Any problems with putting two flat screen TV's next to your projector screen? (see pic) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm contemplating putting two small[er] screens (I drew in 100" screens just for theory, but I'll probably use a 50 or 60" screen) next to my big screen in my new theater room I'm building. I use secondary screens for a number of things. Dual monitors for work on PC, co-op Xbox gaming with my brothers and friends, and for when my wife wants to watch Modern Family while I'm playing Far Cry 3. Also, a couple driving games might be pretty awesome on it if I hooked up all three screens.

It's an experiment, and I'm not sure if there are downsides. I've never owned a projector, or had anything on this scale.
  • When I'm just watching one screen, will there be glare issues from the side screens?
  • When they are on, will the light diminish the projector image?
  • Is there anything I can do to set this up to better accomplish my designs here?

Open to input. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoma44 View Post

I'm contemplating putting two small[er] screens (I drew in 100" screens just for theory, but I'll probably use a 50 or 60" screen) next to my big screen in my new theater room I'm building. I use secondary screens for a number of things. Dual monitors for work on PC, co-op Xbox gaming with my brothers and friends, and for when my wife wants to watch Modern Family while I'm playing Far Cry 3. Also, a couple driving games might be pretty awesome on it if I hooked up all three screens.

It's an experiment, and I'm not sure if there are downsides. I've never owned a projector, or had anything on this scale.
  • When I'm just watching one screen, will there be glare issues from the side screens?
  • Is there anything I can do to set this up to better accomplish my designs here?

Open to input. Thanks.

I've done that for several years without any problems. 120" screen next to 50" plasma.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358778/panasonic-pt-ar100-msrp-1-999-4000u-replacement-kind-of/630#post_21941174

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
PLB

Liked: 11
Right now I have in my den a 110" Da-Lite HP screen on the north wall. Next to it I have a 42" VIZIO flat screen. I usually play them at different times - the projector at night and the flat screen in the day light - but I have had them both on at once. They don't interfere with one another in any way that I can see.

If you want to watch a different TV show from that of your wife there are easier ways to do it. You could simply record one and watch it later or you could put a flat screen in another room. Two people watching two different shows in the same room sounds loony.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoma44 View Post

Open to input. Thanks.

You would benefit from using a projection screen with some gain and with the ability to reject some or most of the light coming from the flat panel TVs located to the sides of the screen . The Dalite screens using their "High Power" fabric do this very well but with this screen material you need to locate the projector fairly low (i.e., ideally just a little above eye level when seated). There are screens with gains in the range of 1.3 to 1.5 that should be sufficient at rejecting the light coming from the sides and allowing the projector to be mounted near the ceiling. You could even add a vertical divider, painted flat black or covered with black velvet, that sticks out from the wall a few inches in the space between the screen and the flat panel TVs. This would be to shadow the screen from any light directly coming from the flat panel TVs.

Also you may need to adjust the overall light output level from the flat panel TVs to match the image brightness of the projected image.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I just wanted to jump in and say THANKS for the replies so far. I'm taking them into consideration and still working out the designs.

Any further ideas are still welcome. Thanks!