5020Ube Ghosting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,
I'm really enjoying my new Epson 5020UBe, but I'm having a little trouble with 3D ghosting. I really hope somebody can help me out!

My 3D image looks pretty good, but the far background, and closest foreground (subtitles and 3D menus) are ghosting pretty bad while the middle layers of 3D look perfect. I can forgive the subtitles, but it's rather annoying in movies like Prometheus or The Avengers that make good use of the far background.

I live in Japan, so my theater room is very small. I am projecting onto an 80 inch screen and seating distance is around 6 feet... I wonder if the distance makes a difference in this case?

I found that the 5020UBe has a 3D depth setting menu and tried all of the levels. So far 0 looked the best.

I'm currently using a PS3 to playback BluRay movies and there are XMB settings that allow for TV screen size. I tried a lot of different screen sizes on the PJ's settings, but only tried 60, 80 and 120 inch settings on the PS3 menu. All of them looked similar and all of them had ghosting. It takes forever since you have to stop playback and exit to the XMB to make changes! So, I'm wondering if the screen size settings make much difference?

Does anybody have any advise on the matter? Anything I should try?
I'd really, really appreciate some help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That level of ghosting on the 5020 does not sound right. I'm pretty sure there is something defective on your projector. If you telephone Epson support, they will send you a new one no problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

That level of ghosting on the 5020 does not sound right. I'm pretty sure there is something defective on your projector. If you telephone Epson support, they will send you a new one no problem.

Do you really think it's defective? Everything else seems absolutely perfect. I was really thinking its the settings fault. I'd hate to send it back and risk getting a replacement with other issues...

Adjusting the 3D depth on the PJ can make certain levels of 3D look perfect, but it sacrifices another level. I can't get a perfectly ghost free picture.

Do any other 5020UBe owners have a perfectly ghost free expirience?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Epson 3010. It was perfect at first, but after about 9 months, I noticed ghosting I had not seen before. I called Epson, they shipped me a replacement projector, and I could compare the two side by side. The replacement 3010 was much better - it has no ghosting that I can see. The ghosting was the only problem I had with my original 3010. So, I don't know how or why, but I do think some Epson projectors have or can develop a little problem with ghosting that just is not the way Epson designed or intended the projectors to be. Epson is real good about correcting that.

While you could probably make adjustments that reduce the apparent ghosting, you shouldn't have to. Any adjustments that helped ghosting would reduce the quality of the picture in some other way. For example, you could probably put the projector into a less bright mode and thereby see less ghosting. Also, you could probably reduce ghosting by reducing the contrast setting.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting... I'll give Epson a call this weekend and see what they can do for me.
I guess the main reason that I am hesitant is that I live in Japan. I actually have a TW8100w, the equivalent model to the 5020UBe.

Customer service is always good here no matter the product or service, but I'd be shocked if they just replaced the unit.
I'll see what they say!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

I called Epson and they were somewhat helpful, but they wouldn't exchange the unit. They were super polite and they offered to send somebody to my house!
Honestly though... After reading the comments, I decided that a replacement was the best route to take.

I bought it on Amazon Japan and they were really good about it. I'll have a new unit tomorrow night!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well... I got my replacement projector hooked up last night. The 3D image looks pretty much the same as it did on my 1st projector. Perhaps a very slight improvement. I still can't get every layer of parallax to look good.

I wonder if its my settings or distance from screen? Or is that just how it looks? It seems that a lot if people think the 5020UBe has near ghost free 3D, but that's not my expirience so far...

Any advise?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many fl to your screen? What kind of screen? What PJ settings are you using? What is your throw distance?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm surprised on top of surprised. I was sure a different 5020 would work great for you. Those projectors really should give a practically ghost free image, far better than what you describe. Wonder if it could possibly be the glasses, but you have probably by now tried about four different pair.

There is a film Epson puts on the glasses to protect them in shipment. Are you sure you pulled that off? Sorry to ask, but by now this is just puzzling.

Also, maybe make good and sure the glasses have a fully charged battery.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hahaha! Yeah... I totally took the film off.
Epson asked me that too! Usually have close to a full charge too.

My screen is an 80" Kikuchi Stylist white advance. It's an awesome screen.
Throw distance is about 9 feet.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update... I finally got an Oppo BDP-103, but I still have the same amount of ghosting on 3D movies.
So, that's two different projectors and new BD player with no improvement.
Was ghosting (crosstalk) so bad on older models that everybody thinks the 5020UBe is great?
I never expected the 3D to be perfect, but I'm fairly disappointed...

Any ideas?

To recap, my setup is as follows:

Totally light controlled room.
80" Kikuchi Stylist White Advance with 0.85 gain.
Oppo BDP-103 player with split AV.
9 foot throw to screen and we sit almost 8 feet away.
All normal settings on 3D mode on the projector.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I had seen posts by another 5020 owner who reported similar difficulty, in that he received several projectors, none giving satisfactory performance. I didn't want to believe that Epson - who I admire - could have bad enough quality control to send two bad projectors to the same customer, but I seriously think that is what is happening to you. You posted earlier that they offered to send out someone to your home. It is probably time for that, but I still think the ghosting you report can only come from a defective 5020 or defective glasses. Without any doubt, you are describing something vastly inferior to the picture the 5020 delivers to most customers. You are not just overly sensitive or anything like that.

