post #91 of 659 Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinityCycle View Post

Hi all. I joined the forum just to post in this thread. I recently got a nice new apartment with my lady friend, and as a result, a whole new family room to set up. The wall where the screen goes is 20 feet wide by 8 feet tall, so my current 40" TV looks comically small, and to say that the viewing experience is "sub-optimal" is something of an understatement. A Woot sale of a projector got me seriously thinking about projection as my new home theater solution, which naturally led me to this particular device.

My space is just about 20 feet wide, 16 feet deep, with an 8 foot ceiling. I am a n00b when it comes to this stuff so please tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a 100" diagonal picture centered up on the 20 by 8 wall, with a viewing distance of about 12 feet would be "the sweet spot" for the room.

Complicating matters slightly, the screen would / will be primarily used to watch HD video content, but also for gaming. At this point I have very little interest in 3D and do no planning on using this feature, nor do I plan on doing any image processing within the projector (I use a purpose-built computer for media playback, and it does a fine job of making sure everything coming out of it is 1080P/60 looking good. Even more fun, I plan on using a Kinect in the room if at all possible. It is the Kinect which partially led me to looking at a short-throw solution.

From what I've read here & elsewhere, the W1080ST works perfectly fine in terms of focus and image distortion if you don't use any zoom. To get a 100" picture with no zoom, you need roughly 72 inches (6 feet) of throw. Is this correct? If it is that would work perfectly with my sketched out setup, which has the projector installation at 6 feet out from the screen/ wall, a Kinect play area / open area from 6 feet to 12 feet, and then the couch / seating at 12 feet out. I don't "love" my Kinect, and it isn't the most important thing ever to me, its just a cool thing that I'd like to be able to use.

The only niggling question I have is, from what people have mentioned here, it seems like the W1080ST does not have a lot of play / wiggle room when it comes to its vertical placement.
People have said in this thread that the projector needs to be within about 3" of the top of the screen. Is that right? Like, if I were to mount it about 6" down from the ceiling, then the top of my image would be ~9" from the ceiling? This is the bit I am unclear on, and BenQ hasn't actually put up any documentation for the ST (the site has links but they just go to the 1070 PDFs).

The other concern I have with this unit is the noise level. Some people have compared it to some other projectors, but I'm inexperienced in this area so I have little frame of reference.
I was thinking about building a custom piece of furniture with one or two 200mm fans and some sneaky noise baffles so that the project could be actively cooled but still be mostly enclosed. This could work to reduce the noise level and also keep it safe from spilled drinks, accidents, and morons.

What do you guys think, terrible ideas? Good ideas? I am not totally against the idea of saving up a bit more money for something better, but from what people have said here, there isn't a lot of competition in the short throw market.

As I said, I'm shooting for a 100" display and my room is 16 feet deep, and I'd like to have a relatively quiet setup (my eyes aren't the most awesome but my ears are pretty sensitive).

First off, about the noise, I thought about building a custom enclosure before owning the projector, then completely forgot about it. Sure, you hear it, but it's quite low enough to not be bothersome. You could eventually build an enclosure later, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

re screen size : I think even 100" is too small for a room that size, get 125". If you don't like it, put masking on it. I lived up until recently in a huge loft and had dozens of people over to watch movies, it was great. I wish I had had more time there, but alas, a new job beckoned in another city and that was that. I sold my plasma and kept the projector. My w1070 (very similar to your w1080st) is at about 8 feet now, projected on a wall, it was waaaay too big before, so I zoomed it a bit smaller and now it's perfect. I just love the flexibility of a projector.

What I'd recommend is, buy the projector, immediately, then instead of getting a screen yet, use a bookshelf to prop up the projector for a couple days and watch it on the wall, to figure out exactly what size you prefer BEFORE deciding on a screen size. I think you'll be surprised, bigger IS better (up to a point...then it's just too much). When you look forward you want the image to take up a good chunk of your visual real estate. Having a huge screen is just awesome. Then you start looking into things like acoustically transparent screens, electric screens that will drop down...the cheapest price / performance is probably fixed frame. I'm no expert though, anyway, do what your eyes feel best, and decide on a screen size after you've used it for a while on a white wall. Try a few days at a different size and then settle down to your ideal size, THEN mount the projector, then mount the screen, if it's directly on your wall (or the other way around).

