Question about throw distances. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 111
We are going to be putting a projector into out basement and I am trying to read up as much as possible before I make a final decision. My wife and I have decided on where we would like the screen to but but this could cause issues with getting the projector mounted.

The first question seems obvious but I just wanted to verify that throw distance is measured from the leans to the screen correct?

The second is that there is a lowered part of the ceiling 12 feet back from the wall the screen would be on that drops down 14.25 inches making the ceiling at that point go from 7'9" to ~6'6". See the picture below, the hook seen is on the underside of the drop in case the pictures is not clear on what you are seeing.

Because of this I will either have to mount the projector in front of this drop giving me approximately 10 feet or so of throw I assume depending on what projector I end up with. Or I could mount it on the lowered part but then it runs the risk of being in the way and make lens shift necessary correct?

If going with option one and placing the projector in front of the drop, and wanting to stay under $2K, I will be limited to the:

BenQ
W1070

Epson
3020(e)

Infocus
IN3128HD

LG
CF181D

Panasonic
AR100U

Does all of this seem correct or is there something I am missing either from and understanding of the topic standpoint or from a possible projector standpoint.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi, yeah the throw distance is lens to the screen. If you absolutely want the screen "THERE", hang the screen temporarily and then you'll need to start doing the math, or using the throw calculators that are available on the web. If you get a modern projector with a generous Zoom ratio and lens shift, you'll have a much easier time placing the PJ.

However the other part I don't understand, your photo I don't quite get. Perhaps not zooming in so much so we can see the walls, etc....

If you don't get a projector with lens shift, be mindful of whatever OFFSET that projector you choose has....that will be how high above the centerline of the lens the actual image gets projected. My Marantz PJ has a very low offset, the image on the wall starts at whatever height the centerline of the lens is at. But my Optoma has a higher offset, it projects its image higher than the centerline of the lens. Again, this only comes into play if you buy a PJ that does not have lens shift.

Good Luck

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I used the search on projector central and searched for all 1080p projectors that could do 100" image from 10'(obviously this is dependent on the length of the projector) and the above list is all that came up. Also here is a better image. This picture was taken standing in front of the wall the screen would be on looking out at where the projector would be. Also there is another wall the screen can go on which would give much more placement options but doesn't make the overall space of the basement flow as well so we are still trying to figure out what will be best overall.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would add the Benq w7000, Epson 5010 and Panny 7000to your under 2k list. Last years models can be found for good deals when the new PJ's comes out.

So you want to hang the PJ right in front of the middle wall? Is the space from the middle wall to where to picture taken 10 feet, if so your throw is more like 9 feet.

Depending on where you screen will go will decide how much lens sift you will need.

Where will you be sitting in the above picture?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

I would add the Benq w7000, Epson 5010 and Panny 7000to your under 2k list. Last years models can be found for good deals when the new PJ's comes out.

So you want to hang the PJ right in front of the middle wall? Is the space from the middle wall to where to picture taken 10 feet, if so your throw is more like 9 feet.

Depending on where you screen will go will decide how much lens sift you will need.

Where will you be sitting in the above picture?

From the screen wall to the drop in the ceiling is 12' so throw would probably be between 10-11' i assume i just used 10' in my search thinking it wouldn't have to be any closer than that. The seating would be in front of the two pillars. I am going to tape of a "scree" tomorrow to see what size looks like it will be best I am using 100" as a guide for now.

The W7000 has a minimum throw of 11'9 for 100"

5010 and 7000 look like they would work so I'll keep them in mind depending on price.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page