Epson 5020UB got a 2nd failed unit please help - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Epson 5020UB got a 2nd failed unit please help
Gussboy's Avatar Gussboy 09:16 AM 01-19-2013
I did alot of research before ordering my Epson 5020UB and I know the line has a great reputation for quality and performance.

I received my 5020 and it seemed to work fine out of the box just sitting on a table. Next I proceeded to ceiling mount it in my media room. It seemed to work fine for a few days and then one night after watching a movie I went to turn it off via the remote and it kept repeatably making the sound of the motor running like it was trying to close the lens shutter cover. This sound persisted for about 15-20 seconds and then it stopped and the blue power light light started flashing constantly. It was unresponsive to the remote of the physical buttons on the projector.

Next I unplugged the unit and reset it bit it refused to ever turn on properly. The 5020 sounds like it is warming up but the blue power light just starts flashing constantly after about 30 seconds. I read through the manuals troubleshooting section but none of the other warning lights are on. Thus it made me think the problem was not related to overheating or a lamp issue. So I called Epson warranty support and they were very responsive and overnight shipped me a brand new replacement unit.

So I mounted the new 5020 replacement unit and it turned on fine. I adjusted the lens shift and we sat down and watched the projector for about 2 hours with no issues. Then I went to power down via the remote and the same behavior happened as before. The shutter cover motor ran for a prolonged period and then it went into the state where the blue power light flashes constantly.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? This is my first projector but I consider myself technically savvy. I am scared of sticking with this product after 2 failed units in a row like this. I am at a dead end and not sure what to do next!

TboneofLA's Avatar TboneofLA 10:57 AM 01-23-2013
Its a difficult decision you face. You are not the first person on AVS Forum to complain of getting a defective replacement unit from Epson. Part of the reason is that a replacement unit could be and likely is a refurbished one to start with. Some have received great replacement units while others have complained of going through multiples to get a good one. I can only assume a certain number are received back by Epson and the tech classifies it as "no trouble found" and it's boxed up and sent back out the door to replace a defective one.

I am an onwer of an 8700UB so much of what I have stated is based on what I've read in the 8700 owners thread and my personal experiences. I absolutely love having the picture quality of the 8700 but I question the reliability of them based on my own experiences and reading the experiences of other Epson owners. Based on my own experience and what I've read my Epson 8700 is the least reliable piece of equipment I've ever had in my home theater. My 8700 is a month and half out of warranty and has only 450 hours on the bulb and has started to develop color banding in some areas of the image.

Some of the issues with projectors are due to the nature of the product... a projector lamp is a consumable item and it's performance changes over time but that only accounts for a certain percentage of the problems that owners have. For the most part I think people are aware of lamp life issues prior to the purchase.

The difficult thing to determine is if a projector from another manufacturer is going to be any more reliable or if they are going to have better warranty service. In some cases probably not, for instance if you bought a projector from another manufacturer that was made with Epson LCD panels then you are prone to experience some of the same problems.

If I were in your shoes I would be calling Epson and requesting another replacement unit and doing so until I received one I was happy with. Hopefully your next is one is better.
Up
Mobile  Desktop