EDIT : Read this post for another superb projector setup story, the pics in it are awesome!! And he goes into some length about screen size, pretty much exactly what I just wrote but more eloquently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think your advice is quite sound. I have done enough DIY projects to know that almost nothing IRL perfectly matches up with what you have worked out on paper.

For my particular room, I have looked at some other "viewing distance calculators" and it looks like you're right. For a 12 foot viewing range a 125" setup is a better fit, its just hard to get my head around having a screen so big (like 9 feet wide!!). Given that I haven't bought anything yet, I have the flexibility to mess around.

Can anyone speak to the vertical placement options with the W1080ST? That's about the only thing that I haven't heard anything definitive on yet. A 125" diagonal 16:9 image yields one 110" wide by 62" tall.
In the 8' room, that gives roughly 17" of empty space at the top and bottom, close enough that I should be able to make it work regardless of how I mount it. The workflow I had sketched out in my head was roughly the same as what you suggested, get the projector and test stuff out to figure out the "sweet spot", work out a good permanent mount solution, then work out a screen solution. It looks like a good screen can easily cost a couple hundred bucks. I am super impressed with Rich's variable setup, but my needs are far more modest, so probably going to DIY up something.

The sucky thing is I have basically talked myself into getting one, but the current wave has sold out everywhere?
Anyone have an idea when BenQ will have more of these available in the North American region? (hello from Oregon)
post #93 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Just to add this in for any other super-n00bs like me, BenQ has a pretty sweet Flash-based room / throw distance calculator:
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/
post #94 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amazon will have more in stock 1-2 months.
post #95 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
BenQ W1080ST up and running!!!

First impressions? Incredible, out of the box colors and PQ. I'm still experimenting with the settings. I've got it set to "Cinema" - Smart Eco.

Also - - no vertical or horizontal lens shift - - so you need to set it up correctly and pay attention to your screen mid-point and nail it with your measurements.

Small package delivered. One thing I learned was that my "Auto" switching on my Pioneer SC65 was not as automatic, resolution wise, as with my Samsung LCD/LED. In other words - - I changed the resolution on my receiver to output 1080P all the time as opposed to "Auto," and that ensured the projector received 1080P. Not sure why it works this way.

I watched Argo today - - just like you're in the theater! Only much cheaper and more comfortable!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #96 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Hey RicoFlash, did you end up having to do any kind of keystone correction? Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like your ceiling mount ended up super-close to the surface.
Just curious about the real-world vertical clearance on this thing...
post #97 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to add this in for any other super-n00bs like me, BenQ has a pretty sweet Flash-based room / throw distance calculator:
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

I dislike the Benq one, this is much better IMO:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm
post #98 of 659 Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey RicoFlash, did you end up having to do any kind of keystone correction? Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like your ceiling mount ended up super-close to the surface.
Just curious about the real-world vertical clearance on this thing...

I have a three and a half inch beam in front of the projector. I used a Chief Universal Mount (Flush) with the distance from my ceiling to the middle of the lens around 5 inches. I'm able to point the projected image virtually five inches down from my ceiling without any keystoning. It's not a hundred per cent square since my ceiling isn't 100% level.

But I was able to "Zoom" appropriately to fill a 100" Diagonal 16 X 9 screen from a distance of 66 inches. I'm somewhat challenged on my room for a full 16 X 9 picture, but it's pretty close. It's fabulous for Cinemascope movies! I watched Argo this afternoon and tonight, The Trouble With The Curve. I have a combined LCD/LED/Projector setup. So for movies, I'm absolutely thrilled with the BenQ W1080ST - - out of the box great colors and clarity. I also watched part of a hockey game today and it's much easier to follow the puck with a larger image. It's not uber sharp like my Sammy 65" LED - - but excellent for DLP. So far, I'm very happy with my first projector purchase!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #99 of 659 Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Rico, doesn't the Chief have adjustments? to make it level, I mean. That sucks if it doesn't. At least I know to check the level of my ceiling before installing my new mount coming (not even sure if it has those adjustments).

My prediction based on personal experience with my plasma before I sold it : I think you'll find yourself using your LED less and and less, to the point where you don't see the point in keeping it. Once you go to the silver screen, it's hard going back to a "small" tv!
post #100 of 659 Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Rico, doesn't the Chief have adjustments? to make it level, I mean. That sucks if it doesn't. At least I know to check the level of my ceiling before installing my new mount coming (not even sure if it has those adjustments).