I have had four 3D displays in my home, including one DLP, one passive LCD, and the Epson 3010 (2 of those). I have used them all to view many 3D movies and many 3D videos I produced myself. I don't claim to be any super expert, but I know what ghosting looks like, and I know what the Epson 3D projectors are capable of. Yours should be doing far better than what you see.

Maybe if you were setting extreme disparity values into your video player, you might be able to create objectionable ghosting, but that would require you to be telling your player that you were viewing on a 27 inch display when you were really using your 80 inch. And, your player would have to have a place to put in your display size (The PS3 does). As you noted in your original post, that is not your problem. The only other possibility I know is a defective 5020 or defective glasses. Sorry. Yo probably are just getting unusually bad luck.

Don't give up. A right 5020 is a thing of beauty in every way.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Have you tried more than one pair of 3D glasses. Also Epson's own brand of 3D glasses have three settings that allow you to trade-off the level of ghosting vs. image brightness (as seen through the 3D glasses). If using the Epson glasses, have you set the glasses for minimum ghosting (but also producing a dimmer image)? When set for the brightest image you should see obvious ghosting with the 5020, a little occasional ghosting at the middle setting, and only very rare cases of obvious ghosting with the low setting.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!

Before I call up Epson again, I'm really curious about setting the glasses...
I have two pairs of original Epson glasses, but never noticed any settings for them... Right now they are producing the same results...
I didn't know there were three settings!
Where can I find those settings? I didn't see them in the main menu. Do I need to set them when pairing?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, after some reseach, I figured that its the 3D brightness setting that is mentioned in the above posts. It didn't help ghosting at all... Just made the screen dimmer.

Losing hope... I might still call Epson out here, but I'm not sure what they can do.
I could also try to get another replacement from Amazon Japan... Maybe just return the unit and wait for a newer model to come out?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be a liberal policy of Amazon Japan to refund or even replace a projector after more than a month, but if they will, that would seem safest for you. Lacking that, Epson itself will surely make good on delivering to you a 5020 with no obvious ghosting. An Epson tech in your home will determine that your projector needs replacing, I'll bet.

I hope you speak some Japanese.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again!
I've been in Japan for almost 11 years, so Japanese is no problem... I explained the problem and Amazon was really cool about the situation. They are giving me a refund and the projector went out this afternoon... It was pretty much hassle free.

I'm actually a little sad to see the 5020UBe go, but in the end, I was really dissatisfied with it... Aside from the ghosting issues, I had a few other problems too... If the unit (or the small room) got too warm, the focus would go out. I was getting a little obsessive about checking it... Even my wife noticed that it was going out of focus sometimes...

Also the lens shift seemed a little loose. It only happened once, but I found that the picture had dropped about 8cm when I went to watch a movie the other day. I don't think there was an earthquake or anything to cause such a drastic change.

I'm sure that most people get good units and I don't doubt that they will love them, but I just had too much bad luck with mine. Anyways, I guess I'll wait for a newer flagship model to come out before buying again. I'm still willing to give Epson another shot in the future. Just gotta wait, I guess... I'm going to hook up my old (but trusty!) Epson TW1000 tonight and hopefully that'll hold me over until fall or winter. Do you guys think they'll announce new units around then?

Thanks again everybody!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post

If the unit (or the small room) got too warm, the focus would go out. I was getting a little obsessive about checking it... Even my wife noticed that it was going out of focus sometimes...
So same issue as the 5010 then , still not fixed.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post

Thanks again!
I've been in Japan for almost 11 years, so Japanese is no problem... I explained the problem and Amazon was really cool about the situation. They are giving me a refund and the projector went out this afternoon... It was pretty much hassle free.

I'm actually a little sad to see the 5020UBe go, but in the end, I was really dissatisfied with it... Aside from the ghosting issues, I had a few other problems too... If the unit (or the small room) got too warm, the focus would go out. I was getting a little obsessive about checking it... Even my wife noticed that it was going out of focus sometimes...

Also the lens shift seemed a little loose. It only happened once, but I found that the picture had dropped about 8cm when I went to watch a movie the other day. I don't think there was an earthquake or anything to cause such a drastic change.

I'm sure that most people get good units and I don't doubt that they will love them, but I just had too much bad luck with mine. Anyways, I guess I'll wait for a newer flagship model to come out before buying again. I'm still willing to give Epson another shot in the future. Just gotta wait, I guess... I'm going to hook up my old (but trusty!) Epson TW1000 tonight and hopefully that'll hold me over until fall or winter. Do you guys think they'll announce new units around then?

Thanks again everybody!

Most of the largest home theater projector manufacturers (including Epson) announce their new models in Sept. and begin shipping before the end of the year. No LCD nor LCoS projector will be totally 3D ghost (i.e, crosstalk) free because the current state of those technologies do not allow a short enough response time for the pixels to transition between opaque and transparent fast enough to provide a totally 3D ghost free result. Both the LCD and LCoS projectors I have tested take longer to transition the pixel from black to white than vice versa. As a result, dark objects against light background are more likely to show 3D ghosting. At this point DLP is the only projection techology capable to provided a totally ghost free 3D image, and that is only true if the active 3D glasses are ideally synchronized with the projector and if the glasses liquid crystal lenses can block well over 99% of the light when they are in the opaque state.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector