get (we didn't have great luck trying this route, discussion here).
silencio00 likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #640 of 663 Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, I can only turn on and power off mine manually. I dont know why I cant switch it on or off with the remote! Can anyone help!?!?!
post #641 of 663 Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachmanowicz View Post

Hey, I can only turn on and power off mine manually. I dont know why I cant switch it on or off with the remote! Can anyone help!?!?!

I ran into the same problem, I tried fresh batteries and one other trick I used when my tv remote stopped working, but i've had no luck.

There doesnt seem to be much out there by way of Google either, let me know if you get it working again......it's pretty annoying

Regards,

Douce

post #642 of 663 Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM

That's really odd. I'm calling BenQ, I'll tell you what I got.
post #643 of 663 Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 AM

Ok, got a response: the remote is defective. Call BenQ and they'll ship you a brand new one. Im not so lucky cause Im in Brazil...
post #644 of 663 Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachmanowicz View Post
Ok, got a response: the remote is defective. Call BenQ and they'll ship you a brand new one. Im not so lucky cause Im in Brazil...
I was afraid of that for only one reason, when I first got my projector it was defective so I sent it back and when they sent me a new one it came with a larger backlit remote instead of the small one with no lights....was hoping I could keep it but I guess a remote with no back light is better than a remote that doesn't work lol

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Regards,

Douce

Last edited by Douce33; 06-13-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #645 of 663 Old 06-14-2014, 03:47 PM

If shipping to/from BenQ isn't viable, you could replace the defective remote with a Harmony universal remote: the W1070 is supported. They're normally good remotes (I've used them in the past) and lower end models aren't expensive. Check here:
http://myremotesetup.com/

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #646 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douce33 View Post
I was afraid of that for only one reason, when I first got my projector it was defective so I sent it back and when they sent me a new one it came with a larger backlit remote instead of the small one with no lights....was hoping I could keep it but I guess a remote with no back light is better than a remote that doesn't work lol

Ok well I emailed BenQ and they said the issue was the remote control and they would send me a new one, great!
I was expecting to receive this one in the mail:

But instead I received the backlit remote that I was worried I would lose, which is this one:

Did anyone else receive this remote with this projector?
the first unit I sent back had the little remote and when I rec'd my second unit it came with the backlit remote, any thoughts on why?

Regards,

Douce

post #647 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Did anyone else receive this remote with this projector?
the first unit I sent back had the little remote and when I rec'd my second unit it came with the backlit remote, any thoughts on why?
BenQ is only using the backlit remote now from what I understand. So, if you get a remote, it should always be the newest version. New projectors that are most recently manufactured have the backlit remote. Older models, and possibly refurb units will have the older small remote.

Nice small upgrade to get that backlit remote in place of the small remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #648 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM

BenQ now ships the backlit one standard with all new W1070's and W1080's. They've probably ceased production of the old one.

I use the new backlit one successfully and way prefer it. Range is as good as the old one.

post #649 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
BenQ is only using the backlit remote now from what I understand. So, if you get a remote, it should always be the newest version. New projectors that are most recently manufactured have the backlit remote. Older models, and possibly refurb units will have the older small remote.

Nice small upgrade to get that backlit remote in place of the small remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
BenQ now ships the backlit one standard with all new W1070's and W1080's. They've probably ceased production of the old one.

I use the new backlit one successfully and way prefer it. Range is as good as the old one.
Thats great to hear, thats why I was hesitant to call BenQ and exchange remotes, I didnt want to get stuck with the old one again.
The Backlit remote is MUCH better than the smaller one, and not just because of the backlight, there are more shortcut buttons that I use all the time as well

Regards,

Douce

post #650 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The Backlit remote is MUCH better than the smaller one, and not just because of the backlight, there are more shortcut buttons that I use all the time as well

Absolutely. I do miss the SmartEco button on the old one for changing lamp modes in a hurry, though!

post #651 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Absolutely. I do miss the SmartEco button on the old one for changing lamp modes in a hurry, though!
Totally agree but that is theonly button I miss

Regards,

Douce

post #652 of 663 Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Liked: 12
I kinda prefer the smaller remote, possibly because that's all I've have.
post #653 of 663 Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 AM

Liked: 0
First projector

Hello everyone. This is my first projector purchase and I've read through this forum and several others and I have a couple of questions for everyone. Here's a little background on my current setup.

I currently own a Samsung LN52A850 52-Inch which I've purchased 4-5 years ago. We've just recently (approx 1 week ago) moved into a home with a finished basement so I now have room for a projector setup. The room is approx. 12' X 20', I will place our seating around the 12-13' mark. I've been looking into a short throw projector so the projector could be closer to the screen for things like PS move. Also this would mean the projector would not be directly over head which will help with the louder levels I've heard this projector can create.

Now for my questions.

1# I see many mounts suggested, but I would like to clarify a few things. I understand 1080st does not have any lens shift so I will need to mount the projector as center as possible. If this isn't possible are there any mounts available that can slide left to right & height ?

2# I've read in BENQ W1080ST focus problem? about a focus problem. I didn't see anything really mentioned in this thread and see this was an older post. So Do I need to follow the steps mentioned in that forum (largest image zoom). ? And how best do you focus a projector ?

3# I will be purchasing a screen as well once I've determined the appropriate screen size (projector should be here this friday). So my question is what type of black levels do I except ? The current LN52A850 I have was a CFL black-lit and thus was extremely uneven but levels were modest.