My prediction based on personal experience with my plasma before I sold it : I think you'll find yourself using your LED less and and less, to the point where you don't see the point in keeping it. Once you go to the silver screen, it's hard going back to a "small" tv!

I can see your point! I'm absolutely thrilled with the "Big Cinema" experience. I’m really digging the projector! And it’s funny - - in the dark with the Sammy/LCD-LED sets (or even Plasmas) - - it’s really dark. In the dark with the Projector - - it’s much lighter from the reflection back off the screen to the room. Just like the theater!

I watched "Argo" last afternoon and “The Trouble With The Curve” last night. Wall to wall enjoyment in Cinemascope. You also end up following the movie better since you’re more immersed. Sound, picture - - everything comes through like the movie theater except it’s much more comfortable and you’ve got the best seat in the house!

I didn’t spend a lot of money the first time around. I got an electric screen from FAVI – 100” Diagonal for $164.00 and the BenQ W1080ST – short throw for $1,100.00. I thought that was a good price and I really didn’t have any choices - - I have a smaller man cave so I needed a shorter throw.

The distance from the projector to the 100” screen is 66 inches. Amazing! Crystal sharp picture - - not as pristine as my Sammy set or a Plasma. But for DLP technology - - really cool! And it only weights six pounds as opposed to fifteen and twenty pounds like the other projectors. Which makes it much easier to mount to the ceiling with plain anchors - - and not worry about it falling down!

I’m in the process of acquiring 3D DLP glasses - - so I can't comment on the 3D capabilities, yet.

All in all - - a really fun experience that you can look forward to.

The LCD/LED/Plasma plus projector solution is a great combination. Sometimes you just want to watch plain old TV - - CNN or local news. Maybe sports - - which my Sammy set does fabulously. And with a small amount of ambient light - - I can watch the Sammy LED better - - and also send out Emails on my Samsung Tablet and surf the web. That's the benefit of the LED TV. The projector is really at its best when it is a totally dark room.

But when it’s movie time - - and especially for Cinemascope (Letterbox) movies - - the projector can’t be beat, period. Much more enjoyable and you do not have the shrinking screen, so to speak. And it’s more “movie like” - - in that when James Bond looks like Wolf Blitzer on CNN - - that’s not what you want! With my smaller man cave - - I find that 16 X 9 is really, really huge with the projector! I'll mostly watch hockey and maybe golf (3D) via the projector 16 X 9. Letterbox movies are EXCLUSIVELY the PJ - - no if, ands or buts!!!

Lastly - - I bet in five years that I’ll be able to find a short throw, 4K projector - - and by then, the content will be out. That’s a real game changer (3X higher resolution than current HDTV!) - - then, I can also invest in a higher end screen.

I done buying for now, but it will never end. I’m addicted to this HT stuff! (Wait a minute - - maybe the Darbee Darblet can be used for the PJ! Gotta go check Craigslist....smile.gif)

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #101 of 659 Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Whoops - - forgot to mention - - yes, the Chief Universal Mount RPAU DOES have adjustments to make it level. I also found that after installation - - I could even move the projector left or right or up or down and it would stay in place!

I needed a flush mount and it's five inches from the ceiling to the middle of the BenQ W1080ST lens - - which really helped since I needed all the vertical "real estate" I could get with my setup.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #102 of 659 Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

FYI - it's been a week & half since I got my BenQ W1080ST - - and I couldn't be happier!

Fabulous picture. 3D also works fine - - just a little noisy with the fan. I ended up getting the rechargeable 3DTV glasses from Amazon. They work very well.

Lastly - - the Darbee Darblet really helps with sharpness, depth and detail on the picture. I watched the Life of Pi yesterday - - very very cool! We have a new cat in the house (10 months old) and he almost went at the screen during the "flying fish" scene.

Has anybody else received the W1080ST? Is there a delay in getting them out - - shipment wise? This will be a very, very popular projector - - IMHO.

Best - Rico

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #103 of 659 Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback!!!!
I want to buy this VPR, but I have just two doubt.. can you try to check them?

1) How is the pixeling effect? If you watch your screen from 1 meter or less you can notice the pixels?

2) How is the black level?

