newbie 5010 or 5020? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found what looks like a real good deal for the 5010 with a combo package screen I know it is last years model but is the 5020 worth an extra $600?
also I am plan on setting this up on a coffee table (phase 1) which will be 10 feet from either a 100 or 106" screen. It should just barely fit based on the projector central calculator
I sit 17 ft back from the screen
also how good will the picture be compared to my 63 Samsung plasma? I plan on viewing in the dark most of the time

finally Is a tensioned screen worth the extra money?
thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
sorry this is for an epson projector I tried posting it in the epson thread but it did not do it
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Maybe not, if your not going to be watching alot of 3d. http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5020/summary.php Your pj will be 37-43" bigger than your plasma, and at a viewing distance of 17', it should be a great picture vs the plasma. Decent tension screens can actually be fairly inexpensive, you don't need to spend $1000 on one.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
17 feet from a 63 inch plasma is like watching a movie on an ipad.

17 feet from a 105 (over 3 times the size) the ability for 1080p to matter.

At 17 feet sitting you can do 120+ easy (just move the PJ back a little) look into the THX screen size /seating recommendations. A quality 1080 PJ in dark conditions will look really nice. If this is your living room you probably want something a little more than a white screen, they work well in bad caves alot better than living rooms. Go ask in the screen area.

My money would be the 5010 over the 5020. The 5020 just a "little" better not a whole new thing. $600 is money for something else, like a good screen for you living room and ambient light desires.

Be sure to take a good look at the DLPs (mits, benq, optma, acer) and the Panasonic just to confuse yourself smile.gif I am sure you should at least look a a low gain screen and a w7000 light cannon for the living room.

Have Fun!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page