4# Any other tips and tricks that anyone can toss my way will be appreciated.

Last edited by jetway1122; 06-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.
post #654 of 663 Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway1122 View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first projector purchase and I've read through this forum and several others and I have a couple of questions for everyone. Here's a little background on my current setup.

I currently own a Samsung LN52A850 52-Inch which I've purchased 4-5 years ago. We've just recently (approx 1 week ago) moved into a home with a finished basement so I now have room for a projector setup. The room is approx. 12' X 20', I will place our seating around the 12-13' mark. I've been looking into a short throw projector so the projector could be closer to the screen for things like PS move. Also this would mean the projector would not be directly over head which will help with the louder levels I've heard this projector can create.

Now for my questions.

1# I see many mounts suggested, but I would like to clarify a few things. I understand 1080st does not have any lens shift so I will need to mount the projector as center as possible. If this isn't possible are there any mounts available that can slide left to right & height ?

2# I've read in BENQ W1080ST focus problem? about a focus problem. I didn't see anything really mentioned in this thread and see this was an older post. So Do I need to follow the steps mentioned in that forum (largest image zoom). ? And how best do you focus a projector ?

3# I will be purchasing a screen as well once I've determined the appropriate screen size (projector should be here this friday). So my question is what type of black levels do I except ? The current LN52A850 I have was a CFL black-lit and thus was extremely uneven but levels were modest.

4# Any other tips and tricks that anyone can toss my way will be appreciated.
1. Correct. The 1080ST does not have lens shift. You just need to do some measuring and then it can work just fine. Get a mount with good adjustment options. Stick with a Chief Mount (RPAU, for example, and you're good to go)

2. I think some were having hotspot and focus issues, but I believe it's been fixed with the firmware. The offset of the projector, due to the lens optics, has less room for error.

3. Black levels are fairly decent with this caliber of projector. Again, black levels are contingent upon the makeup of your room. You will get better black levels if you have controlled lighting, dark walls and ceiling, dark carpet, dark furniture, etc etc...

4. If you are brave enough and want to save some cash, you could build your screen to your liking. I was able to build it mostly myself, but needed an extra hand when mounting it and nailing in the border.
post #655 of 663 Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 AM

Hi guys,

this is my first post here but i've been reading for quite a while.
I've been looking for a while now on which beamer i should buy. Most important things for are:
- Has to have short throw
- Budget of aprox 1000$
- Pretty portable (usage at work for gaming & take it with me to friends), so it can't be too big or too heavy, and produce a "decent" sound. I know i can't expect too much from that.

Combining those things, i have learned that probably my only good option is the w1080st, for it's great price/image quality/short throw/...

The only reason why i still have doubts is because the w1080st has actually already been released 18 months ago, and i don't want to buy something which may soon has a new successor. I've been looking around a bit though, and i haven't seen any indications of a new model of BenQ with full hd & short throw. On the other hand, i can easily still wait a few more months. I don't need a new projector urgently.

Is there anyone here who can help me make up my mind? Maybe i've even been looking over some new or soon to be released model.

thanks in adance
post #656 of 663 Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdv View Post
Hi guys,

this is my first post here but i've been reading for quite a while.
I've been looking for a while now on which beamer i should buy. Most important things for are:
- Has to have short throw
- Budget of aprox 1000$
- Pretty portable (usage at work for gaming & take it with me to friends), so it can't be too big or too heavy, and produce a "decent" sound. I know i can't expect too much from that.

Combining those things, i have learned that probably my only good option is the w1080st, for it's great price/image quality/short throw/...

The only reason why i still have doubts is because the w1080st has actually already been released 18 months ago, and i don't want to buy something which may soon has a new successor. I've been looking around a bit though, and i haven't seen any indications of a new model of BenQ with full hd & short throw. On the other hand, i can easily still wait a few more months. I don't need a new projector urgently.

Is there anyone here who can help me make up my mind? Maybe i've even been looking over some new or soon to be released model.

thanks in adance
There's always something new coming over the horizon. You have to ask yourself if what you want now will do everything you want it to do at the right price. If the answer is yes, there's no reason to wait.
post #657 of 663 Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM

I have a question to you, i would upgrade my 1080st. But i cant get to download mode. plugged off from power cord, holding power+auto plug in, and led turns green and beamer boots up. whats going wrong
post #658 of 663 Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Hey guys,

So I've been using the Epson 8350 for the last 2 1/2 years and love it. We just moved and the new theater room isn't as deep as it used to be. It's about 8' to the screen and we have a 110" Elite Screen. The Epson only fills about 75% of it so I'm looking to sell and replace it.

This is the projector that I think I've settled on, but I've read some reviews that say that when you have it in "small picture mode" (Which I think I would fall under since I'm at an awkward distance for a short throw with my screen size), the picture isn't uniformly in focus.

Anyone have any insight for what I'd be in for? I've used the calculator on Benq's site and at a 1.00x zoom I'm not in a good spot.

Thanks!
BC
post #659 of 663 Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 AM

Firmware update link

Hi guys,

First post here. I'm keen to update my W1080ST firmware to version 1.05 but can't get the link previously posted in this forum to work.

Has anyone else had success with the link lately?

It's at:
ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/

and the username was given as: 1080
and the password as: password

I suspect the username or password have changed but I can't rule out some computer problem at my end.

Either way, I'd be very grateful if anyone could recommend a way to get my hands on the v1.05 firmware.

Thanks.
post #660 of 663 Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM

yes..also here needed please.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version