Thanks in advance!! smile.gif
post #104 of 659 Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Amazon is still showing a "1 to 2 months" shipping time on this projector. I am considering just saying "screw it" and placing an order.
Ostensibly they will be sending them out on a first-come first-served basis as they get more in from BenQ?
Also, I am seriously considering building a custom coffee table / hushbox for this projector. I still need to do some more room measurements, but it seems like it would be a perfectly serviceable solution to mounting the projector, keeping it cool & quiet, and keeping it in the correct position without worrying about guests bumping it.
post #105 of 659 Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Amazon is still showing a "1 to 2 months" shipping time on this projector. I am considering just saying "screw it" and placing an order.
Ostensibly they will be sending them out on a first-come first-served basis as they get more in from BenQ?
Also, I am seriously considering building a custom coffee table / hushbox for this projector. I still need to do some more room measurements, but it seems like it would be a perfectly serviceable solution to mounting the projector, keeping it cool & quiet, and keeping it in the correct position without worrying about guests bumping it.

I bought mine through Projector People (Kirk) - - they matched Amazon pricing. I got in, early, on the queue and it shipped directly from BenQ. It took a couple weeks to get the projector but I've been very happy with it.

On "SmartEco" mode - - it's quiet enough not to bother your listening environment - - at least for me.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #106 of 659 Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djufuk87 View Post

Thanks for the feedback!!!!
I want to buy this VPR, but I have just two doubt.. can you try to check them?

1) How is the pixeling effect? If you watch your screen from 1 meter or less you can notice the pixels?

2) How is the black level?

Thanks in advance!! smile.gif

1) - Pixeling effect - - to me, entirely subjective. Around a meter (three plus feet) or so - - I do not notice it much. But then again - - my viewing distance is ten feet with a 100" Diagonal 16 X 9 FAVI screen. (1.3 gain). I notice more of a silk screen (some folks would call it as screen door effect - - but no where near as pronounced as the holes on a screen door!) - - which I also noticed on a previous Samsung DLP 56" rear projection TV - - mostly on sky shots. But my screen isn't that expensive (as tight a weave) - - and really, for me, it's not as noticeable. The benefits far outweigh the negatives (which aren't many.)

2) Black levels - - acceptable. Do not expect to equal a plasma or LCD/LED - - it's just not gonna happen at this price point. But more than acceptable for me - - especially for the big screen experience! Also - - the black levels are much better in a darkened viewing environment.

I really had no choice in my projector selection due to my short throw requirements. But I've been extremely happy with the BenQ W1080ST performance and PQ. Out of the box - - it looks better than many projectors two and three times it's price.

If you do buy (and I strongly recommend this projector!) - - make sure you have a solid return policy if you are not happy. The PQ, light weight (easily "flush" mounted to my ceiling) and brilliant colors make this a great choice if you are space challenged and need a shorter throw. I do not think there is any projector on the market that can compare - - PQ and quality wise to the BenQ W1080ST.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #107 of 659 Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 AM

Thanks for the informations!

I'm in the same situation.. In my room I can just use a short throw VPR! Actually I have an Optoma GT720 (1280x800) with a 146" screen (3,15m of width).
I'm happy with it, but the pixeling effect is too visible (I watch it from 2,5 - 2,8 m) and the black level is very poor in 2D (but in 3D is perfect).
I want to buy this BENQ because is full-HD (less pixeling effect) and the black level is better also in 2D...
Can you make a photo from about 30cm (1 feet) to show the pixeling effect? Many thanks!!!!
post #108 of 659 Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM

It seems like your screen is too large for your viewing distance.
Why do I say that?

Your current setup (1280x800 @ 146") gives you a pixel density of 10.34 points per inch.
Leaving everything the same and bumping up to 1080 gets you 15.09 points per inch.
(as calculated here http://pixeldensitycalculator.com/ )
As per THX (http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/) your optimum viewing distance is calculated by dividing the diagonal size of the screen by .84.

According to Google, 2.5 meters is 98.4252 inches.
If this is true then according to the THX guidelines, the "correct" screen size at that distance is 82".
That size screen would deliver 26.86 PPI pixel density, or 2.5X your current density.

