Where Do You Buy Your Replacement Bulbs - Good Price - Good Quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where do you buy your replacement projector bulbs?

Panasonic wants $475 for the bulb I need. I have a PT-AE1000U. It calls for the part number ET-LAE1000.

There are lots of providers out there selling bare bulbs and complete lamps (including bulb and plastic mounting housing) in the $60 - $100 range, but I'm told to steer clear of these bulbs.

I was also told that Panasonic never really made bulbs for their projectors, but that they designed the lamps, bult the housings, and ordered the bulbs from bulb makers like Sylvania/Osram, or Phillips.

I wouldn't mind getting a bare bulb from the original maker, without Panasonic's markup! Does that seem reasonable? Where would I find that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaskey View Post

Panasonic wants $475 for the bulb I need. I have a PT-AE1000U. It calls for the part number ET-LAE1000.

There are lots of providers out there selling bare bulbs and complete lamps (including bulb and plastic mounting housing) in the $60 - $100 range, but I'm told to steer clear of these bulbs.

I was also told that Panasonic never really made bulbs for their projectors, but that they designed the lamps, bult the housings, and ordered the bulbs from bulb makers like Sylvania/Osram, or Phillips.

I wouldn't mind getting a bare bulb from the original maker, without Panasonic's markup! Does that seem reasonable? Where would I find that?

You can find the bulb for your projector at Provantage.com which has an excellent reputation. Price $309.13.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-et-lae1000~7PANP07V.htm

The PT-AE1000U was a nice projector in its day but is over 6 years old - design-wise. With an older projector you may want to try a clone bulb, you'll only be out the $60-100 and you may luck out with a decent bulb. You're obviously looking for someone to encourage you to buy generic, but in the end it's your projector and your money.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 18 Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions and link. You're right in that I don't want to spend the money on a new lamp (bulb+housing) from Panasonic. The markup is ridiculous.

I'm interested in maybe just getting a 'bare' bulb, from the original supplier to Panasonic.

Is there a way to learn the make and model of the original bulb supplied to Panasonic? I feel like if I can get that information, I can save a lot of cash.

Here's an example of a bare bulb: http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp_Q_intProductID_E_54990

I'd go ahead and get that bulb, but without knowing the make and model of the original bulb, I can't be sure this is the bulb I'm after.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That bulb sounds a little cheap compared to most reputable dealers, though topbulb has an A+ bbb rating, I'm a little skeptical, but it looks like it would work. Call topbulb and see what they tell you and inquire about the manufacture, if it's phillips, etc.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Why not find it on the Amazon 1.gif
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

jnabq, thanks for your thoughts. I called topbulb and they let me know that the bulb was a cheap one, but that they had never heard anything bad about it from their customers, nor did they have any returns on it. I asked her about her return policy and she said that if the bulb ever dimmed, popped, or went out in during the warranty period, I could return it for a full refund. On top of that, she said they would email me a pre-paid UPS label for shipping it back to them, free of charge. That sounded like a solid return policy, so I went ahead and ordered the bulb. I feel like there is hardly any risk there. Still, I would like to know how to find out what the original make and model is on the original bare bulb supplied to Panasonic, for future reference.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Katie Meadow, I spent some time on Amazon and found lots of possible alternatives, but nothing along the lines of what I'm looking for, which is a bare bulb from the original supplier to panasonic, with the original specs.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Liked: 10
I posted yesterday about my troubles with cheap lamps, but I never said the name af the company that i had success with.

http://www.ashlin.ca/ssdept.asp?sp=ET-LAE1000&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

ashlin computer corporation

I notice they have 3 price listings for you projector, 2 are Manufacter bulbs, the 3rd is a clone.

Good Luck
post #9 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks habtheory. I'll check that out if the bulb from top bulb doesn't pan out. Still wondering about my original question... whether there's a way to learn the make and model of the original bare bulb supplied to panasonic.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaskey View Post

How many hours did you get from the OEM lamp? You do realize that one of the reasons the quality lamps are so expensive is that the lamp is hand focused when it is cemented into the housing. If the lamp does not meet spec it is not sold. Unless the lamp comes out of the housing without removing any cement, you are not likely to get the outcome you are looking for. If this was something that was doable, wouldn't you expect to see a boat load of people telling you what and where to buy, and how to install it? What you will find if you search this forum is warning and horror stories of all the people tying to pinch Lincoln rather than put out the needed money for the proper part. Lamps are one place you get what you pay for!
Good luck
post #11 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

airscapes, thanks for your interesting insight. I'm unclear on which specific parts you're referring to when you talk about the 'positioning' and 'cementing'. My understanding of the lamps is that the entire 'lamp' consists of a 'bulb', which is made out of metal and glass, like most bulbs, and then the 'housing', which in my case is made mostly out of a plastic frame, and a bit of metal here and there. I haven't seen a lamp that needs the bulb cemented into it, and I think my lamp has a space where the bulb simply clamps in place. Do you have some pictures or diagrams that might help clear this up?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I think it depends on what they are selling.. Bare Lamp or Lamp and reflector... Lamp and reflector assembly is what you are talking about, a Bare lamp without the reflector would be just the pressure tube... and what I am talking about.

Every projector lamp is different and has different specs.. if you want to try the bare lamp, remove your existing and see if it has numbers on it and go from there. However, if you want the quality and longevity you should just pay the freight for the real deal.
Good luck
post #13 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! Thanks for clarifying. I hope what I ordered comes with the reflector! I'll keep you posted here. And thanks for the tip on simply looking at the bulb (with reflector) in my current lamp. Still an open invite to anyone who knows another way to learn the make/model of the original bulb (including reflector).
post #14 of 18 Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Got the bulb. It was a little awkward to install, but not too hard. The connections weren't exactly the same, but it came with a threaded nut for each connection so that each of the two wires could be held in place, without the need for soldering.

So far the bulb is bright and the light is consistent. The price was low, so at this point I'm happy.

The only problem I have now is that my wife doesn't like having a home theater in the basement, since she's been using that as her workout gym lately, and I don't have any spots upstairs that would work.

So... Panasonic 1080P Projector PT-AE1000U for sale! Immaculate condition. Brand new bulb! :-) Seriously, let me know if you're interested.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

FYI for anyone else looking for a replacement part: as of October 2013 topbulb says the bare bulb is no longer available from their supplier.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic Et-lae1000

Tried aftermarket once on Amazon and regretted it. I can not believe they let Amazon sell fake bulbs advertised as genuine. Their panasonic lamps are Panasonic and the real thing.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Why not try us here at AV Science ? We can get most any lamp. We only carry OEM lamps, with the exception of older projectors that don't have any available - in which case there are some alternatives.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #18 of 18 Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I always buy mine from avs store. You know it's oem and not knockoff junk. It's worth every penny IMO.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae1000u High Definition Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page