Projector Expertise Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to build a media room in a house I just moved into. I had planned to buy a Panasonic 60" Plasma and some Palliser seating to have a nice movie/sports/gaming room setup. A frind bought a projector recently and he swears by it now. I am looking for advice from experts like you guys. I got some suggestions from another forum that I will incorporate. Here is some of the core info:

Dimensions of Room:

Floor to ceiling: 7'8"
Width: 11'6"
Depth: 25'
Seating: Starting around 13' away from TV Wall

I will attach photos, but the room has some weird things. It is kind of a reverse "L" shape. I plan to use the "vertical" part of the "L" for the media room. From the front TV wall measured back to where to room opens up is 11'4". Also, there is a drop-down on the ceiling for a steel beam and duct work which starts at 11'4" from the front TV wall. So my intention is to mount the projector to the ceiling just infrom of the duct work, which is at 11'4". The room has glass doors in the back and a small window that does get light, but I will be putting the window tim covering on them and putting blinds over them, so there may be a little light, but not a ton.

I would like a nice picture that is good for all around stuff like movies, xbox360 gaming, and cable/sports. I have sons, so they will love it.

On the other forum, the guys there suggested 3 projectors as the best for my situation: BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Panasonic AR100U

My TV/Projector budget is about $1500, but I would do $2000 if I had to in order to get the right thing. I have not really budgeted for audio, so I will need to get something that performs well, but I cannot spend a ton of money.

As for furniture, I love the Palliser theater seats. I need minimum of 4 seats. I really want these, but the budget may not allow them. Thats part of what I want to figure out.

My total budget for the room is around $5000, but I can flex a little to get the room right if I have to. So I may do $6000 if I had to.

Concerns:

1) I need to make sure I get the right projector that can deal with my throw distance and still give me a large wuality picture. I think 100"+ is good.

2) Install/Wiring: Whether I get a Plasma, DLP, or projector, my room is not pre-wired. Hiding wires will be a pain in this room, so any tips or ways to get around it are welcomed. I was told about the wireless HDMI thing, but I dont want to impact quality. I was warned to not use wireless surround speakers. There is a closet in the front of the room, so I would love to be able to hide all of my electronic components in the closet if possible.

3) Projector Noise: I have no idea how loud it is, but I am hoping it will not be an issue since my seating will be somewhat near where the projector will go.

Any advice about the room or the equipment is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You have a lot of standard dedicated room questions. Do you have thread in that section?

1. Alot of the pj under 1500 will work for a standard celing mount provided you have screen placement flexibility. There are many to look at. Fully understand your placment needs and start looking at all the projector review info out there. The ones they talk about are find but it seems you can squeeze lots of other units in there.

2. I agree don't do the wireless audio thing. I can't think wireless hdmi will be worth the cost for you as you have to deal with power for a PJ anyway. Clostis is nice be sure to figure out how you will controle the equipment and how you will keep your closet from over heating.

3. In general low 20 to mid 30 db for the price range you are looking at. Some are quieter than others in low lamp modes. I would say it is a little less noise then a Gen 1 xbox but more noise then a PS3 or GEN 2 xbox. About the sound of older computer. In general once you are doing something (movie, Game, TV) you don't notice the sound. There is a whole lot of personal preference but being able to run the PJ in Low will greatly reduce the issue.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

You have a lot of standard dedicated room questions. Do you have thread in that section?

1. Alot of the pj under 1500 will work for a standard celing mount provided you have screen placement flexibility. There are many to look at. Fully understand your placment needs and start looking at all the projector review info out there. The ones they talk about are find but it seems you can squeeze lots of other units in there.

2. I agree don't do the wireless audio thing. I can't think wireless hdmi will be worth the cost for you as you have to deal with power for a PJ anyway. Clostis is nice be sure to figure out how you will controle the equipment and how you will keep your closet from over heating.

3. In general low 20 to mid 30 db for the price range you are looking at. Some are quieter than others in low lamp modes. I would say it is a little less noise then a Gen 1 xbox but more noise then a PS3 or GEN 2 xbox. About the sound of older computer. In general once you are doing something (movie, Game, TV) you don't notice the sound. There is a whole lot of personal preference but being able to run the PJ in Low will greatly reduce the issue.

No, this is the only forum that I have posted in here.

1) I think those 3 were their recommendations based on my room, the max screen size with my throw, budget, and review quality. I am open to anything, but of course I want to get the best for my budget. Like I said, my plan was a plasma, but am trying to learn about projectors or even DLP RP TV's to make sure I am getting it right the first time. I am open to anything. I just want to make the right purchase and get it into action smile.gif

2) Wiring/install is a BIG concern of mine. A plasma/DLP will be hard to hide all wires and boxes, but a projector is a lot harder. Thats why I am considering wireless wherever possible, but I do not want to sacrifice quality. If you look at my room, you will see the difficulty I am talking about. I do not want to see wires anywhere and do not want cabinets with electronics boxes laying around. I am hoping to find a solution.

3) Thats good to know about noise. I guess the low/high mod will depend on the projector's brightness. The Epson 8350 seems to be the lowest of the 3.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
By all accounts, the wireless HDMI built into certain Epson projectors involve no sacrifice in quality. The wired and wireless HDMI pictures are exactly the same. The Epson 3020e or the 5020e might be good choices if they can fit into your budget. I think there also are add-on wireless HDMI adapters that provide no loss in quality compared to wired HDMI, any they could work with any projector, such as that BenQ.

I see the light in the ceiling of your room. Probably you can run power cable above your ceiling from there to your projector mount if you or your electrician are good with a snake. Or with drywall ceiling repair, which isn't so hard. You can thereby have no wires at all running across your ceiling.

Wires to your surround sound speakers would be a different matter. Maybe you can remove your baseboards, run speaker wires around the room there, and then add some new baseboard on top of the speaker wires to conceal them. When you run speaker wire, use the cable available at hardware stores that is designed for outdoor low voltage lighting. It looks like lamp cord, but is a little thicker so has less resistance. It is cheap enough and has excellent quality.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
The BenQ W1070, and Epson 8350 are good pjs, the Epson will have the most flexibility in placement using "lens shift", but the Benq will do 3D. Have you looked into any of the flat wire tech? I haven't priced any, but it might be worth a look, even cable channel covers can work in some areas.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page