Basically you're too close to the screen and can actually see the individual pixels, but going from 1280x800 up to 1920x1080 on its own doesn't look like that will fully resolve your picture quality issues, if my math is right...
post #109 of 659 Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the answer!
According to the THX spec my first VPR was an Optoma HD600 with a 90" screen. But for my personal taste was too small and I upgraded it to a 146" with the optoma GT720 short throw.
This is the right size for my taste!! The "cinema effect" is perfect. For me is better this size with a litte pixeling effect than the old size without it.
My actual VPR has 1 million pixesl, the BENQ full HD have 2 million pixels, so twice the pixels. For my room the best would be a 4K VPR (to reach 30PPI)... but this benq is the first world short throw full-HD VPR, so for the 4K version I have to wait at least 3 years... biggrin.giffrown.gif

I saw a Sony HW50 (full HD) on a 150" screen and the pixeling effects was no noticeable, even at 1m (3ft) of distance! Probably because there is less space between the pixels in the matrix. But the HW50 is LCOS, the BENQ is DLP.
For this reason i'm curious to see a detail of the pixeling efffect! Because if it is similar to the sony HW50 (that is always full HD) for me would be a great upgrade in any case! smile.gif
post #110 of 659 Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM

OK guys, I pulled the trigger. I ordered one through Kirk at Projector People. They are selling it for $1099 (same as Amazon) and they can drop-ship direct from BenQ.
The PO has been submitted and I am told it will ship out from BenQ in California on Monday, and I should be receiving it in Oregon on like Wednesday or Thursday.
I'll try to post up pictures and information ASAP smile.gif
post #111 of 659 Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK guys, I pulled the trigger. I ordered one through Kirk at Projector People. They are selling it for $1099 (same as Amazon) and they can drop-ship direct from BenQ.
The PO has been submitted and I am told it will ship out from BenQ in California on Monday, and I should be receiving it in Oregon on like Wednesday or Thursday.
I'll try to post up pictures and information ASAP smile.gif

Congrats!!! I hope you like it as well as I do - - this is my first projector and I've been really happy with it.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #112 of 659 Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just received mine. Sound doesn't seem to work. Is there a trick to it?

Jack
post #113 of 659 Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I just received mine. Sound doesn't seem to work. Is there a trick to it?

Is sound "muted" in the menu? (If you do not have a receiver hooked up for audio)

If you're running an HDMI cable - - video and audio should pass. If you have your receiver with your setup (and it's off) you should hear sound from the speakers - - provided it is not "muted" in the settings.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #114 of 659 Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have hdmi from three sources going through avr to video processor and then to 1080. All hdmi path. If I turn avr off I don't think the hdmi signal will pass through. I can try it tough. Is this what you were suggesting?

Jack
post #115 of 659 Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 AM

I LOVE this projector. Wasn't in the market for a new one 'til my current (Epson EMP-TW1000) died. My setup is in the basement. I have a 133" screen, unfortunately the main beam running across the length of the house limited how far back I could go for the projector. The solution was to mount a magnification lens to the front of the projector. Then came the Benq, probably the only projector I've seen that not only projects the image without the need of an extra lens, but actually gives me about 2 feet to spare. I have DirecTV and tried the 3d capability, overall I was satisfied. I didn't by it for the 3d anyhow, that's just an added bonus. And, oh yeah, even in 'economic' mode the thing is plenty bright.

Awesome projector for limited space!!

-Tony
post #116 of 659 Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I have hdmi from three sources going through avr to video processor and then to 1080. All hdmi path. If I turn avr off I don't think the hdmi signal will pass through. I can try it tough. Is this what you were suggesting?

Exactly. If you want audio ONLY from the BenQ unit, itself, and everything is hooked up to your AVR (say Bluray, TV/Cable/Satellite & Media Player - then one HDMI out from your AVR to the projector) - - see if your receiver has a "pass thru" capability where your receiver is "off" - - but the signal gets passed through (audio/video) to your PJ.

Example: with my Pioneer SC65 receiver - - I can press the individual "source" button on my remote (Bluray, DVD, Sat/Cab, etc.) WITHOUT turning the receiver on and it will pass the signal from whatever "HDMI Out (in my case - HDMI 2 out to my projector) and you will get audio from the projector.

Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #117 of 659 Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Benq is beginning to supply these to retailers again. Amazon is still out but thinking they will have them within the week.
post #118 of 659 Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Looks like Benq is beginning to supply these to retailers again. Amazon is still out but thinking they will have them within the week.

Isn't Benq selling them direct for the same price and in stock? Why wait for the retailer?
post #119 of 659 Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Benq does not have a 30 day return policy as Amazon does:)
post #120 of 659 Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered 1080st last month and amazon mail says it will be shipped from April 10 -21. so it should be in stock for amazon next. But i canncelled mine and got the 1070 version.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page