PT-AE3000 blotches on colors and white - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I basically have the same problem as the one mentioned in the first post of this page.

Please have a look :

I have very visible blotches, especially on (in decreasing order of importance) :
- green
- white
- red

And no visible blotches on blue and black.

What do you think I should do ? I am unsure if the projector has been used for long continuous sessions but I have reasons to believe it could have been. It was in an "ex-friend"'s hands for two years.

- do I have the slightest chances of removing the blotches by cleaning the lcd panels ? Do you do so by conducting the operation described here, or does the latter only help in the case on blobs on blacks (instead of blotches on white, which I have) ?

- can a panny service center be of any help ?

- if the lcd panels are dead, can I buy some new and replace them myself ?

The projector has around 5,000 hours of use. I have no idea if the blotches appeared suddenly or not (I just got the pj back).

Thank you
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 113
This projector was likely abused, too many hours of use (possibly in full mode) and the likelihood of dust blobs although that's not the primary problem.

The LCD panels need replacing, the cost of repair will be more than the projector is worth.

I'm sure these are all things you already suspected.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I am trying to get in touch with Panasonic, pretend I am journalist (which is partly true) and say this is a scandal. Hope they will offer something. Here in Europe the projector has a three year warranty, and it is barely four years old.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Somehow the projector has gotten moisture in the optics. It is between the polarizers, the optical block and the rear of the lens. Pretty easy clean if you know what you are doing. Go to the cleaning link you sited and go here and read from the #8 post.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1369211/any-way-to-diy-cleaning-of-dirty-internal-optics

The pattern you see on the white screen is CLASSIC water spots. just like the leftover residue from a dirty dishwasher.

Welcome Bohanna

BTW is it just me or has this site slowed to crawl??
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for this advice.

Before going further into disassembly, though, I would like to know if it can really be moisture provided that the blotches are not visible on blue. Hence I would believe it has to do only with green and red.

Removing moisture seems far more complicated than just removing dust. I am afraid it will take me a long time and I am afraid of not realigning everything properly.

Some people suggest using alcohol, others suggest water. Is not distilled water the way to go ?

Thank you.

Fred
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

This projector was likely abused, too many hours of use (possibly in full mode) and the likelihood of dust blobs although that's not the primary problem.

The LCD panels need replacing, the cost of repair will be more than the projector is worth.

I'm sure these are all things you already suspected.

Hello,

After disassembling the optical block and wiping the lcd panels and the rest that I could access with a dry cloth, my blotches are gone ! It was only dust... thick dust I must precise : just canned air would not have been sufficient to clean it.

So please be careful with your advices next time because I almost threw my projector away.

Fred
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Cool. I had the same. Actually haven't used it in months. Got a plasma. Nice to know it might be salvageable.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page