What Screen and projector to use with ambient light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to add a projector and motorized screen in my basement. I have a lot of windows in my basement and given the layout the best place to put the screen is in front of one of the windows. I will install a motorized screen and I want to be able to watch sports and play video games during the day and watch movies at night. I need your help to see if there is a projector and screen that will be able to handle this for me with good performance during the day. I realize a TV might be more suited because of the light in the room but I can't close the window and I figured there might be a projector and screen suitable for this. I want a 106" screen (this will cover the entire window with 16:9. I will have only 1 row of seating 11.5 feet from the screen. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your best bet will be the Da-lite High Power screen and a projector with lens shift so you can mount it on a shelf behind the viewers just a little above their heads when seated. That screen reflects light back toward whichever direction the light came from, so the projector light will go to the viewers eyes, and light coming in from the sides will tend to get deflected back to the sides and not so much interfere with the picture seen by the viewers. You will still want some kind of curtains on the windows to stop some of the light in the daytime. The least problem will be the light coming in from behind the screen, but to the extent that light gets distributed throughout the room, it can bounce off the screen into the viewers eyes, interfering with the picture.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have a ceiling height of 104" and I wanted to mount on the ceiling. I have blinds on all the windows but there is still light coming in. If i go with a high lumens projector will that help?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 149
No-one can say for sure without seeing how much light and the direction of the light. The most important thing is that the light is not too bright and that no light is hitting the screen directly.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Adding blackout blinds/curtains not an option? Depending on if the windows get direct sunlight, tinting can help as well. I have a french double door with builtin shades that still let in to much light, the extra dark tint I added helped alot.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page